nguyenMTL

If one more team is added (Halifax, Quebec City, etc), then I would be on board to abolish divisions.

Each team needs to play the same amount of games against every opponent, otherwise records are distorted.

Xvys

The advantage of having two divisions is obvious, having two playoff races rather than one. At least now all the eastern teams are still in the Grey Cup hunt. If there was only one division Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa would essentially out of the playoff race, looking up at the dominant western teams. There would be a commensurate drop-off in fan interest and support in the east.

The only people complaining are mainly the journalists, who like to nitpick criticisms about the CFL even when the games are exciting and fans are engaged.

I don't hear complaints from the 5th-place Western team saying they were robbed and should be in the playoffs because the East div. is so weak (at this time). A last place team has no right to demand a playoff berth, except for the toilet bowl.

The East/West Grey Cup format is traditional. We should remember the CFL was formed by the merging of the eastern Interprovincial Rugby Football Union (Big Four) with the Western Interprovincial Rugby Football Union, which were two separate leagues.

Just look at last season with a losing eastern team winning a thrilling Grey Cup victory against a supposedly far superior 15-win western team. Who's complaining? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

ro1313

I say the west should separate, form a new league and stop their endless whinning

brihind88

I say the west should separate, form a new league and stop their endless whinning
Yes, then use the East Division as a development system. 8)

This will go on as a debate.
How many threads have there been on this issue ?
I see both sides.

I just suggest all consider the following.
Are we willing to risk another East team folding out of principle?  I say no.

In the last 3 seasons, the " real Grey Cup " between the 2 best teams ( WF ) have been blow outs.
While the Grey Cup between the power West and the weak East could have gone either way.

Always be careful  what you wish for. You just might get it.

Vermonter

No way.

This is s'pose ta be Football. Not Futbol.

brihind88

In the event of a 1 league standing, someone please suggest how the scheduling would work.

9 teams, 18 games.

Each would play each other at least 2 X.

Then each team has to play a 3rd game at home and a 3rd on the road.

What formula would be in place ?  Keep in mind if you rid the divisions you can not schedule teams as though they were still in the division.

Can not have it both ways.

I think the correct way would be to have it based on the previous years standings :

9 - 8
8 - 7
7 - 6
6 - 5
5 - 4
4 - 3
3 - 2
2 - 1
1 - 9
I'd rather see it done this way:
9 - 8
8 - 7
7 - 9

6 - 5
5 - 4
4 - 6

3 - 2
2 - 1
1 - 3

Your way would give more of reward to the top team and more punishment for the bottom team, which does make sense on one level. However, my way would probably lead to more close match-ups, though it would favour the weaker teams.
Yes, I was thinking teams should earn the opponent like play-offs.
However, looking at it , your system makes more logic.

StormRider1

In a nine team league, with west and east. It makes no sense to me when the last team in the west has more wins than the top team in the east.. or tied. As a team as a player, it's not really fair if you have more wins, but other teams are in play-offs and your not. we can keep two div. but top 6 teams go to play-offs. regardless which div they play in, to me that's fair. JMHO

Vermonter

Nope.

If you are the worst team in your division, then you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. 

With the crossover, the worst team in each division is eliminated, as well as the worst remaining team after that; regardless of what division they play in. 

Perfect. 

dcmoses

Rather than sell the idea (I have been advocating for this for a few seasons now) let's look at the reasons why people don't want it.

1) East-West Grey Cup - Apparently no one wants an all west or all east Grey Cup yet twice while Winnipeg was playing in the east that we had Winnipeg represent the east. You can say they were an eastern team at the time but I know some Bomber fans that would take great exception to that. Those years the Grey Cup did not suffer so that excuse is a non starter.

2) Unbalanced schedule - No reason for the schedule to change. Everyone plays a home and away against every other team and there is no reason the remaining 2 games can't stay within the traditional geographic boundaries, especially for natural rivalries. No schedule change, no loss of extra rivalry games, no added travel costs vs current schedule regardless of divisional alignment.

3) Tradition - We can't eliminate the east-west it's tradition. Bull! The league has been in an almost constant state of change over the decades. We have seen teams in the US, 2 point conversion, extra point kick moved back, end zone size changed, video review with it's endless changes, dropping LDC games from the schedule and let's not forget the ever evolving playoff system. Little has ever stayed static in the CFL so the idea that tradition is so entrenched we can't change things is easily proven with just the small list above.

4) One division would eliminate teams from playoffs faster - Double Bull!!! More teams would have been in the playoff hunt longer last season had it been one division. Currently, Ottawa is 7 points out of a playoff spot and Hamilton 10 points, but if the league was one division Ottawa would be 3 points out and Hamilton 6. That loud explosion is that point being blown apart. Two divisions actually eliminates teams and puts them out of contention faster.

Where is the down side to this. Well OK, you would have less regional rivalries in playoff games and travel by out of town teams fans would be tougher, but that exists in the regular season. And I am aware that the top 2 teams met last year in the west final which was not a close game, but why must they meet in a semi final? The regular season should mean something especially when 2/3 of your league qualifies for playoffs yet Edmonton (10-8) had to go on the road against 7-11 Hamilton for the right to play 8-9-1 Ottawa who got the home game after a week off. That punishes the Eskies for being better than the east teams.

One division is fair, rewards teams who do well in the regular season rather than teams who play in a weak division, has zero financial impact, zero scheduling impact in a league that has had no problem messing with tradition in the past.

If you are against this the only reason can be fear of change. Step into the 21st century and embrace change. It is ridiculous to have 2 divisions in a 9 team league.

dcmoses

Nope.

If you are the worst team in your division, then you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

With the crossover, the worst team in each division is eliminated, as well as the worst remaining team after that; regardless of what division they play in.

Perfect.
Fair enough. Then in those years let's drop the playoffs to 4 teams because if the worst team in the division doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs then teams in the other division with worse records surely don't deserve a playoff spot either. Or is a poor record only poor based on how many teams are above you in your division.
This argument is a little ridiculous when you put it into reality. You're saying the 3-5 Argos deserve a playoff spot right now but the 3-4 Riders don't? That's some fancy rationalization there. 

Vermonter

Yep, just like NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and every other sport under the sun that has divisions. 

Vermonter

Of course I naturally object to any format change that decreases the chances of an all-Ontario East Division Playoff Bracket.  8)

raymarkca

Yes the East sucks, but that has nothing to do with being in the East.   I prefer sticking to tradition East vs West in the Grey Cup.  I absolutely hate whenever a crossover team might make the Grey Cup.   At some point the East teams will get better, they simply have to.   That said as crappy as the East is who is the reigning Grey Cup champs?  Oh ya Ottawa an East team.  Leave the divisions alone, if anything remove the crossover.  Put more energy into making the East teams better and less energy into making these arbitrary temp solutions.
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates.  Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Warning subject matter may require thinking outside the box.
Visit
http://www.raymark.ca

cflisthebest

You have to keep an east vs West Grey Cup.

West vs west in the Grey Cup would mean the eastern cities would shut off the tvs.  

You cant alienate major markets like Toronto and Montreal.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!

depopulationINC

I am sure that one grouping and the potential of teams not having the chance at a home playoff game for years on end will do wonders for teams that might already be struggling. 

Users Online

64 Guests, 2 Users (14 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, Yahoo!, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)