Chestmaster

The forum is an important medium for educated fans and is well operated.  Kudos on the fine work.
It's a rather nice forum with good people cept that PTBO guy .
Posted using the new Blackberry Keyone

PTBO Dave

The forum is an important medium for educated fans and is well operated.  Kudos on the fine work.
Uh-oh, Chesty-M is back. 

FootbalYouBet

Tried this once before, now I will try it in the right place.

I am thinking that it would be good to have an OTHER ENTERTAINMENT forum.  A place to discussion of things like the Movie Review, Chess and other strategy games, TV shows, Music, etc.   This would be specially good for off season like now.  March is turning out to be a very slow month here.  Being able to engage in expanded discussions can result in more poster bonding, for better or for worse.

I would appreciate feedback from Sully, Mods, and other posters.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

beaglehound

Tried this once before, now I will try it in the right place.

I am thinking that it would be good to have an OTHER ENTERTAINMENT forum.  A place to discussion of things like the Movie Review, Chess and other strategy games, TV shows, Music, etc.   This would be specially good for off season like now.  March is turning out to be a very slow month here.  Being able to engage in expanded discussions can result in more poster bonding, for better or for worse.

I would appreciate feedback from Sully, Mods, and other posters.
I hear you FYB and I'm sure Sully and the other mods hear you.  I'll  make a few comments with your understanding that I am not speaking for Sully, RedandWhite, PTBODave or Guelphcatsfan.  I'll begin with a slightly paraphrased comment Sully [Administrator] made some time ago expressing his goal for the CFL site:

The strategy[goal] is to encourage insanely in depth conversation about football.

While it is true there is the "Other Leagues and Sports" forum where any other sports from golf to hockey can be discussed that would be for the purpose of having something for all sports minded participants.

Some have wondered why The Movie Reviews forum remained when it has nothing to do with sports.  Sully gave the reason for that and those who asked were not complaining as much as simply curious.

We are all social beings and most of us enjoy the camaraderie displayed on these forums thus the desire to bond with like minded individuals.    Some have developed friendships that have gone beyond the forums themselves.  That is a bonus.  These are cool things for sure but....

You did say, "for better or worse" and there in lies the rub. As you are aware, Sully, after much thought and consultation behind the scenes, made the difficult decision to retire the Off-Topic forum.  This was his comment:

"Aug 14 2017, 06:55 AM ┬╗
Hi all - after some consultation and discussion behind the scenes, early this morning, I moved the Off Topic forum area to be read-only and inaccessible to regular forum users.

The issue at hand here is that the forum has taken on an all-politics bent in the last year or two, and the tone of the political posts is almost always oppositional, divisive and just plain ugly. I don't think anyone wishes to prevent that discourse from happening, but for a website dedicated to football, it's a little off-side.

I'll be moving some topics we consider "grandfathered" into the CFL Talk area, such as KevinRiley's movie reviews topic. But otherwise, as of now, please move your political discussions off-site. We really do hope this slowly starts to repair the enmities that's built up between forum members due to our political differences.

The great thing about football is that it's often an amazing spectacle that unites all of us fans, even if we're cheering for opposite sides. I'd like to give that a chance to flower again.
 Thank you for your cooperation,
 Sully"

I would add that while Sully said that the issue was that the forum took an " all-politics" bent I would take that one step further and say that some posters were using the forum as their personal platform to promote their own agendas whether it had to do with abortion, the environment, religion, the LGBT community or  their contempt for certain politicians,  and so on.    Reams of copy and pastes would be posted to the point that some members were wondering if they had logged onto the CFL website, National Geographic or The Learning Channel!  Regardless, such controversial topics ultimately led to divisiveness and ugliness which was destroying the CFL site's goals.  

This August 2018 it will be one year since the Off-Topic forum was retired and this moderator has seen a definite improvement in both tone and respect towards other posters since that decision was made.  Yes, we still have to remind and on occasion ban certain individuals who just don't get it but that is the reality of these kinds of forums.  Trying to maintain the peace so all can enjoy is one of the goals.  Trying to be consistent is another goal.  Creating a safe environment that doesn't deteriorate into an intimidating environment is another goal. 

I personally am not against a so called "Entertainment" forum if it helps getting through the off-season doldrums and promotes "bonding" and friendly discourse but I'm not for the "for better or worse" position.    I'm okay with not having such a forum if it means avoiding the potential that such a forum will simply become another off-topic forum under the so called guise of "entertainment topics".  And that can definitely happen.
I cannot see how a discussion about playing tiddliwinks or board games could deteriorate into a full blown quarrel but on the other hand, when speaking of entertainment, I can see a discussion about a talk show program aired the night before vilifying Trump blah blah can go off the rails.   And it doesn't have to be political or religious in nature to go off the rails.

If posters can live with the judgement calls that moderators sometimes have to make when deciding where it is necessary to edit and if need be remove what we believe has the potential of leading to divisiveness and discord and those posters don't start crying fowl or "why are we being oppressed" it might work.    

Bottom line FYB?  Most posters have the temperament and maturity to remain civil and respect the rules and parameters.  Some will never agree with how a site is being moderated.   Some will always be opposed to intervention. The now retired Off-Topic forum demonstrated that. 

Ultimately, Sully will make the decision on whether or not an "Entertainment" forum is warranted, needed or appropriate.   As a moderator I will support whatever decision he makes. As a regular poster/member I would support whatever decision he made on the matter.

Hope this has been helpful.

RedandWhite

There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

FootbalYouBet

Red, I expect all mods would be ok with whatever decision Sully makes, but what would you say if he asked for your input.

Beagle, when I said for better or for worse, I did not mean about posters conduct but rather whether or not the bonding would be a desired thing.

I think since the new guidelines and such that the present crew of mods are doing quite well with present forums and it would go well enough with such a forum as I suggest also.

beaglehound

Beagle, when I said for better or for worse, I did not mean about posters conduct but rather whether or not the bonding would be a desired thing.

Got it FYB.  Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I was thinking along a different vein. :-[

Chestmaster

Uh-oh, Chesty-M is back.

You missed me yah? Mod job was easy while i was away?
Edit.... still cant post pictures lol

PTBO Dave

You missed me yah? Mod job was easy while i was away?
Edit.... still cant post pictures lol
Yes, and yes.

And, there you go, lol.

Abendschan

Hi Sully, I couldn't delete my own post in the Essay thread. Is this something over looked, should be an available option to the poster if a mistake is made within a 10 min. time frame perhaps though.

Edit: My 2 posts Quoting myself by mistake have been deleted. Thanks 

CFL Pete

In his excellent book, The Water Boy, Bobby Ackles used to like the phrase, "He drank his own bathwater" about guys who me-first. 

Let's keep the comments about fellow posters to a minimum, except in complimentary terms.  Or, in disagreement, to show respect. 

Nothing worse than reading back and forths between contributors that have nothing to do with the CFL.

Don't drink your own bathwater!

Keep the comments about football.

Users Online

59 Guests, 0 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (9)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)