PTBO Dave

Make the CIS a mandatory prerequisite.

The Canadian players that go to the NCAA are too tainted.
Huh?

So you want to bar some of the very best Canadian football players from playing in the CFL too? That's beyond absurd.
Come on, that's not nearly absurd enough. I say we also exclude any player tainted by a past experience of 4-down football. So for all those HS players in BC and Ontario whose schools play 4-down ball: barred.

Vermonter

Huh?

So you want to bar some of the very best Canadian football players from playing in the CFL too? That's beyond absurd.
Come on, that's not nearly absurd enough. I say we also exclude any player tainted by a past experience of 4-down football. So for all those HS players in BC and Ontario whose schools play 4-down ball: barred.
Good point.

Excluding Simon Fraser alone doesn't quite get the job done. 

EastVanMark

Huh?

Why we're at it, why not bar anyone who has ever even watched an NFL or NCAA game on TV?

During the combine ask prospects who Tom Brady is? If any of them answer; "a football player," immediately disqualify them from the draft.

FootbalYouBet

heh heh heh, you guys are just too funny
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

Paolo X

A large portion on NFL players are rejected too. The average career length of NFL cornerbacks is 2.9 yrs, receivers 2.8 yrs, running backs 2.5 yrs and overall 3.3 yrs. That's a lot of NFL player turnover every 3.3 years, the entire team on average. The CFL probably gets the cream of NFL rejects...and there's a lot of them!
Well yes of course. Anyway, those averages are way down at 3 years or less as opposed to more at 4 years or less, so there is a bigger selection of these players for the CFL than ever I would think. These are not the players whom FYB is referencing in his original post though.

It's noteworthy that many players are cut after only three seasons after playing mostly special teams, for they are deemed too expensive at that point if they have not become at least solid backups in any given position. A few of these are former CFL players who saw limited action on offence or defence too. A few of these players also are retained for high performance as special teams aces though.

The NFL is on course to virtually eliminate all kickoffs, so I have to wonder how much lower these averages will go given even more turnover for such special teams players for quite limited roles as they are groomed into playing potentially their positions.
Best Regards, Paolo

FootbalYouBet

Well I guess we differ here.
I think you are saying that whoever NFL does not sign or want we shouldn't either.
For someone who won't go to the states you seem to be giving them a lot of authority in our league.
it is not about who the NFL doesn't want but rather the reasons why

I prefer players that are good role models.

depopulationINC

I think you are saying that whoever NFL does not sign or want we shouldn't either.
For someone who won't go to the states you seem to be giving them a lot of authority in our league.

I prefer my kids don't see athletes as role models and it is something we have rather instilled in them.  If someone's kids see an athlete as a role model, I suggest they need to be exposed to something more.  A role model, to me, is a volunteer emergency response unit, or a teacher who stays late to coach kids, or an author who invokes progressive thinking.  Nothing wrong with being in general admiration of a player's game, and those that reach out into the unity a lot, I will even give that, but looking at "stars" as role models is a dangerous slope IMO

FootbalYouBet

I prefer my kids don't see athletes as role models and it is something we have rather instilled in them.  If someone's kids see an athlete as a role model, I suggest they need to be exposed to something more.  A role model, to me, is a volunteer emergency response unit, or a teacher who stays late to coach kids, or an author who invokes progressive thinking.  Nothing wrong with being in general admiration of a player's game, and those that reach out into the unity a lot, I will even give that, but looking at "stars" as role models is a dangerous slope IMO
I think there is a difference between being a role model and an idol.  Anyone can be a role model no matter what they do. 

depopulationINC

I prefer my kids don't see athletes as role models and it is something we have rather instilled in them.  If someone's kids see an athlete as a role model, I suggest they need to be exposed to something more.  A role model, to me, is a volunteer emergency response unit, or a teacher who stays late to coach kids, or an author who invokes progressive thinking.  Nothing wrong with being in general admiration of a player's game, and those that reach out into the unity a lot, I will even give that, but looking at "stars" as role models is a dangerous slope IMO
I think there is a difference between being a role model and an idol.  Anyone can be a role model no matter what they do.
Can be and should be are 2 different things.  Role model and idol are 2 different things.  You stated role model.  I can't force who my kids see as a role model, but I can sure guide them towards a better example than your average athlete.  I really don't care who they idolize.

Aerial

No question, who cares who they idolize as long as that person is credible and has integrity and values consistent with being a solid citizen in society.  Gay, straight, weed smoker, non weed smoker, transgender etc.  The key question is are they simply "good people" who wish no harm to others and have a peaceful attitude towards everyone, regardless of religion, race etc.  
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

pikk

Notice how airlifting NFL'ers that don't make it  ,seem to have slowed down big time in the last few yrs. At one time everybody waited for the final cuts. So it seems the league is getting better at finding players before the final cuts. Or not?

Aerial

Well you do what you have to do to win, you guessed it, Canada's national football championship the Grey Cup, whether it be "NFL rejects" or some guy from Siberia, whatever.  Or Canadians that are all from NCAA programs, or Canadians from all CIS programs, whatever, matters not.

You just do what it takes to win The Cup that makes sense to a team's budget within the rules of course.  Just like any other league out there, you do what you can do, within the rules, to win the championship.  Teams themselves, whatever league, IMHO, have no obligation to try and "sell the league or game", their only obligation is to their fans, their players and their supporters to try and win.

No team has any obligation at all to sign Manziel to "sell the league" if they don't feel he brings best value for the buck to be Grey Cup champs.  Once the league starts implementing some policy on a team to have to sign a guy that they have rights to to sell tickets, then I lose total respect for the league.    It's up to the team to decide after camp whether the guy deserves a roster spot or not.

depopulationINC

Notice how airlifting NFL'ers that don't make it  ,seem to have slowed down big time in the last few yrs. At one time everybody waited for the final cuts. So it seems the league is getting better at finding players before the final cuts. Or not?
I think the deeper NFL rosters now play a part in that.  They have what...10 more players per team than a decade ago?

CFL Pete

Wilder, Jeffcoat, Tasker and Duron Carter are all sons of NFL greats.  Maybe the answer isn't NFL castoffs but the sons of former stars.

brianjoxx

THAT is very very well said. Ditto

Users Online

60 Guests, 0 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (12)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)