GHT120

Quote from: "KevinRiley"
Quote from: "GHT120"
Dave (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/

A very small " B " movie that I just cannot resist whenever I stumble across it.

Kevin Kline plays Dave Kovic, who runs a small town Temp service, and happens to be a look-alike for the sitting President Bill Mitchell.  When Mitchell makes a campaign stop nearby, Kovic was hired to "double" for Mitchell by waving and leaving a dinner down a staircase and and away from a crowd. Of course Mitchell is JFK-ish and has a massive stroke while "visiting a constituent".  On the way to deliver Kovic back to his home, the convoy gets turned around as Mitchell's top advisors (played by Frank Langella and Kevin Dunn) decide that Kovic should continue the masquerade while they see how Mitchell does.  Sigourney Weaver plays the First Lady, distanced from her husband, who eventually uncovers the deception but finds in Kovic the idealism that attracted her to her husband years before.

It is an unpretentious, light and fairly predictable film but it shines with the devotion and integrity that we all(regardless of political persuasion) hope pour politicians have.

Glad you liked it but I wasn't fussy on it.  You were right when you called it "light".  To me, it was almost too light.

Thanks for adding the review.   :thup:

I am a realist who is a political idealist.  The political theme strikes the right cord with me; government trying to do its best for the people, not themselves. Plus, Sigourney Weaver isn't hard to look at, a striking woman.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

KevinRiley

Quote from: "KevinRiley"
Dave (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/

A very small " B " movie that I just cannot resist whenever I stumble across it.

Kevin Kline plays Dave Kovic, who runs a small town Temp service, and happens to be a look-alike for the sitting President Bill Mitchell.  When Mitchell makes a campaign stop nearby, Kovic was hired to "double" for Mitchell by waving and leaving a dinner down a staircase and and away from a crowd. Of course Mitchell is JFK-ish and has a massive stroke while "visiting a constituent".  On the way to deliver Kovic back to his home, the convoy gets turned around as Mitchell's top advisors (played by Frank Langella and Kevin Dunn) decide that Kovic should continue the masquerade while they see how Mitchell does.  Sigourney Weaver plays the First Lady, distanced from her husband, who eventually uncovers the deception but finds in Kovic the idealism that attracted her to her husband years before.

It is an unpretentious, light and fairly predictable film but it shines with the devotion and integrity that we all(regardless of political persuasion) hope pour politicians have.

Glad you liked it but I wasn't fussy on it.  You were right when you called it "light".  To me, it was almost too light.

Thanks for adding the review.   :thup:

I am a realist who is a political idealist.  The political theme strikes the right cord with me; government trying to do its best for the people, not themselves. Plus, Sigourney Weaver isn't hard to look at, a striking woman.
Fair enough.  Feel free to add more reviews and maybe we can find one we agree on.  :)

KevinRiley

The Gift (2015) :

The Gift is a movie for everyone who was ever bullied in school and would like a little revenge.

Jason Bateman plays Simon.  A too good to be true husband who, as the film plays out, is too good to be true.  Rebecca Hall is his beautiful wife who has a ton of emotional baggage and an anxiety disorder that plays tricks with her pretty little mind.  Then there is Gordo (Joel Edgerton), the bullied kid from school who comes into Simon's life bearing gifts.

All 3 performances are terrific - especially Bateman who is surprisingly good.  The direction is tight and the dialogue is natural.

My reservation...

There are a few movies in your life that shock you with a twist where you do NOT feel manipulated or cheated - The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Conversation.  The Gift is NOT one of those movies.  That doesn't mean it isn't fun.  It just means it is what it is....

A movie that's going to suck you in, twist you around and spit you out saying, "Wow...  That was good as long as I don't think about it too much".

7/10

greenandwhite

I just finished the Prison Break series. They made a movie. Really good and they are making a new season in 2016!

KevinRiley

Love Me :

Love Me is a documentary about men (American and one Australian) who go to the Ukraine to meet Mail Order Brides. The men are lonely and looking for women who are beautiful but dependent. The women are old fashioned and willing to lower their standards for a better life. In between, there are some pretty ruthless businesspeople trying (and succeeding) to squeeze every penny out of the process.

The documentary is uncomfortable to watch and I found myself either pausing / looking away or fast forwarding as the men embarrass themselves and/or the women scam their admirers. Sadly, these men who fault American women for being concerned with their (less than stunning) appearance, only care about the appearance of the women they are trying to woo - most of whom are 20 years their junior.

Given the fact that almost half the couples (followed in this movie) found happiness, I'm not sure what to think of the process let alone this uncomfortable movie.

7/10

KevinRiley

We Are Your Friends

I know nothing about Electronic Dance Music (it sounds like (bad) noise to me) and I will not see, "We Are Your Friends", which has to be the worst movie title I have heard in my life. Sight unseen, I am giving this (assumed) piece of garbage a...

0/10

kasps

Black Mass will be your best movie of 2015 !!!

KevinRiley

Quote from: "kasps"
Black Mass will be your best movie of 2015 !!!
Not a big Johnny Depp fan.

FootbalYouBet

Don't even bother watching the new fantastic bour

I mean, for starters, how is sue storms brother johnny black??
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building

KevinRiley

Atari : Game Over

Documentary about the life of Atari. The documentary is (thankfully) short and spends too much time waxing rhapsodic about an overrated game system that got old within a couple weeks of purchase. A mindless waste of 1 hour.

4/10

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Downloaded

Strong documentary about the young men who created Napster. They were clever and somewhat idealistic. They also had no idea about the pain coming their way.

The music industry got their comeuppance, Sean Parker got very rich (albeit indirectly), Shawn Fanning got far less rich, and the rest of the world moved on.

A lot of fun and a very interesting 1.5 hours.

7/10

GHT120

Quote from: "FootbalYouBet"

(1) Adoption
(2) Bi-racial parents
(3) Because it is movie and they liked the actor

If that was the biggest problem with the movie they would be happy and making a lot more money; but from what I read it is WAY down the list.

FootbalYouBet

Quote from: "FootbalYouBet"

(1) Adoption
(2) Bi-racial parents
(3) Because it is movie and they liked the actor

If that was the biggest problem with the movie they would be happy and making a lot more money; but from what I read it is WAY down the list.

I am a stickler for sticking to the way the comics were originally written andor the way they were in the 60s and 70s.

I also don't like how they keep redoing the same movies with different actors.  I wish the comic companies would not allow it.  There should be only one spiderman, one hulk, one batman (Christian bale), one fantastic four group, one xmen, one wolverine, etc.

KevinRiley

Straight Outta Compton:

When a movie is this strong/entertaining, it is easier to list what's wrong with the movie. The faults I found with Straight Outta Compton...

1) The actor who played Suge Knight should have been more charismatic and menacing.

2) For someone dying with AIDS, Eazy-E looked remarkably healthy.

3) I constantly felt jealous never having been invited to an NWA pool party.

This, of course, is nitpicking. The movie was fun, informative and 2.5 hours zoomed by. The soundtrack is amazing. I especially enjoyed Paul Giamatti's performance as a man torn between ripping off his young protégé and being his father.

8.5/10

KevinRiley

Watched the trailer for the movie Concussion.  I love the line (paraphrasing), "You're going up against a Corporation that owns a day of the week".

KevinRiley

Print The Legend (2014 Documentary) :

I watched Print The Legend in the hope of seeing where 3D printing is going. Instead, it was all about the different competitors in the field and how deeply they are willing to hurt each other, and themselves, to be the Top (3D) Dog.

It was interesting.

6.5/10

Users Online

92 Guests, 16 Users (13 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, cahoonrules86, Taleback, raymarkca, dcmoses, Stampeder67, Iconic SR, Onemoredork, Iconic SR, bobo82, ed ohmnes, -Hammer-, toddstattoo, Chris_87, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)