Mightygoose

An early November Grey Cup would be nice compromise. I can see TSN or any other prospective Canadian media firm not wanting too drastic of a shift.

Either way, if it brings in more TV and digital dollars at the end of the day, I'm all for it.

rpaege

Moving the CFL schedule up 5 weeks is all about money in the form of a US television deal with the
NFL Network.
The NFL season starts in September, The NFL Network would want as many games in the CFL to start before the start of the NFL season for maximum TV coverage for them.
If the CFL could conservatively double the television revenue to $80M-$90M or more both the league and the players with their excellent exposure would profit.
If the CFLPA gets their stuff together and gets profit sharing and a big chunk of the TV money returned in their wages it becomes a win/win for everybody.
There are many benefits to having more spring games than winter games played in Canada,
and it's not just about the weather.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/cfl-could-alter-schedule-to-accommodate-nfln-deal/
8 - The NFL Network is part of the basic cable package here in Mexico and as such, I've enjoyed wall-to-wall coverage of Super Bowl LII from Minnesota. Do you realize how massively it would grow the CFL's global brand if Commissioner Ambrosie is able to finalize a deal for the NFL Network to carry all CFL games???? The prospect is head-spinning and, reportedly, talks are well underway

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/01/10-things-i-think-i-think-for-sober_30.html

The ESPN 5 year contract expires after this season
ALL CFL games have been streamed on ESPN3 for a number of years,  that  is a bigger reach than carrying games on the NFL network which is only available on cable/sattelite.
The NFL network may be on the basic sports package but unless they stream them they won't have the same reach as the ESPN3.
We live in an era of streaming and the milleniels watching on their phones/tablets.   Millions in the US cutting the cord every year.

I agree with this. The CFL on ESPN has been fantastic, and available to everybody with some kind of provider package, either through their internet provider, or through something like SlingTV. I have the option to use both, but only with Sling can I also get ESPN2 and ESPN News, which both carry a game or two every season.
I can also get the NFL Network on SlingTV, for an extra $25 a month. I'm not willing to pay that.

Connecticut Yankee

He was joking . The Ottawa Sun published his Q and A today with the reporter .

Beyond that I don't think it's the population ;it's more the buying power and influence .
We would be worth much more than 2% of India .

Saying that ,

I wouldn't want them using facebook it's not a platform I like but a You Tube would be an excellent platform . Facebook requires a registration while You Tube you can access without an account . If they were going to use it for a subscriber base then go to Netflix as they need Canadian content and they have money to throw around .  It would also be used in the United States version so they have exposure south .

A partnership with TSN and some programming surrounding it would be a boost for the CFL .
Hank01,

The media rights, in question, are for the U.S market only.The Canadian rights are up for
renewal in 2021.I cringed after reading that interview with Commissioner Ambrosie. It appears
that the CFL is not going to learn from the mistakes of the past.Why is this league so self defeating?

Mark

I WILL definitely stop being a season subscriber if the games are moved earlier in the season.  Too much happening in the good weather. Responsibilities to others.  I often miss the early games and give away the tickets.  Oh well.... been fun, Mr. Ambrosie.  I know that it's 'just business'. Can't say I like it though.

Mightygoose

He was joking . The Ottawa Sun published his Q and A today with the reporter .

Beyond that I don't think it's the population ;it's more the buying power and influence .
We would be worth much more than 2% of India .

Saying that ,

I wouldn't want them using facebook it's not a platform I like but a You Tube would be an excellent platform . Facebook requires a registration while You Tube you can access without an account . If they were going to use it for a subscriber base then go to Netflix as they need Canadian content and they have money to throw around .  It would also be used in the United States version so they have exposure south .

A partnership with TSN and some programming surrounding it would be a boost for the CFL .
Hank01,

The media rights, in question, are for the U.S market only.The Canadian rights are up for
renewal in 2021.I cringed after reading that interview with Commissioner Ambrosie. It appears
that the CFL is not going to learn from the mistakes of the past.Why is this league so self defeating?
What mistake has the league made in relation to the schedule? This is the first time they're contemplating moving it ahead and it sounds like they're dailing back a bit.

KevinRiley2

I worry the CFL will undersell itself (like they always do) to get on the NFL Network.

I don`t want to hear, `The CFL has given the rights to the NFL for FREE, or next to nothing, based on a future potential upside`.  If the money is not there, say `NO`, because the money NEVER seems to be there!!!!

If the NFL can get $100 Trillion for their crummy Thursday night games, they can certainly compensate the CFL to the tune of $25M+ for all our content.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

StampsRock!

Yes, they CAN, but will they WANT to? ;)  If they can get if for free, why wouldn't they take it?
I don't see the logic for the CFL to pursue the NFL Network.  People watch the NFL network to see NFL games and stories about the NFL, not CFL.
I agree with other posters here, they should try to renew their contract with ESPN (don't they own a stake in TSN or is that not true anymore?).
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!

KevinRiley2

Yes, they CAN, but will they WANT to? ;)  If they can get if for free, why wouldn't they take it?
I don't see the logic for the CFL to pursue the NFL Network.  People watch the NFL network to see NFL games and stories about the NFL, not CFL.
I agree with other posters here, they should try to renew their contract with ESPN (don't they own a stake in TSN or is that not true anymore?).
Re : "I don't see the logic for the CFL to pursue the NFL Network."

The impression I got was the NFL Network was pursuing the CFL, IF the CFL was willing to move the season.  

Again, I would only do it if the money is there - and I mean good money.  After all, if the NFL can pay their commissioner $50M/yr, they can cut a similar cheque to the CFL for 90 football games.

Otherwise, I agree, stay with ESPN.

J5V

I WILL definitely stop being a season subscriber if the games are moved earlier in the season.  Too much happening in the good weather. Responsibilities to others.  I often miss the early games and give away the tickets.  Oh well.... been fun, Mr. Ambrosie.  I know that it's 'just business'. Can't say I like it though.
Most people I talk to are excited about a season shift.  In my opinion overall attendance will increase with an earlier start.  If you lose one fan and gain one or two new ones everything will work out.

Aerial

Most people I talk to are excited about a season shift.

Count me one as someone in favour without question.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Argo Tailgater

Some say tradition is the biggest barrier to progress. Others say tradition is what it is all about. I can only talk about my situation, so here goes. As a family of 4 that lives out of market for the Argos we get to 5-7 games a year. Mostly missing the early season games. During the warm weather we all go and usually bring a few extra people with us. As the weather gets colder a few drop out and a few more join up. Usually we are a 10% smaller group in November. My wife and youngest decided to sit out the last two Grey Cups, sighting the cold weather and ticket costs. So take that for what it is worth. We are Canadian football family. We attend games our children play in, a few Queen’s University games, at least 5 Argos games, a game or two in Ottawa, and usually one or two Syracuse Orangemen games each year. I’m not a die hard US college or NFL fan but I watch a lot of American football during the late fall and winter.  Why?  I’m trapped indoors with extra free time. 

I love summer, we have all kinds of extra activities and options for fun. If the CFL starts playing too soon. I’ll likely miss more games and certainly more TV than I do now.  Tailgating at Argos games is a blast, my family and friends love it.  But baking in the summer heat in a parking lot is no fun, out on water the place to be. After Labour Day we don’t miss a game. So Mister Commissioner please listen to all the voices carefully and have your accountants run the numbers as you might gain a few casual fans, but you do run the risk of alienating this hard core family. 

Grover

Exactly why are people worried about a TV bid from the NFL Network to compete with an ESPN offer.
Having 2 US TV Sports Networks bidding against each other for the CFL rights is infinitely better than having 1 take it or leave it bid from only 1 provider.

Negotiations 101

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

brianjoxx

I worry the CFL will undersell itself (like they always do) to get on the NFL Network.

I don`t want to hear, `The CFL has given the rights to the NFL for FREE, or next to nothing, based on a future potential upside`.  If the money is not there, say `NO`, because the money NEVER seems to be there!!!!

If the NFL can get $100 Trillion for their crummy Thursday night games, they can certainly compensate the CFL to the tune of $25M+ for all our content.  
Or more Kevin. Some many channels looking for production Sports for there viewers.

KevinRiley2

Or more Kevin. Some many channels looking for production Sports for there viewers.
From your post to God's ear. 

The CFL is easy content - it's already there for the taking.

Just make sure they get paid (good money) for the content.  As I said before, a bird in hand and all that.  I want money NOW and not some phantom promise about the future.

KevinRiley2

Exactly why are people worried about a TV bid from the NFL Network to compete with an ESPN offer.
Having 2 US TV Sports Networks bidding against each other for the CFL rights is infinitely better than having 1 take it or leave it bid from only 1 provider.

Negotiations 101
Amen, brother.

Money for content gets thrown around in the U.S.  In Canada, it seems like networks would rather shut down than offer a fair price.

If the CFL was offered anything less than $25M U.S. for their U.S. content, I would be very disappointed.

Users Online

77 Guests, 6 Users (8 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, oo DAWG oo, 6ft6ofgoodness, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)