MrLucky

Bring back smoking cowboy face
+1 for this!!!!!!

sambo42

The one thing I would like to see that if a moderator or admin deletes a post, he/she must PM the author and identify WHY he deleted said post. The form that this could take is to copy and paste the post to the member who made it, and clearly state the rule that it violated.

PTBO Dave

The one thing I would like to see that if a moderator or admin deletes a post, he/she must PM the author and identify WHY he deleted said post. The form that this could take is to copy and paste the post to the member who made it, and clearly state the rule that it violated.
This does make sense, and I'm trying to be more communicative when I take mod actions. 

Having said that, the process you describe makes more work, and for a new poster or first-time offender it is justified. But for posters who willfully and repeatedly add swear words or try to hijack threads away from the topic, the extra work may not be worth it.

sambo42

I understand your point about the work not being worth it, but I was thinking about more about checks and balances. The mods are accountable to the admins, but who are the admins accountable to? At least if the mod has to PM the person who post he deleted, they have can some type of discussion about why... and in most cases that doesn't happen, which may be frustrating to the poster. I grant that a discussion may be not be the best course, but at least you know where you stand, and it might even make a mod think twice about just deleting posts for no reason.

beaglehound

I understand your point about the work not being worth it, but I was thinking about more about checks and balances. The mods are accountable to the admins, but who are the admins accountable to? At least if the mod has to PM the person who post he deleted, they have can some type of discussion about why... and in most cases that doesn't happen, which may be frustrating to the poster. I grant that a discussion may be not be the best course, but at least you know where you stand, and it might even make a mod think twice about just deleting posts for no reason.
Points well taken Sambo but it has not been my experience that mods delete posts for "no reason".  I say this as both a regular poster and as a moderator. 

When you say that a mod will think twice about 'just deleting posts for no reason' that is where I would take issue.  Unless a moderator has made an honest mistake and we sometimes do, then in all likelihood deleting the post was justified.  

If a poster is really and honestly puzzled as to why his post was deleted then I have  no problem with the poster contacting me for an explanation.  If I've not made an error then that is all the poster should get-  an explanation, not an opportunity to debate because he doesn't like something.    He may not like the explanation and that is unfortunate.   

Iconic SR

Once the new Maritimes CFL franchise in Halifax is announced (which could be very soon) - can you immediately give them their own team forum in here? Commish Ambrosie always talks about the importance of coast to coast CFL inclusion etc. What a better way to begin the relationship than by giving them their own forum identity in here?

sully

Once the new Maritimes CFL franchise in Halifax is announced (which could be very soon) - can you immediately give them their own team forum in here? Commish Ambrosie always talks about the importance of coast to coast CFL inclusion etc. What a better way to begin the relationship than by giving them their own forum identity in here?
Love the idea, but I think it's too easily misinterpreted by fans and media as an indication that something is about to happen (as in official franchise status). I'll confer internally on this but I suspect it's best to way and create the new area ten seconds after an official announcement. :)
I'm the Senior Director of Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

Iconic SR

Love the idea, but I think it's too easily misinterpreted by fans and media as an indication that something is about to happen (as in official franchise status). I'll confer internally on this but I suspect it's best to way and create the new area ten seconds after an official announcement. :)
I agree, best to let the league make it official, wait the 10 seconds, then go hard👍🏼

TravelPat1

Question about a locked topic.

I noticed on the main CFL Board that a post about Ti-Cats coaach Glanville was locked on the main board with the reason given was because it had already been posted on the Ti-Cats board.

I'm a Ti-Cats fan so I read the main CFL Forum and the Ti-Cats Forum but I never go into any of the other team forums nor do I comment there.

There are often topics on the main board specific to players, coaches or other things specific to one team that get discussed by fans of all teams on the main board. Those same topics if about the Ti-Cats often appear on the Cat's board with often completely different perspectives and/or views by Ti-Cats fans compared to comments made by fans of other teams on the main boards.

So I'm not sure why that thread was locked on the main forum.   If other similar articles appear about a coach of another team are limited to being posted only on that team's thread then I'm likely to never see it nor comment on it.

And just one other thing. For years on the Cats board there have been discussions allowed about Hamilton specific things that were not specific to the CFL or the Ti-Cats. There were heavily viewed threads on thing like the LRT or other local issues. Often there were threads about other sports related topics in the Hamilton area including the Hamilton Bulldogs. And it was not an issue for the users of the Cats board to have the odd thread like that there. We did not have an 'Off Topic' thread on the Ti-Cats fan boards. 

Recently I noticed a thread about the Bulldogs (who are doing great this year) get moved from the Cats board to the main board's Other Sports section - a section where few Cats board members venture or participate. 

The problem with that although technically understandable by the rules of the board is that there are many Ti-Cats forum users who don't often go to the main CFL board never mind search out the off topic section of it. Many have the Ti-Cats board either bookmaked directly or access it directly via a link on the team's website (ticats.ca).

So now there is a Hamilton Bulldogs thread on the league's main off topic forum - which is probably of little or no interest to anyone outside Hamilton - and local Hamilton sports fans who check specifically the Ti-Cats forums and who used to comment on threads like that - never find those to comment.

That's unfortunate IMO.

beaglehound

"There are often topics on the main board specific to players, coaches or other things specific to one team that get discussed by fans of all teams on the main board....So I'm not sure why that thread was locked on the main forum."  

The thread was locked because it was cross posting which we try to discourage. The poster had already posted the same post in duplicate on the Ticat forum.  The topic that was locked came after.  Secondly, any CFL members who might be interested in that particular topic were directed to where it would be found so no one lost out on anything.   And lastly, it would make no sense to have comments/responses split between two forums about an identical topic not to mention issues of continuity.

"If other similar articles appear about a coach of another team are limited to being posted only on that team's thread then I'm likely to never see it nor comment on it."

Then the best place would be to post on the CFL Talk forum if the poster is looking for maximum exposure but not the same post on two or more forums.  

"Those same topics if about the Ti-Cats often appear on the Cat's board with often completely different perspectives and/or views by Ti-Cats fans compared to comments made by fans of other teams on the main boards."

Why should the location of a topic determine the perspective/view a Ticat fan expresses?   As you are aware CFLers are welcome to visit any team forum but always keeping in mind the sanctity of the 'safe haven' principle.  That however, has more to do with etiquette and not perspective/points of view.

I would assume that a Ticat fan would express the same point of view or perspective whether he were expressing it on CFL Talk or on the team forum.

"Recently I noticed a thread about the Bulldogs (who are doing great this year) get moved from the Cats board to the main board's Other Sports section..."  

Not sure who moved it or when but it is perfectly logical why it was moved and appears under"Other Leagues and Sports" since The Bulldogs is a hockey team.  

Thank you for your comments. :)

TravelPat1

Thanks for the reply Beaglehound. Just one final comment on this topic for me in the hope moderators rethink this for the good of the board 

There always have been if not 'duplicate' threads - certainly what could be considered duplicate threads and always have been on the Cats board and the main forum board. Sometimes I or other regular participants in the Cats board have started threads on the main board that were originally on the Cats board because we've (rightly based on participation levels) assumed that those stories would have been interest to more than just Ti-Cats fans. And vice versa. Often stories we see started on the main board we use the same link to a recording or newspaper or online story to the Cats board. And often that has been done by the same poster to both boards within minutes of each other over the several years I've participated in both boards.  

And yes there is some overlap in who participates in those discussions - but several participants - I would venture to say - the majority of participants in 'duplicate' threads - are unique to either the main boards and others unique to the Cats fan boards. And that makes sense because so many Cats board participants do not go to the main CFL board - at least they seldom do. 

Just look at the last few pages of each board and you will find several examples. There have been threads in both boards started the same time (or within minutes) by the same posters in the past on Manziel (a few threads related to him on both boards as different news came out about him), the James Wilder hold out with the Argos, and others.

Limiting these discussions to one board or the other is just that - limiting. And I would think the goal of the CFL boards should be to maximize participation across all boards - not limit it.  

PTBO Dave

I think in general there won't be much of a problem with similar threads in different forums. But the ones in question come off as veiled advertisements, so I think it was wise to shut the main forum one down and keep an eye on the other. 

judging by how the poster has not returned to the thread to off insight or opinion on the material linked to, it was the correct call.

We want to foster an environment in which lots of folks interested in the CFL and its teams feel comfortable to come, post, and discuss. Allowing that kind of advertising to go unchecked is one way to damage that environment.

TravelPat1

I think in general there won't be much of a problem with similar threads in different forums. But the ones in question come off as veiled advertisements, so I think it was wise to shut the main forum one down and keep an eye on the other.

judging by how the poster has not returned to the thread to off insight or opinion on the material linked to, it was the correct call.

We want to foster an environment in which lots of folks interested in the CFL and its teams feel comfortable to come, post, and discuss. Allowing that kind of advertising to go unchecked is one way to damage that environment.
OK - I lied. One more post.

If indeed that was the intent - i.e. advertising and that was the reason for deleting it - I've got absolutely no problem with that. But that was not the reason given originally - which is why I commented.

I also found it a bit confusing that reference was made to team boards being 'safe havens' given during the explanation of why the initial thread was locked on the main board.  In reality that 'safe havens' argument - is in fact an argument for allowing a topic to be in both places.  

Because if a Riders fan for example - were to listen to the Glanville interview and want to comment in a negative way my understanding is they should reserve those comments to be on the main board and not be critical of Ti-Cats related stuff or fans speaking in support of Glanville in the Cats fan boards. Or am I not understanding this 'safe havens' rule?

Abendschan

OK - I lied. One more post.

If indeed that was the intent - i.e. advertising and that was the reason for deleting it - I've got absolutely no problem with that. But that was not the reason given originally - which is why I commented.

I also found it a bit confusing that reference was made to team boards being 'safe havens' given during the explanation of why the initial thread was locked on the main board.  In reality that 'safe havens' argument - is in fact an argument for allowing a topic to be in both places.  

Because if a Riders fan for example - were to listen to the Glanville interview and want to comment in a negative way my understanding is they should reserve those comments to be on the main board and not be critical of Ti-Cats related stuff or fans speaking in support of Glanville in the Cats fan boards. Or am I not understanding this 'safe havens' rule?
Riders Fan for example - feelings of being judged? - just came to mind for this Roughrider Fan :(

beaglehound

"If indeed that was the intent - i.e. advertising and that was the reason for deleting it - I've got absolutely no problem with that. But that was not the reason given originally - which is why I commented. "

The "original" reason given was posted on the CFL Talk forum TravelPat and that had to do with cross posting.  In your opinion you are okay with cross posting.  I have already given you reasons why it should be discouraged.  I cannot help it if you are not in agreement.  

While there was a suspicion that the post might have more to do with advertising [as PTBO explained]  it would have been inappropriate to state that publicly and not give the newbie [he just signed up that day] the benefit of the doubt.

Re: "safe haven" principle...  

"Because if a Riders fan for example - were to listen to the Glanville interview and want to comment in a negative way my understanding is they should reserve those comments to be on the main board and not be critical of Ti-Cats related stuff or fans speaking in support of Glanville in the Cats fan boards. Or am I not understanding this 'safe havens' rule?"

That is a valid point but you are taking it to the extreme.  The safe haven principle doesn't mean there cannot be disagreement between fellow CFLers who happen to support different teams.  It simply means that if a Lions fan wanders into the Ticats forum and starts "trashing" the members, the team, individual players or the organization then he's asking for trouble.  However, this does not mean he can go onto the CFL Talk forum and do it there either without repercussions.

Users Online

90 Guests, 8 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aerial, Slomojo2005, KevinRiley2, Augustus67, Caretaker, Oskie18, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)