LeStaf

Suite à cette terrible blessure au cou, Jonathan Hefney demeure gravement diminué.  Son cas illustre à quel point le régime d'assurance médicale de la LCF est injuste pour les joueurs américains.  Si Hefney était canadien, il bénéficierait d'une couverture médicale publique, et aurait probablement déjà été opéré.  La couverture médicale des joueurs s'éteint après un an seulement, de sorte qu'il n'a plus de moyens pour se faire opérer.  Hefney est invalide. Comment pourrait-t-il se payer les 80 000$ dont il a besoin pour se faire opérer et redevenir un citoyen actif?

Dans un sport pouvant laisser des séquelles graves et à long terme, il est difficilement concevable que les joueurs n'aient pas un appui suffisant pour leur permettre de rejoindre leur seconde carrière en relative santé lorsque leur carrière de joueur de football se termine sur le terrain.

En attendant que la ligue et l'associations des joueurs fassent évoluer cette question, une campagne de soutien financier pour les soins de Jonathan Hefney est en cours.  En tant que supporteurs des joueurs de cette ligue, je vous invite à y contribuer.  Je n'étais pas le plus grand fan de Hefney, mais ce qui lui arrive est injuste, aussi j'y ai apporté ma contribution anonyme.

Surgery Jonathan Hefney

[size=150]For translation  ---->[/size]  http://translate.google.ca/

Aerial

Following this terrible neck injury, Jonathan Hefney remains seriously diminished. His case illustrates the unfairness of the CFL medical insurance plan for US players. If Hefney was Canadian, he would have public medical coverage, and would probably have already been operated on. The medical cover of the players is extinguished after only one year, so that he no longer has the means to be operated. Hefney is invalid. How would he be able to afford the $ 80,000 he needs to be operated on and become an active citizen again?

In a sport that can leave serious and long-term sequelae it is hardly conceivable that players do not have sufficient support to allow them to rejoin their second career in relative health when their football career ends in the field .

While waiting for the league and player associations to evolve this issue, a financial support campaign for Jonathan Hefney's care is underway. As fans of the players in this league, I invite you to contribute. I was not Hefney's biggest fan, but what happens to him is unfair, so I made my anonymous contribution.

Surgery Jonathan Hefney
Google translated.  Anyways, group plans vary even within a particular employer, unionized workers can have a different plan from non-unionized workers.  My wife working for a hospital was non-union at one time and then when her co-workers in her area of work unionized, the plan changed, for the worse, not as much covered.  The players union will have to look into how much they want their players to pay into a plan to cover more, if in fact that is the real issue, I don't know to be honest.  Sounds like a bit of a complicated case here with Jonathan.

I gather he isn't a Canadian citizen but then refugees coming into Canada receive health benefits to some degree immediately from what I understand so who knows?   :-\

Ok, will have to read this:

Interim Federal Health Program: Summary of coverage

The Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) provides limited, temporary coverage of health-care benefits to people in the following groups who aren’t eligible for provincial or territorial (PT) health insurance:

• protected persons, including resettled refugees;
• refugee claimants; and
• certain other groups.

The IFHP does not cover the cost of health-care services or products that a person may claim (even in part) under a public or private health insurance plan. The IFHP does not coordinate benefits with other insurance plans/programs so co-payments aren’t possible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/outside/summary-ifhp.asp

Good read in the Ottawa Citizen:

Either way, there won’t be any additional medical-benefits coverage from the Alouettes, who have met their obligations in full. If Hefney had been an equipment manager or athletic therapist or held any number of other “normal” jobs, he would have been eligible for provincial worker-compensation benefits.

“If it was anywhere else and I got hurt on the job. … I got hurt on live TV.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/cfl/costs-benefits-jonathan-hefneys-injury-odyssey-shows-plight-of-athletes-in-canada
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Wumper

I called The Commissioner, spoke to his EA. Nice lady assured me she'd bring it to his attention. Sure, he's not aware......

The CFL would be wise to resolve this promptly before it starts to bite, and it could.

You can follow the contributions, it's interesting to note who the good guys are, and aren't, SO FAR.

Milt's in, no Dunigan, no one else "on the panel"....

Morning Big Blue is in, Lyle Bauer is in, Geroy Simon is in, no Wad Miller, no WBBFC.

Montreal Team or Owner, MIA.

I was impressed to see Bo Levi is in, he just turned my attitude towards him 180 degrees.

No one from the League (you know they are aware), probably on lawyer's advice.

Over ten k, it will make it.

ANGERED TO SEE THE MOD'S HAVE REMOVED THE ORIGINAL POST THAT HAD THE LINK TO THE FUND.
Illegitimi non carborundum

LeStaf

I called The Commissioner, spoke to his EA. Nice lady assured me she'd bring it to his attention. Sure, he's not aware......

The CFL would be wise to resolve this promptly before it starts to bite, and it could.

You can follow the contributions, it's interesting to note who the good guys are, and aren't, SO FAR.

Morning Big Blue is in, Lyle Bauer is in, Geroy Simon is in, no Wad Miller, no WBBFC.

I was impressed to see Bo Levi is in, he just turned my attitude towards him 180 degrees.

ANGERED TO SEE THE MOD'S HAVE REMOVED THE ORIGINAL POST THAT HAD THE LINK TO THE FUND.
Il semble que le lien soit redevenu actif.

Andrew Hawkins à 1 000$.  Généreux et plein de classe, comme toujours!

brihind88

It is ok to state " good guys " who contribute.

Yet because you do not see other names , do not label them as " aren't "

It is their choice. 

Having said that, I do not agree that the names should be published.   

Should be a privacy issue.  Might even be in the privacy act.

brianjoxx

I do like the present health care policy for american players.

Xvys

Didn't the Canadian judge reject Arland Bruce's concussion lawsuit because he said the matter should be dealt with under the Workman's Compensation Program? But now, the WCP is not available to Hefney for medical care after being injured at work in Canada? Seems like something is wrong here.

Aerial

I doubt there has been a case like this challenged in a court of law and is what it may take to actually know what is legal here.  Sure, we can all say the morally correct thing to do would be for Jonathan Hefney to receive medical care as any other Canadian citizen would paid for from the provincial health insurance plan.  But what is legal?  I know if I travel to the US and don't have medical insurance and I need medical care, guess who pays?

Wumper

Please visit Jonathan's gofundme:

https://www.gofundme.com/4ik88e0

Grover

I think it sucks that a team has no probs still paying their fired Head Coach($400K) and their
fired DC($200K), but won't pony up to pay the $80K needed for Hefney's surgery caused while playing for their team. Consequences!

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

DAN38

I think it sucks that a team has no probs still paying their fired Head Coach($400K) and their
fired DC($200K), but won't pony up to pay the $80K needed for Hefney's surgery caused while playing for their team. Consequences!
BINGO !
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Aerial

Yes, seems to me if you want your organization to look classy and morally active, completely agree Grover.

Wumper

David Asper - $1,000.00!!

Nice......

Johnny Ticat slayer

You are 100% correct Grover!
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

Users Online

98 Guests, 4 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, dcmoses, Hamilton2005, jim43bob, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 140. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)