RichardVeilleux

The TSN contract with the CFL runs through the 2021 season; any major increase in amounts paid to the CFL won't come until 2022.  

We will have plenty of time to discuss/write about different scenarios at the end of the 2018 season, but I definitely don't expect that TSN will basically double what they are paying now; players salaries will definitely not be in the $100,000 minimums; $60,000 minimum is more probable for the next agreement with the League.

Again, as I wrote earlier, there will be plenty of time to discuss this matter and others after the 2018 season. This are my only comments for now.

Richard

Argofan_1000

Would love to see active NFL all star squad play an active CFL all star squad.
Americans vs Canadians would be a total beat down by them so I’d like to avoid that scenario.

Canada simply doesn’t produce enough football talent to make US vs Canada fair.
only meant players in the CFL

Taleback

So I guess Brandon Bridge would be the starting Q.B. by default then. I haven't checked but is there a Canadian at every position of a team in the league?

Argofan_1000

So I guess Brandon Bridge would be the starting Q.B. by default then. I haven't checked but is there a Canadian at every position of a team in the league?
every position covered. Brandon QB. wouldn't that be fun?

Hank01

It might be they were out of the play offs for so long and sucked for years and they would be meaningless games later in the year .
Nope - they've even had great difficulty selling out playoff games in Buffalo in the 4 Super Bowl years because fans were reluctant to buy seats for what they knew would be freezing cold games.  A few of their playoff games only had the local blackout lifted because local sponsors stepped up to 'buy' the last several thousand tickets.

Two points old Rich Stadium held 80,000 even Los Angeles in beautiful weather has trouble at that size .

Number two I am sure if Buffalo could pre sell their seats like Regina they would and if they didn't they wouldn't run to the league and want to change the entire schedule to accommodate something they can control by preselling their inventory or putting a roof over their heads . They are masters of their own destiny if you use the Riders scenario of putting a cap on something then complaining later .

The point you keep missing is if they are capping the tickets then don't complain about walk ups later . Thats a ridiculous argument . If you can sell now who waits to sell later if you rely on good weather . You don't whine about it .

When looking at last year the only two games at the end didn't sell out and if you combine the two it's still only 4,900 less if you add them together . No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water . If it was sunny and 10 degrees they may have had the same results depending on opponent and the games meaning in terms of playoffs . No reason to kill November CFL .

Grover

Moving the CFL schedule up 5 weeks is all about money in the form of a US television deal with the
NFL Network.
The NFL season starts in September, The NFL Network would want as many games in the CFL to start before the start of the NFL season for maximum TV coverage for them.
If the CFL could conservatively double the television revenue to $80M-$90M or more both the league and the players with their excellent exposure would profit.
If the CFLPA gets their stuff together and gets profit sharing and a big chunk of the TV money returned in their wages it becomes a win/win for everybody.
There are many benefits to having more spring games than winter games played in Canada,
and it's not just about the weather.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/cfl-could-alter-schedule-to-accommodate-nfln-deal/
8 - The NFL Network is part of the basic cable package here in Mexico and as such, I've enjoyed wall-to-wall coverage of Super Bowl LII from Minnesota. Do you realize how massively it would grow the CFL's global brand if Commissioner Ambrosie is able to finalize a deal for the NFL Network to carry all CFL games???? The prospect is head-spinning and, reportedly, talks are well underway

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/01/10-things-i-think-i-think-for-sober_30.html

The ESPN 5 year contract expires after this season

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Connecticut Yankee

Moving the CFL schedule up 5 weeks is all about money in the form of a US television deal with the
NFL Network.
The NFL season starts in September, The NFL Network would want as many games in the CFL to start before the start of the NFL season for maximum TV coverage for them.
If the CFL could conservatively double the television revenue to $80M-$90M or more both the league and the players with their excellent exposure would profit.
If the CFLPA gets their stuff together and gets profit sharing and a big chunk of the TV money returned in their wages it becomes a win/win for everybody.
There are many benefits to having more spring games than winter games played in Canada,

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/24/cfl-could-alter-schedule-to-accommodate-nfln-deal/
8 - The NFL Network is part of the basic cable package here in Mexico and as such, I've enjoyed wall-to-wall coverage of Super Bowl LII from Minnesota. Do you realize how massively it would grow the CFL's global brand if Commissioner Ambrosie is able to finalize a deal for the NFL Network to carry all CFL games???? The prospect is head-spinning and, reportedly, talks are well underway

The prospect is not head-spinning and it will be the latest in a long line of bad moves.
The CFL learned nothing from 2014.

brianjoxx

NFL Network.

The prospect is not head-spinning and it will be the latest in a long line of bad moves.
The CFL learned nothing from 2014.
Well said. Thanks

Hank01

Great to hear from the q and a in the Ottawa Sun that Ambrosie is now just looking at moving the Grey Cup  in earlier November and not October . 

Second Sunday in November would be a good compromise  .

If they time their bye weeks nicely they could venture in starting the holiday 24 weekend in May and give the CFLPA a little more time off during the season .
With this they may actually get a traditional time for games as they will have even more time to play with different venues having busier schedule to deal with and give the fans more traditional match ups to look forward to during the season .

Camps would need to start May 1st .

Hank01

During the conversation with Ambrosie he remarked about Indian Cricket getting 601 million from facebook and he joked about 300 million for the CFL .

Would rather see a deal with You Tube or Netflix . Not sure about Amazon as I don't use that resource for media .

With Netflix saying it wants to invest 500 million in Canadian programming it seems like a good fit . Of course not the 500 but 10 million a year would be a good start .

Add some CFL shows with it and badda bing badda boom.

pw13

During the conversation with Ambrosie he remarked about Indian Cricket getting 601 million from facebook and he joked about 300 million for the CFL .

I didn't hear that remark, but if he made it he was definitely either joking or dreaming the impossible dream. India has a population of 1.4 billion, and Facebook's offer was $610M over five years, or $122M/year. On a population basis (discounting the idea that there are people outside India who would be interested in watching those matches), that works out to $112/year for every citizen of India. Canada's population is less than 2% if India's, so an equivalent CFL deal would be worth around $300,000, not $300 million.

Hank01

I didn't hear that remark, but if he made it he was definitely either joking or dreaming the impossible dream. India has a population of 1.4 billion, and Facebook's offer was $610M over five years, or $122M/year. On a population basis (discounting the idea that there are people outside India who would be interested in watching those matches), that works out to $112/year for every citizen of India. Canada's population is less than 2% if India's, so an equivalent CFL deal would be worth around $300,000, not $300 million.
  He was joking . The Ottawa Sun published his Q and A today with the reporter .

Beyond that I don't think it's the population ;it's more the buying power and influence .
We would be worth much more than 2% of India . 

Saying that ,

I wouldn't want them using facebook it's not a platform I like but a You Tube would be an excellent platform . Facebook requires a registration while You Tube you can access without an account . If they were going to use it for a subscriber base then go to Netflix as they need Canadian content and they have money to throw around .  It would also be used in the United States version so they have exposure south . 

A partnership with TSN and some programming surrounding it would be a boost for the CFL . 

TravelPat1

Moving it ahead just 2 or 3 weeks has always been my preference. I think that would be a great move.  

Users Online

75 Guests, 8 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
oo DAWG oo, KevinRiley2, Augustus67, pdson2, smogmonster, ruswamahmet, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)