Grover

Darren Rovell‏Verified account
@darrenrovell

JUST IN: Players in new pro football league, @TheAAF, will be given three-year, $250,000 contracts

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24076702/alliance-american-football-players-get-3-year-250k-contracts

That is about $85K US per szn

CFL starts at about $45K US

Also they have no obligation to honour CFL contracts like the NFL does :o

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Balticfox

The legal obligation still holds though. Breach of contract I believe is not just a civil offence but a criminal offence.

Radically Canadian!

Grover

No matter what, the CFLPA just got in a better position for the upcoming contract negotiations,
Look for a big increase in the cap

Here is how player allocation is going to work(they even mention the CFL)

Mightygoose

Is the 250K over 3 years across the board? The article doesn't specify if this is a minimum or maximum amount.

I guess if a CFL under contract wants to bolt, then the team will just suspend him without pay and then he burns his bridges if he doesn't work out in the AAF.

The seasons don't overlap so I don't see a mass exodus occurring but a bargaining chip for the PA during CBA negotiations more likely.

Edit on the above: If a player is outside of phase 1 and they only have CFL experience, how does that allocate them to a specific AAF team?

Grover

sth1988

It will be interesting to see what the CFLPA does with rookie salaries next CBA.   If they are sacrificed again then you may not see as much talent coming north.  At least until this new league folds....like every other pro football league down south does.

Mightygoose

Appreciate the link.

So it appears the 250K/over 3 years is a minimum but they can earn bonuses to earn more.

The CFL to AAF allocation, looks western CFL teams can be allocated to AAF west teams and v.v.

Yes, the PA will have some leverage here. The AAF is backed by CBS, not sure how much they're paying. Does this help the CFL with upcoming TV rights so they can stay competitive?

Balticfox

I guess if a CFL under contract wants to bolt, then the team will just suspend him without pay and then he burns his bridges if he doesn't work out in the AAF.
The CFL team could also sue the AAF team for breach of contract, and that's a big deal these days. Remember that T. Boone Pickens bankrupted Texaco for breach of contract and that funeral home operator Loewen Group was left banrupt after what appeared to be a penny-ante breach of contract suit in Louisiana.

:-\

rshmglsky

Appreciate the link.

So it appears the 250K/over 3 years is a minimum but they can earn bonuses to earn more.

The CFL to AAF allocation, looks western CFL teams can be allocated to AAF west teams and v.v.

Yes, the PA will have some leverage here. The AAF is backed by CBS, not sure how much they're paying. Does this help the CFL with upcoming TV rights so they can stay competitive?
The CFL season doesn't start till June. This new league could fail by then.

Hank01

The biggest thing is why does the CFL have trouble with a secondary and further down the list broadcaster TV south of the border while CBS is going with this unknown quantity the AAF . Giving it credibility off the mark .

Not that the CFL could muster anything like that without US teams but they should be able to get all there games over the air in traditional media of TV then arrange for all games to be on the net as well .

ESPN 2 is sporadic and non existent past mid August until almost Grey Cup .This terrible coverage is a poor way to grow the league.

burnsy99

don't know much about Americans but do they really want a second football league? Especially when the rest have failed? I'm a big hockey fan but if another league started in the summer I wouldn't watch cuz I wouldn't care and would never care. Down there its NFL and university football in the fall and winter and then the off season. These dummies who keep trying to bring in new football leagues are just throwing their money down the tubes

Connecticut Yankee

The CFL's Canadian media rights with Bell(TSN) were extended this past off-season till 2021.
The CFL's US/UK/International media rights expire this off season.The league has to avoid giving
the rights up for longer than 3 years.They have to have the ability to sync up the negotiations
in 2021 to get the payout they need to survive.

AAF is backed by venture capital(much like a Tech start-up).Some of the investors include
Peter Thiel, Peter Chernin, and Colony Capital.The objective is to eventually have the NFL 
buy an equity stake that eventually leads to a complete buyout and thus become the true 
official minor league of the NFL.The NFL has historically avoided the initial costs that would 
be associated with such a project and this is an attempt to have someone else do the heavy
lifting.The NFL old guard(Jerry Jones,Bob Kraft) are going to be replaced by their children soon,
who are business school/beancounter types.They will see the value in buying it.  

Can it survive it's initial season? 
I would count on it(Peter Thiel does not spend his money foolishly). 2020 could be a different 
story with The XFL coming into the picture.This is why you see them being very public with 
their salary offers.They want to lock up as many of the street free agents that are currently
available. (this is before the next wave of NFL cuts arrive after Labor Day).

Is this going to have an effect on player recruitment?
Considering the fact that the current crop of CFL personnel people don't scout FCS/D2/D3 players
for philosophical reasons(Dave Ritchie mentality).The NFLPA is going to be very interested in 
trying to use The XFL/AAF player membership as a bargaining chip in labor negotiations in 2021.
(games played = Pension points).That will be very enticing to potential players/agents.
The CFL's cost cutting measures on the personnel side are not doing themselves any favors. 
The next two off-season recruitment cycles are going to be very interesting. 

Dust

The league can pay as much as it wants but if it doesn't last past a season or two you won't see it hurt the CFL.  This seems to happen every few seasons, this league has some sort of TV deal at least so it's slightly better off than it's failed predecessors.

bobo82

Great explanation here

http://3downnation.com/2018/07/12/players-in-alliance-of-american-football-league-to-be-paid-3-year-250k-contracts/
Did I read that right or is it a misprint ? Each team is to have a 75 man roster ? If true that's a ridiculous number . Doing the math with 22 starters on offence/defence plus most likely 2 kickers per team that would leave approx 51 reserve or back-ups per team . Which would mean a helluva lot of players not even seeing the field at 3rd or 4th string status being paid $83,000 just for showing up for practice .

When you compare it with the NFL roster size max of 53 man and the CFL at 46 man having a mandated 75 man roster is mind boggling to say the least . Basically with 8 franchises granted this newbie league is looking at with rosters this size at having 600 players under contract at approx $83,000 per man when it starts up in February for only a 10 gm schedule . Not really sure where they expect the revenue to come from with only 5 home gms per team to cover the overhead unless that is that they have one heck of a TV package and contract in place and a lot of owners with deep,deep pockets .

Good luck to them because I can't see this one getting off the ground
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

pw13

The legal obligation still holds though. Breach of contract I believe is not just a civil offence but a criminal offence.
I would be extremely surprised if it's a criminal offence. I can't imagine that it's in the Criminal Code.

Users Online

92 Guests, 14 Users (23 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Abendschan, Balticfox, rcon, mycko75, MrLucky, kfan, Mightygoose, FootbalYouBet, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)