Aerial

But you have to put it into perspective as a business model, Rogers wanted to grab the Bills and had no business interest in the Argos.  The Bills thing didn't happen and Rogers Centre went baseball only and the Bills are now out of the picture.  

We shouldn't get too emotional about Rogers having a hate-on for the Argos and CFL sort of thing, it was just business with the league involved with BCE.  I know, I know, I was emotional about it at one time and didn't like Rogers as well but in hindsight I let my emotions get the best of me and didn't realize business is business.

And don't worry about TFC, it's just a certain group of fans that will forever want the stadium to themselves, I get that, but this has no effect.  TFC gets great fan support whether the Argos are playing there or not as we have seen.  It's just not important or relevant what this special interest splinter group of TFC fans is shouting.  If they don't support TFC there are cities waiting for MLS teams as we see with the Columbus to Austin potential move and cities waiting for an expansion franchise.  But TFC fans are great and loyal and the fanbase will become larger regardless if the Argos continue to play at BMO.  MLSE knows this.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Eskimosrock

But you have to put it into perspective as a business model, Rogers wanted to grab the Bills and had no business interest in the Argos.  The Bills thing didn't happen and Rogers Centre went baseball only and the Bills are now out of the picture.  

We shouldn't get too emotional about Rogers having a hate-on for the Argos and CFL sort of thing, it was just business with the league involved with BCE.  I know, I know, I was emotional about it at one time and didn't like Rogers as well but in hindsight I let my emotions get the best of me and didn't realize business is business.
For sure, I'm not really upset about it anymore.  Bell and Tannenbaum did wonders already despite Rogers, albeit lots of work to do getting at least 7-9 thousand more butts in the seats.  But Rogers made their bed, besides, their cell coverage sucks compared to Bell haha.  Business may be business, but its my business to not support them now.
The Green and Gold is bold.

Aerial

Business may be business, but its my business to not support them now.
Absolutely, we live in a generally free open market capitalist society, oh and democratic as well ;) of course,  and we can choose how and where to spend our dollars.  No question.

I'm also wondering if this will have any effect, positive, on the up and coming Canadian Premier League of soccer being spearheaded by Bob Young of the Cats I believe?  Don't know.  Maybe alphamale might know something.

http://canpl.ca

Argofan_1000

Business may be business, but its my business to not support them now.
Absolutely, we live in a generally free open market capitalist society, oh and democratic as well ;) of course,  and we can choose how and where to spend our dollars.  No question.

I'm also wondering if this will have any effect, positive, on the up and coming Canadian Premier League of soccer being spearheaded by Bob Young of the Cats I believe?  Don't know.  Maybe alphamale might know something.

http://canpl.ca
Aerial - Most of us don't care about soccer. the half dozen that keep selling it on this forum  keep coming back on the main pages with the same agenda.  

Want to talk soccer, everyone welcome on the back pages as there is a thread there

drummer_god

http://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/mlse-announces-deal-to-buy-argonauts/wcm/08126ae6-7370-4c56-81b8-de20f57d21f2
On the surface, it appears to be a marriage made in sporting heaven, the local football team in lock step with the local futbol team all under the same roof.
And now, the Argonauts and Toronto FC, reigning Grey Cup and MLS Cup champions, respectively, will be under the same ownership umbrella.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which kicked the tires when previous owner David Braley had the for sale sign up on the Argos earlier this decade, is now all in, having agreed to buy the CFL franchise.
After announcing the pending agreement on Wednesday, possibilities are now endless for a team coming off an improbable title, not the least of which is selling the game via the many platforms owned by Rogers.
“Under its current ownership, a transformed Argonauts football club enhanced its presence and fan base in Canada’s largest sports market and ultimately marched to the CFL Championship,” Michael Friisdahl, MLSE president/CEO, said.

“We look forward to building on the Argos’ strong momentum as we welcome the team to the leading provider of sports and entertainment experiences in Canada.”
When Tim Leiweke served as MLSE president, the idea was to buy the Argos, move them into BMO and ensure the football team’s viability in a very crowded landscape.
The end-game, at the time anyway, was the NFL and the potential of bringing four-down football to coexist with the three-down version.

When Rogers balked, the Argos were sold to Bell and Larry Tanenbaum as the team quickly moved into BMO for the 2016 season, the same year the venue played host to the Grey Cup.
Rogers has no ties to the CFL, unlike Bell, which controls the entire TV pie through TSN.
It has always seemed to this observer that the unofficial policy at Rogers, and all of is media outlets and personalities, is to disparage the CFL at all costs, disregard all things Argos related unless it hurts the team’s brand.
That all changes now with Rogers now on board, a powerful media company that is sure to elevate the Argos’ profile, perhaps even convince soccer fans, which may not be so easy, that the Argos and TFC can exist side by side.
TFC will remain the main tenants at BMO, but something needs to get worked out that allows the Argos more access.
As of now, the only time the Argos have access to the facility is on game day.
What must happen is to provide the Argos with a more fan-friendly home schedule that is consistent, something the CFL can do to help grow the fan base.
Whether it’s ticketing, marketing, corporate sales, suite sales, MLSE has the wherewithal and clout to make the Argos vibrant and viable, or at least give three-down football its best chance of making some kind of dent in Toronto.
This should have happened two years ago, but it’s taken this long to get the official backing of MLSE and not simply two-thirds of its ownership.
It’s good news for the Argos, the CFL and for fans who enjoy football

KevinRiley2

I wish Rogers had bought the Als and Shaw would buy the Lions.

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

From a Rogers business Point Of View, this makes little sense.

From a CFL business Point Of View, unless Rogers and BCE collude to keep the CFL package price down (and that is a real possibility), this can only help the 2021 TV Package renegotiation.  

KevinRiley2

So...

BCE, Rogers and Shaw ALL want a piece of the CFL.

Either the CFL package is undervalued and inexpensive to televise or...

I can't think of an "or".

Why is Rogers all of a sudden in love with the CFL - a league they've hated for decades?

KevinRiley2

Here's a (negative) thought on this happy day...

Does Rogers sell the Jays and then conspire/share the TV rights for BOTH the Jays and the CFL with BCE, thereby keeping the value low on both?

Do I see a anti-trust case brewing?

brianjoxx

So Bell has sold the Argos to MLSE, anyone know why?  What do you mean 2 of the 3 partners?
Argos were owned by Bell and Larry Tananbaum earlier. MLSE is those 2 plus Rogers.

Huge news for the Argos and the entire CFL. Hopefully Rogers will get some content soon and having the 2 biggest telecommunication companies on board with the league is great news.
For Sure big news for CFL and Toronto Fans. Welcome back to the Big league. CFL Value Jumps!!

ArgoT

I am not sure what to make of this, maybe no one knows right now other than the involved conglomerate? Conspiracy, who knows?
Currently other than the Argo games possibly being shown at Maple Leaf Square, the jury is out on this move. 

KevinRiley2

I let this sink in and I (sadly) came up with a 2nd negative spins :

1) (As I said above) Rogers sell the Jays.  They then colludes with BCE/TSN to share Jays and CFL TV rights, keeping the cost down on both.

2) An NFL team for Toronto is in play and part of the negotiation is that all of MLSE own/support the Argos.

A positives spin :

* Rogers will be more likely to bid for the CFL package in 2021.

* Perhaps Rogers believes the Jays TV package, minus ownership, will be too expensive and they would rather have a less expensive, more profitable(?), CFL package instead.

* Perhaps the first 2 years of Tannen-Bell Argo ownership proved to Rogers the  losses are not substantial.  And, if the Argos losses are not huge, that bodes well for the rest of the CFL.

* Rogers wants to put the "We Hate The CFL" Scarlet Letter away for good - while trying to expand their brand.

* There is NO doubt about the Argos future with the entire MLSE backing it.

KevinRiley2

To his credit, Mirage/Access Media called this as well.

Between calling the sale of the Jays and this, I am starting to wonder if Mirage/Access Media knows more than all of us.

KevinRiley2

Was this discussed on Prime Time Sports?

Did Bob McClown bleep himself?

batkinson001

Was this discussed on Prime Time Sports?

Did Bob McClown bleep himself?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/prime-time-sports-december-13-5pm-4/

not mcclown but they discussed it here somewhat
Argos Season Ticket Holder for 2010, 2011, 2012 (GC100!), 2013, 2014, 2016 (GC at BMO!), 2017 & 2018

Member of the Double Blue Order, Section 116 in the Fan Zone at BMO Field.

Users Online

74 Guests, 6 Users (4 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, TravelPat1, joe, cheater, 72er, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 130. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)