FootbalYouBet

If we are lucky our ethics are tested where we can do the  right thing unfettered by money.
This is his time.
He needs to shut this down now...and live well as  62year old man.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

everyman

That's a lot of thumbs alright.
I'll just flip my screen and pretend you agree.

Johnny Ticat slayer

If Trestman leaves, the Argos will go back to sucking! It is very late for the Argos to find a new HC (should it be necessary).

Possible Argo head coach candidates:

Jim Popp
Jeff Reinebold
Jacques Chapdelaine
Marcel Bellefeuille

The Argos will reflect fondly on the days when they "packed" their stadium with 15 000 people. They'll be lucky to get 3000 with one of those dudes as HC. 
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

everyman

If Trestman leaves, the Argos will go back to sucking! It is very late for the Argos to find a new HC (should it be necessary).

Jim Popp
Jeff Reinebold
Jacques Chapdelaine
Marcel Bellefeuille

The Argos will reflect fondly on the days when they "packed" their stadium with 15 000 people. They'll be lucky to get 3000 with one of those dudes as HC.
I don't think he will be leaving but if he does I think it will be:
Chamblin or Condell or Brady. All on staff now.

I think Seattle will go with proven success at OC with Mike Shula recently fired by Carolina after a lot of success. Or Norv Turner. Both guys proven to work well with mobile QB's and with teams who also like to run the ball.

I just think Trestman should say No to this now. Seattle is a  bad fit for him anyway in many many ways.
And Trestman's only success in the past 20 years has been in the CFL. It's time he faced the facts.

97valkyrie

To diss him if he accepts this offer is totally asinine.
Agree.  It`s unfortunate but he has to do what`s best for him and his family.
Absolutely.
Yup and sometime he has to show his family that what is best for them is to show honor and loyalty. Twice the CFL has rescued him from the scrap heap of failure and paid him a fortune.
His success in Montreal, where he made $3-4 mil for 6 mos  year for 5 years,  and then enabled him to make 8-10 mil in the NFL in 3 years. Now CFL rescued him again to the tune of $600,000/year. Now he needs to teach the value of loyalty and honor not just money. He has enough of that.  
Everyman....where did you get these numbers from?

FootbalYouBet

Absolutely.
Yup and sometime he has to show his family that what is best for them is to show honor and loyalty. Twice the CFL has rescued him from the scrap heap of failure and paid him a fortune.
His success in Montreal, where he made $3-4 mil for 6 mos  year for 5 years,  and then enabled him to make 8-10 mil in the NFL in 3 years. Now CFL rescued him again to the tune of $600,000/year. Now he needs to teach the value of loyalty and honor not just money. He has enough of that.  
you mean you want the address of the exact cell in his brain??

everyman

Absolutely.
Just guesstimates for sure:
Chi: 3 year deal for 2-3 mil /year ( lasted 2 year but paid or subsidized for duration)
Balt 2 year OC: 1-1.2 mil per (lasted 1.5 but paid...could well be more)
CFL: highest paid at reported $500,000- + per. Widely reported at $600,000 in TO now
So maybe off a bit.
Do you think those are off a lot?

depopulationINC

Jim Popp
Jeff Reinebold
Jacques Chapdelaine
Marcel Bellefeuille

I don't think he will be leaving but if he does I think it will be:
Chamblin or Condell or Brady. All on staff now.

I think Seattle will go with proven success at OC with Mike Shula recently fired by Carolina after a lot of success. Or Norv Turner. Both guys proven to work well with mobile QB's and with teams who also like to run the ball.

I just think Trestman should say No to this now. Seattle is a  bad fit for him anyway in many many ways.
And Trestman's only success in the past 20 years has been in the CFL. It's time he faced the facts.
Mike Shula got the shaft...solid coordinator that has been saddled with a team see it's offensive weapons depleted.  The loss of Ginn was really never replaced and tightened the field up way too much for the O...this was out of his hands.  When he had deep threats that could make the D play with some respect back there he was a superb OC.  Personally...if I were the Raiders I would be all in on him...seems like a fit.

Xvys

We should remember this wish list was just made up by a sports reporter. He's not connected with the Seahawks organization and his story didn't contain any facts or quotes, only his theories.

Trestman would only walk away from his Argos contract for a head coaching position in the NFL. It was widely reported Trestman signed in Toronto for $500k to $600k per year.

The previously highest paid coach was Jeff Tedford in B.C. who's salary was reported as $350k. I believe Trestman made less than that amount as coach in Montreal.

KevinRiley2

Sadly, there is no loyalty in life, let alone sports.  Marriages end.  CEO`s jump from company to company.  Actors jump from film to film.  Companies fire at will.

If he has the chance for more money, he should take it, and I will bear(?) him no ill will.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

DAN38

Well I sort of support what Everyman is saying and if we want this kind of exodus to the NFL by players and coaches, we have to stop hiring them. Quick success is the downfall of the league. I've always hated the drain away of a team after it wins the GC... We keep using phrases like " he's got to do best for his family" or "the team will not hold back a player's progress" or the ever popular "he's always wanted to play in the NFL". There is no consistency on the teams like there used to be. I'm sick of guys playing a year or two and then leaving and then quite often coming back..Everybody talks about Toronto's attitude that it wants to be American and yet all the CFL teams fawn and fight to get American players and coaches. This Manziel guy is a perfect example. We need more Canadian coaches, GMs and players, not less ! If we count Buono?? then there are only two Canuck HCs.

If all the HCs and GMs and most of the players were Canadian, there would still be a great game being played and there would still be a Grey Cup. We have to lose the perception that because he's American,he's better. Not so. We just have to give the home growns a chance. I AM CANADIAN.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

bowl450

if somebody offered you $30 per hr would you move or would you be loyal to your current employer for minimum wage ?
Marc Trestman should do what he feels is best for him and his family.

beaglehound

Well I sort of support what Everyman is saying and if we want this kind of exodus to the NFL by players and coaches, we have to stop hiring them. Quick success is the downfall of the league. I've always hated the drain away of a team after it wins the GC... We keep using phrases like " he's got to do best for his family" or "the team will not hold back a player's progress" or the ever popular "he's always wanted to play in the NFL". There is no consistency on the teams like there used to be. I'm sick of guys playing a year or two and then leaving and then quite often coming back..Everybody talks about Toronto's attitude that it wants to be American and yet all the CFL teams fawn and fight to get American players and coaches. This Manziel guy is a perfect example. We need more Canadian coaches, GMs and players, not less ! If we count Buono?? then there are only two Canuck HCs.

If all the HCs and GMs and most of the players were Canadian, there would still be a great game being played and there would still be a Grey Cup. We have to lose the perception that because he's American,he's better. Not so. We just have to give the home growns a chance. I AM CANADIAN.
Gee Dan, after that speech I was about to stand up and start singing our national anthem with my right hand placed over my heart.  ;D

beaglehound

Absolutely.
Not sure I agree with your take on the Everyman. I don't see it as the CFL "rescuing" Trestman by re-hiring him.  The CFL made a business decision by hiring Trestman.  And it paid off.  Trestman led the Argos to a Grey Cup championship.  I don't see loyalty and honor figuring into the equation.  Players and coaches get cut loose regularly and we as fans sometimes wonder why.  

Trestman was hired by the Argos club and was offered X amount of money to produce. He produced.  He got paid what he was worth and he was worth was he got paid. 

If Trestman is offered something in Seattle and accepts the offer it will be a business decision and will have nothing to do with disloyalty or lack of honor in my opinion.  I see nothing wrong with a player or coach wanting another challenge or grabbing an opportunity to increase his own financial bottom line  if it's presented to him. 

We have had a lot of quality players go south and try out in the NFL.  Some succeed and some return to the open arms of the CFL.  When they decide to try out in the NFL some fans are of mixed emotions. They are sad their team may have lost one of the best players ever but on the other hand they want to wish the guy all the best and hope he succeeds in bettering his career.  It is hard to make a case against ambition as long as integrity is not compromised. 

Personally., I don't think Trestman owes the CFL anything.  He has done a good job as coach of the Argos and Als.  He was paid to do a job and to do it well.  He fulfilled his obligations.  If opportunity knocks at the door elsewhere do we really have the right to judge his sense of loyalty and sense of honor?

DAN38

if somebody offered you $30 per hr would you move or would you be loyal to your current employer for minimum wage ?
Marc Trestman should do what he feels is best for him and his family.
      This is not what I was talking about but if Trestman leaves because it's better for his family then I gotta ask why he took this job in the first place AND loyalty to family always comes first over employment, at least in my books.

Users Online

72 Guests, 6 Users (6 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Niagara Als, SeaFiddle, FootbalYouBet, jkm, VICIOUSCIRCLE, ExPat, Google (6)

Most Online Today: 141. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)