RichardVeilleux

As I said on a few occasions, I am totally against moving/beginning the CFL season 3 weeks earlier. I am against/not in agreement with:

-Starting the training camps in early May.

-Starting the regular season the last week of May.

-Having almost 80% of the regular season games played in the months of May,June,July and August.

-Ending the regular season the first week of October or Thanksgiving  week-end.

As I also wrote before, if ever there is a tenth team, we could eliminate 2 of the 3 weeks off,during the season, and the season could start around June 15 at the earliest  and end  the second week of November at the latest with the Grey Cup game.

Richard

Hank01

TBS 

Another network worth exploring is TBS . Turner Network is available in many homes and they could play one game a week . They have sports programming already and the CFL at least one game a week would fit well and then just sim sub the game with TSN with Canadian viewers .

Worth a shot at selling a time slot . Use American CFL players that are recognizable down south as the control panel that is separate from TSN during breaks they would normally use and it might play well . A trivia game and a Safeway type promoter of a US chain down south to get viewers may have a good reaction to get a few more viewers .

I know many dislike it because of CNN connection and ted Turner but this is just sports on pretty quiet politically wise station .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

KevinRiley2

As I said on a few occasions, I am totally against moving/beginning the CFL season 3 weeks earlier. I am against/not in agreement with:

-Starting the training camps in early May.

-Starting the regular season the last week of May.

-Having almost 80% of the regular season games played in the months of May,June,July and August.

-Ending the regular season the first week of October or Thanksgiving  week-end.

As I also wrote before, if ever there is a tenth team, we could eliminate 2 of the 3 weeks off,during the season, and the season could start around June 15 at the earliest  and end  the second week of November at the latest with the Grey Cup game.

Richard
Is there a dollar value that would change your mind, Richard?  If so...

How much would a U.S. Network have to offer before you would think different?

To me, I like the season where it is.  However, if it meant :

1) A 10th team,
2) ALL teams make a profit,
3) The League NEVER again had a financial worry (and a couple million U.S.$, per team, would go a long way in that respect),

it would be worth 3 weeks.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Hank01

TBS

That crossed my mind as well.
 Have a few players on Conan ( still has a following ) and I am sure they can free up one day a week from the Atlanta Braves games and basketball . 

KevinRiley2

TBS

Have a few players on Conan ( still has a following ) and I am sure they can free up one day a week from the Atlanta Braves games and basketball .
I would prefer ESPN or the NFL Network but, as Grover said, the more bidders the better.

RichardVeilleux

No dollar value will make me change my mind, KevinRiley11.

Richard

Hank01

TBS

I would prefer ESPN or the NFL Network but, as Grover said, the more bidders the better.
   The reason the CFL sells itself short is it doesn't look to sell it's product . They need to be aggressive and not sit on their heels waiting for a buyer . I repeat the same line but divide your product up . Don't sell entire rights over unless the amount is big enough and the residual benefits like spin off content to justify the monopoly . Hard to get a bidding war or true value when you act like poppers on the street begging for coins .

With so many stations down south you have content for them to fill that is ready made with American players . It's a reality sports show with appointment viewing . It is so valued in todays world of I can watch that whenever I want to ; we have today . 

If you need to sell down south look for a sponsor that wants a unique role in selling themselves  and in turn the CFL . A Canadian liquor company , beer , bank ,tourism , Timmies , airline etc ... would be your way of getting in the market with a ready made advertiser and a much easier sell on getting on US airways .

Aerial

Who says the CFL "needs" to sell down south?  If it does then get rid of the ratio rule and all of this and just get the players available you want regardless of citizenship and all of that.  

Sell to Canada, keep it domestic, and increase the importance of Canadians in the league.  I say if there are enough Canadians of high enough pro quality for the league.  The league will never be able to match dollars for contracts with the NFL anyways so why not be the best domestic league you can be, draw on your strength.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

KevinRiley2

No dollar value will make me change my mind, KevinRiley11.

Richard
At least you're honest.

KevinRiley2

TBS

The reason the CFL sells itself short is it doesn't look to sell it's product . They need to be aggressive and not sit on their heels waiting for a buyer . I repeat the same line but divide your product up . Don't sell entire rights over unless the amount is big enough and the residual benefits like spin off content to justify the monopoly . Hard to get a bidding war or true value when you act like poppers on the street begging for coins .

With so many stations down south you have content for them to fill that is ready made with American players . It's a reality sports show with appointment viewing . It is so valued in todays world of I can watch that whenever I want to ; we have today .

If you need to sell down south look for a sponsor that wants a unique role in selling themselves  and in turn the CFL . A Canadian liquor company , beer , bank ,tourism , Timmies , airline etc ... would be your way of getting in the market with a ready made advertiser and a much easier sell on getting on US airways .
Well said and smart/true.

Aerial

"Doesn't look to sell it's product"?  Really, there is no company in the world I'm aware of that doesn't try to sell it's product unless it's a stupid and dumb company with imbeciles running it and those go out of existence within a day or two of it's existence if they even last that long.

KevinRiley2

Who says the CFL "needs" to sell down south?  If it does then get rid of the ratio rule and all of this and just get the players available you want regardless of citizenship and all of that.  

Sell to Canada, keep it domestic, and increase the importance of Canadians in the league.  I say if there are enough Canadians of high enough pro quality for the league.  The league will never be able to match dollars for contracts with the NFL anyways so why not be the best domestic league you can be, draw on your strength.
That's true but imagine what it would do for the CFL is ALL teams made money...

All of a sudden, buying a franchise is no longer charity. All of a sudden, people actually want in.  A few million dollars U.S., per team, would be huge!

That money is available south of the border.   I feel the League needs to go where the money leads them.

Aerial

Buddy, patience, a new commish, things take time in business and with new leaders and all of that.  There are existing contractual issues to deal with and deals to be made in the future depending.

My guess, and I'm just guessing the CFL does actually want to "sell it's product".  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

KevinRiley2

"Doesn't look to sell it's product"?  Really, there is no company in the world I'm aware of that doesn't try to sell it's product unless it's a stupid and dumb company with imbeciles running it and those go out of existence within a day or two of it's existence if they even last that long.
The CFL has relied on TSN to push the product in the U.S. - thru EPSN.

I'm sure the recent deals were good for ESPN and TSN, but I'm not sure there was much (any) meat left on the bone for the CFL.

Users Online

63 Guests, 0 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (10), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)