KevinRiley2

Was this discussed on Prime Time Sports?

Did Bob McClown bleep himself?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/prime-time-sports-december-13-5pm-4/

not mcclown but they discussed it here somewhat
Thank you.  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Xvys

MLSE buying the Argos gives the entire league a vote of confidence. It should boost both franchise and CFL TV rights value. Remember how MLSE partners Rogers and Bell fought it out tooth-and-nail for NHL's rights, boosting their value substantialy? The same dynamic could happen for the CFL rights next time, with Rogers already hinting they want in on CFL broadcasts.

With Rogers essentially buying 37.5% of the Argos, Larry Tannenbaum will relinquish half of his Argo shares (from 50% to his 25% share of MLSE) and Bell down from 50% to 37.5%.

It's no secret that MLSE's practice is to pad attendance by giving away promotional tickets (Raptors & TFC) so we should expect a substantial boost in Argo crowds next year. I'll bet they average over 20,000 and could even have sellouts, like many pundits had predicted when Argos relocation to BMO was confirmed.

With the prospect of a fast-tracked expansion franchise in Halifax, and 5 CFL games per week, these are certainly heady and exciting days for all fans of Canadian football!

KevinRiley2

MLSE buying the Argos gives the entire league a vote of confidence. It should boost both franchise and CFL TV rights value. Remember how MLSE partners Rogers and Bell fought it out tooth-and-nail for NHL's rights, boosting their value substantialy? The same dynamic could happen for the CFL rights next time, with Rogers already hinting they want in on CFL broadcasts.

With Rogers essentially buying 37.5% of the Argos, Larry Tannenbaum will relinquish half of his Argo shares (from 50% to his 25% share of MLSE) and Bell down from 50% to 37.5%.

It's no secret that MLSE's practice is to pad attendance by giving away promotional tickets (Raptors & TFC) so we should expect a substantial boost in Argo crowds next year. I'll bet they average over 20,000 and could even have sellouts, like many pundits had predicted when Argos relocation to BMO was confirmed.

With the prospect of a fast-tracked expansion franchise in Halifax, and 5 CFL games per week, these are certainly heady and exciting days for all fans of Canadian football!
Well said.  Assuming my conspiracy theories are bunk, this is a wonderful day for the CFL.

Any interest in the CFL TV rights by Rogers can only push up their value.  I have always said I thought they would come in in the $80-$100M/yr range.  This certainly has not hurt those beliefs.

Now, we just need to keep Shaw interested, and woo the CBC.

KevinRiley2

As was said on PTS today, 3 years ago the CFL rights were more desirable/profitable than the rights to the Jays.  That is currently not the case but things can change.

Brian Cooper said he believes the Argos lost between $2M-$4M last year and we see a big uptick in revenue in the next 24 months.

letsgoticats

As was said on PTS today, 3 years ago the CFL rights were more desirable/profitable than the rights to the Jays.  That is currently not the case but things can change.

Bradley Cooper said he believes the Argos lost between $2M-$4M last year and we see a big uptick in revenue in the next 24 months.
And we're really just going to believe what Bradley Cooper says?   ;D

KevinRiley2

Bradley Cooper said he believes the Argos lost between $2M-$4M last year and we see a big uptick in revenue in the next 24 months.
And we're really just going to believe what Bradley Cooper says?   ;D

Brian Cooper.  Sorry.  Been watching too many movies lately.  :)

argos0906

I do wonder if the TFC fanbase is going to freak out now and demand the Argos move the Lamport now?
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?41199-MLSE-To-Buy-The-Argos&p=1857222&viewfull=1#post1857222
Literally don't care what they think anymore...they have a championship team yet can't stop whining about the Argos

Xvys

Well said.  Assuming my conspiracy theories are bunk, this is a wonderful day for the CFL.

Any interest in the CFL TV rights by Rogers can only push up their value.  I have always said I thought they would come in in the $80-$100M/yr range.  This certainly has not hurt those beliefs.

Now, we just need to keep Shaw interested, and woo the CBC.
The CFL should think long and hard before eliminating TSN's exclusivity but it's tantalizing to envision a HNIC-like hookup of CBC/Sportsnet on Saturday nights, which might draw 1 Million viewers or more in NHL's off-season. TSN probably wouldn't want to lose that prime time-slot (Sat. 7 p.m.) and perhaps could team up with CTV to deliver similar numbers?

Then a Sunday night game, if only before NFL starts up, and Thursday too. These are all desirable time-slots along with venerable Friday Night Football which might have lost some of its luster. With potentially 5 games a week, after Labour Day there would likely be double-headers on Friday and Sat...or Sunday?

Yep KR2, if the Grey Cup and playoffs were marketed separately from the reg. season, I believe the $80-$100M range is feasible for CFL TV rights.

TravelPat1

Now with Rogers on board, having just won the Grey Cup, having an excellent facility, the Argos fans are out of excuses. 

If they - and apparently there are tens of thousands of in the GTA who watch on TV - don't start supporting the team in person in much better numbers within the next year or two  - then I'm out of ideas

Xvys

Now with Rogers on board, having just won the Grey Cup, having an excellent facility, the Argos fans are out of excuses.

If they - and apparently there are tens of thousands of in the GTA who watch on TV - don't start supporting the team in person in much better numbers within the next year or two  - then I'm out of ideas
Why so down, Pat? MLSE buying the Argos should be great news for all fans (even Ticat and soccer fans!) The Argos will likely be fully managed by MLSE's professionals, who know appearance = reality and will ensure there's a lively (that's a given with Argo fans) and copious crowd at BMO for Argo games...just like TFC. There are certainly more CFL than MLS fans in Toronto, like the 3.6 million in the extended GTA who watched at least part of the 2012 Grey Cup (not just tens of thousands) with S. Ontario viewership of 2017's Grey Cup up an impressive 58% this November.

KevinRiley2

Yep KR2, if the Grey Cup and playoffs were marketed separately from the reg. season, I believe the $80-$100M range is feasible for CFL TV rights.
Anything in that range all but guarantees the CFL teams break even - and we can stop worrying about the League`s survival.

As for Rogers buying in...

They probably felt it was worth a couple million dollars (price to buy in) to lose the "CFL Hater" moniker.  

Add in a possible NFLN deal and this could be a banner off season for the CFL.

KevinRiley2

I do wonder if the TFC fanbase is going to freak out now and demand the Argos move the Lamport now?
http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?41199-MLSE-To-Buy-The-Argos&p=1857222&viewfull=1#post1857222
Literally don't care what they think anymore...they have a championship team yet can't stop whining about the Argos
A bunch of children.  

Mightygoose

If they - and apparently there are tens of thousands of in the GTA who watch on TV - don't start supporting the team in person in much better numbers within the next year or two  - then I'm out of ideas

Well the ones on this site are the ones who do support the team and are not contingent on Rogers buying in.

Brian Cooper said it's a minimum 24 months for this to turn around and MLSE's expaded resources can only help. But it will take time to build this brand. Much like the time it took to grow all of the other brands they own not called the Leafs.

Also it's not the first time Rogers has bought in on low with a Toronto based team here either and it still took a decade to pay off.

Connecticut Yankee

Anything in that range all but guarantees the CFL teams break even - and we can stop worrying about the League`s survival.

They probably felt it was worth a couple million dollars (price to buy in) to lose the "CFL Hater" moniker.  

Kevin,
Rogers is protecting themselves in a changing Media environment.
Your probably going to see a sub-licensing deal between Bell and Rogers  involving 
a dedicated game of the week on Sundays(nights-summer, days-fall) for about 7-8 million
for next season or definitely 2019 to 2021.Remember Bell did the same thing for the CBC
back from 2002-2007.Your thinking too small with the NFLN. The league needs to be patient
and wait for what happens with Disney.Disney is about to buy out FOX by the end of the week
and the whole media game globally is going to change.
It would be wiser to seek an arrangement with Amazon to use their Amazon Prime platform
(You would make alot more money than the NFL is going to offer).This is what the English 
Premier League is expected to do in the coming year.
see link below
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/08/football-premier-league-tv-rights-auction
Remember Disney and Amazon are better options than NFLN.

KevinRiley2

Kevin,
Rogers is protecting themselves in a changing Media environment.
Your probably going to see a sub-licensing deal between Bell and Rogers  involving
a dedicated game of the week on Sundays(nights-summer, days-fall) for about 7-8 million
for next season or definitely 2019 to 2021.Remember Bell did the same thing for the CBC
back from 2002-2007.Your thinking too small with the NFLN. The league needs to be patient
and wait for what happens with Disney.Disney is about to buy out FOX by the end of the week
and the whole media game globally is going to change.
It would be wiser to seek an arrangement with Amazon to use their Amazon Prime platform
(You would make alot more money than the NFL is going to offer).This is what the English
Premier League is expected to do in the coming year.
see link below
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/08/football-premier-league-tv-rights-auction
Remember Disney and Amazon are better options than NFLN.
Thanks!  I did not know about these options.

Any revenue stream that can help the CFL's bottom line, is fine with me.

Just say Yes to whatever network writes the biggest US$ cheque/ check.

Users Online

73 Guests, 8 Users (4 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
SeaFiddle, rshmglsky, Mightygoose, TravelPat1, joe, cheater, 72er, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 130. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)