MrLucky

Bring back smoking cowboy face
+1 for this!!!!!!

sambo42

The one thing I would like to see that if a moderator or admin deletes a post, he/she must PM the author and identify WHY he deleted said post. The form that this could take is to copy and paste the post to the member who made it, and clearly state the rule that it violated.

PTBO Dave

The one thing I would like to see that if a moderator or admin deletes a post, he/she must PM the author and identify WHY he deleted said post. The form that this could take is to copy and paste the post to the member who made it, and clearly state the rule that it violated.
This does make sense, and I'm trying to be more communicative when I take mod actions. 

Having said that, the process you describe makes more work, and for a new poster or first-time offender it is justified. But for posters who willfully and repeatedly add swear words or try to hijack threads away from the topic, the extra work may not be worth it.

sambo42

I understand your point about the work not being worth it, but I was thinking about more about checks and balances. The mods are accountable to the admins, but who are the admins accountable to? At least if the mod has to PM the person who post he deleted, they have can some type of discussion about why... and in most cases that doesn't happen, which may be frustrating to the poster. I grant that a discussion may be not be the best course, but at least you know where you stand, and it might even make a mod think twice about just deleting posts for no reason.

beaglehound

I understand your point about the work not being worth it, but I was thinking about more about checks and balances. The mods are accountable to the admins, but who are the admins accountable to? At least if the mod has to PM the person who post he deleted, they have can some type of discussion about why... and in most cases that doesn't happen, which may be frustrating to the poster. I grant that a discussion may be not be the best course, but at least you know where you stand, and it might even make a mod think twice about just deleting posts for no reason.
Points well taken Sambo but it has not been my experience that mods delete posts for "no reason".  I say this as both a regular poster and as a moderator. 

When you say that a mod will think twice about 'just deleting posts for no reason' that is where I would take issue.  Unless a moderator has made an honest mistake and we sometimes do, then in all likelihood deleting the post was justified.  

If a poster is really and honestly puzzled as to why his post was deleted then I have  no problem with the poster contacting me for an explanation.  If I've not made an error then that is all the poster should get-  an explanation, not an opportunity to debate because he doesn't like something.    He may not like the explanation and that is unfortunate.   

"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."

Users Online

65 Guests, 8 Users (3 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Sidney, SteelCitySteve, everyman, Ramrod, Argo Tailgater, Google (3)

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)