REmmett

When moving up the CFL season consider what that will do to Labour Day. Labour Day marks the half way of the season and the start of the playoff push.

We need to make sure that after Labour Day teams still have at least 5-6 games remaining. Any less and teams might be out of the playoff race which makes Labour Day not as significant.

Iconic SR

When moving up the CFL season consider what that will do to Labour Day. Labour Day marks the half way of the season and the start of the playoff push.

We need to make sure that after Labour Day teams still have at least 5-6 games remaining. Any less and teams might be out of the playoff race which makes Labour Day not as significant.
It’s going to be interesting to see how it changes the vibe or buzz amongst the fans.
Labour Day has always been the ‘farewell to summer and let’s down to some serious football’ for a playoff run.

Now (as you said) it’s the midway point of the season and lots of mistakes and losses can still happen for a team that won’t yet take them out of the playoff picture.

Reading between those lines, what I’m hearing is that ‘summer is still going strong & we fans should party and drink more beer at the games, because none of this is gonna hit the fan - yet.’ 

For me, it will turn nail biting time into beer drinking time, because I drink less when more is at stake. 

prairiewolf77

Just a bad idea for too many reasons.

I am still curious where all this consensus the league states it has. All I hear is mixed reaction, mostly against it.

Iconic SR

Just a bad idea for too many reasons.

I am still curious where all this consensus the league states it has. All I hear is mixed reaction, mostly against it.
Are you a season ticket holder?

prairiewolf77

Not currently, but family had season tickets in Regina years ago, when winter seemed to be a heck of alot worse than now.

Also, I had season tickets in Calgary for the Stamps when I lived there. 

I have also gone to Grey Cups in Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton. Not exactly known for being the hotbeds of winter weather.

What I do know from past discussions on this form over the years and media coverage, is that people seem to have more excuses, and use them, to not go to games during the summer months, than in the fall. Not only that, but haven't the TV ratings generally been better Labour day on?

Vermonter

There are some aspects about moving the season that would be pretty cool, and other aspects that would kinda suck. 

sth1988

Show me statistical evidence that
1. attendance is better in warmer weather
2.TV numbers are better in warmer weather

If someone can show me these 2 things, then I will consider this idea

PTBO Dave

This is really the crux of it--what do the actual data show?

It seems to me that traditionally both viewership and attendance peak around Sept (Labour Day), and that Sept-Oct numbers are better than July-August numbers. However, attendance often drops off in late Oct and November, especially in prairie cities.

And the weakest numbers are usually in the earliest part of the season.

However, I haven't compiled the actual data to verify this; it's just what I seem to recall over the past 20+ seasons.

Iconic SR

Not currently, but family had season tickets in Regina years ago, when winter seemed to be a heck of alot worse than now.

I have also gone to Grey Cups in Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton. Not exactly known for being the hotbeds of winter weather.

What I do know from past discussions on this form over the years and media coverage, is that people seem to have more excuses, and use them, to not go to games during the summer months, than in the fall. Not only that, but haven't the TV ratings generally been better Labour day on?
What we have seen over the past number of years is that walk up attendance drops in the colder weather games. Despite being capped at 26,000 or 28,000 season ticket holders each year, the remaining walk up crowds at Rider games declines lots with colder temps = lower revenues for the teams. Craig Reynolds, Riders president has gone on record with this recently also. I'll post the link to that article when I find it:

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/riders-favour-schedule-change

All the CFL wants to do with the season moving forward - is to put more bums into seats. Nothing more to it than that.

brihind88

Regardless of when the season starts, Labour Day games stay.

Mid - season is secondary.

Also, the real fans will follow , show up,  watch, cheer and boo , regardless if the season starts a month early or stays the same. 

J5V

LOL.  No one needs to show YOU anything.  If the League (and it's teams) decide it's in their best interests to move the season, they will.  If they don't, they won't.

If you as a fan agree it works for you, then you'll go to the games.  If you don't, you'll stay home.  That is ALL you need to consider.

Hank01

What we have seen over the past number of years is that walk up attendance drops in the colder weather games. Despite being capped at 26,000 or 28,000 season ticket holders each year, the remaining walk up crowds at Rider games declines lots with colder temps = lower revenues for the teams. Craig Reynolds, Riders president has gone on record with this recently also. I'll post the link to that article when I find it:

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/riders-favour-schedule-change

All the CFL wants to do with the season moving forward - is to put more bums into seats. Nothing more to it than that.
  Walk ups on rainy days are worse no matter if it's July or October .

So if it's so important mandate spectator roofs . 

Live with the weather of football which by all accounts it's fall weather not blistering sun and 90 degrees with humidity .

I think the team that has the most season tickets is actually verifying the current season  works in terms of weather if it didn't then why cap the season tickets if walk ups are so important it defies logic . 

Why the riders would want a schedule change for better walk ups then caps season tickets so it gets more walk ups now is not rational thinking . Kinda like cutting your nose off despite your face . 

Why cap if you lose money ? For rainy days alone it's just dumb . They created stub hub and it works . Maybe the Riders need to get with the times  the secondary market has been around long enough to suit those needs for sell outs and you still want to go .

Iconic SR

Live with the weather of football which by all accounts it's fall weather not blistering sun and 90 degrees with humidity .

I think the team that has the most season tickets is actually verifying the current season  works in terms of weather if it didn't then why cap the season tickets if walk ups are so important it defies logic .

Why the riders would want a schedule change for better walk ups then caps season tickets so it gets more walk ups now is not rational thinking . Kinda like cutting your nose off despite your face .

Why cap if you lose money ? For rainy days alone it's just dumb . They created stub hub and it works . Maybe the Riders need to get with the times  the secondary market has been around long enough to suit those needs for sell outs and you still want to go .
Yes. That’s it. The Riders need to get with the times, lol. 
Smallest market, most successful team. Nicest stadium. Capped season tickets.

Hopefully they take your advice so they can throw everything in the crapper too.

Hank01

Yes. That’s it. The Riders need to get with the times, lol.
Smallest market, most successful team. Nicest stadium. Capped season tickets.

Hopefully they take your advice so they can throw everything in the crapper too.
   Yes your right they r not the smartest tool in the shed if they think that capping season tickets makes sense then complain about walk ups . That's idiotic .

TravelPat1

It is not idiotic at all.  Having a certain number of tickets available for walkups throughout a season is importand in creating new fans and keeping existing fans. The most popular teams in the world all cap their season ticket sales to be sure there is a decent number of individual tickets for single game buyers.

What the Riders correctly point out is that they have a harder time selling those single tickets for colder games and they think that problem can be overcome by moving the season up a few weeks.

Sounds like they know exactly what they are doing to me.  

Users Online

104 Guests, 13 Users (18 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aerial, Caretaker, Augustus67, Oskie18, FootbalYouBet, KennyPowers, Mikefrmthhammer, Grover, KevinRiley2, Bigshot, Google (AdSense) (12), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)