Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

KevinRiley2

Johnny Manziel in the CFL will...

Sell tickets !    :)
and give Rod Black and Co something to talk about for decades
Hopefully.   :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Vermonter

Will he wind up starting more games than Troy Smith?
I say he starts fewer CFL games than Troy Smith. 

1898, 1900, 02, 25, 26, 40, 51, 60, 68, 69, 73, 76, 2016

Ferg

be part of an era when the CFL reaches a much higher level of visibility, popularity and profitability.

Johnny is a human highlight film and a social media star.  When he is on, he'll draw a ton of eyes.

That is one of 3 things that will bring the the CFL more visibility.

The second is ESPN launching ESPN+ in the US where they are putting a lot of the CFL games.  They are bound to market the CFL heavily, especially with Johnny playing, to get subscriptions.

The third is the NFL.  Many Americans have tuned them out after the kneeling controversy.   This gives them an alternative.  In addition, for US College Football fans, it gives them something to watch prior to September.

My guess he'll sit the first 4 weeks, and then get a chance after the first bye week.

I think the two things he'll need to adjust to the most are having only 2 downs to get 10 yards before you punt, and accounting for 12 defenders when he scrambles.

TravelPat1

Johnny Manziel in the CFL will ....  be responsible for having the Ti-Cats second preseason game in Montreal added as a 5th preseason game to be televised by TSN.   :)

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/04/johnny-effect-tsn-broadcast-ticats-second-pre-season-game/

Call it another example of the Johnny Effect.
CFL broadcast rights holder TSN has elected to televise Saturday’s exhibition game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Montreal Alouettes at Percival Molson Stadium in Montreal, which kicks off at 12 p.m. ET. The game wasn’t initially on TSN’s slate of four exhibition contests but has been added to the list.

Ticats’ head coach June Jones announced on Monday that starting quarterback Jeremiah Masoli won’t play against the Alouettes and while he didn’t specify, it seems likely that Manziel will get the start. Fellow backups Vernon Adams and Byrant Moniz are also expected to see time.

The level of interest in Manziel has been off the charts across North America. Reporters for ESPN and USA Today made the trip to Hamilton for Manziel’s debut and video of his first drive is now the eighth most watched item on TSN’s YouTube channel.
The game will be on at Noon ET Saturday on TSN 1 and 5.

CatsFaninOttawa

First off I doubt Manziel lasts the year. He'll only make the team on the hype. But he looked surprisingly smallish to me. And he was playing the Argos 3rd stringers still not impressed by his arm. And lastly the CFL shouldn't be turning into a league to help washed up NFLers get back into the NFL. Like we can't be turning into a practice league. Its a league for CANADIANS
I was actually impressed with Manziel's zip on the ball. Kind of reminded me of Dieter Brock - the ball got to the receivers very quickly, and on target. Except I don't remember Brock doing that on the run as much as Manziel was doing.

No, he didn't throw any long passes, with the only semi-long throw being the one he dumped out of bounds. But that was Jones's call. I suspect we'll some longer throws this week. We'll know better then whether he can still hurl them deep.

canadianfootballfan

First off I doubt Manziel lasts the year. He'll only make the team on the hype. But he looked surprisingly smallish to me. And he was playing the Argos 3rd stringers still not impressed by his arm. And lastly the CFL shouldn't be turning into a league to help washed up NFLers get back into the NFL. Like we can't be turning into a practice league. Its a league for CANADIANS
Such a refreshing point of view!  I'm with you!

Grover

IMHO, Manziel's conditioning isn't up to where a starting CFL QB should be.
He showed lots of talent last outing for a player with a week of training camp under his belt, but his conditioning would dictate he is nowhere close to playing a full 18 game schedule as a #1 QB.
We must remember he decided at the last hour , 2 days before the start of Camp to sign with HAM
after not playing meaningful football for over 2 years.
His conditioning is one of the major obstacles he will have to overcome to have success.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

pikk

Such a refreshing point of view!  I'm with you!
I found flutie smallish. And it is a league for football players, and with out Americans say good bye.

burnsy99

if its a league of all Canadians so be it. Canada has to have ONE league we can call our own can't we? Everything else we have is run by the Americans.

burnsy99

Such a refreshing point of view!  I'm with you!
Right on FAN don't know what the CFL gets by making this Manziel character almost bigger then the league itself. I mean that last game the Argos and Ticats were playing 3rd fiddle to how JOhnny Manziel was feeling on the sidelines. I don't care if he makes the league or not won't affect my interest but makes the CFL look desperate to get attention

Aerial

Isn't the media though providing most of this Manziel mania thing rather than the league? 
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

FootbalYouBet

Isn't the media though providing most of this Manziel mania thing rather than the league?
youbetcha

rpaege

The Manziel hype is purely media driven to be sure, and why not? If it gives 'em a hook to report on the goings on in the CFL that's a good thing. I have seen very little if any Johnny Football hype from the league itself.

Despite the financial and other rules governing the League, teams still have the right to scout and recruit players as they see fit. If Johnny can play — and win — at quarterback, his past failures seem pretty irrelevant, and if he's exciting while playing and winning that's GREAT for the league.

I have a few NFL fans as friends of course given where I live, and they know about Johnny in the CFL, and if the fans know, the players know too and that's gotta help future recruitment.

BCRiderFan

if its a league of all Canadians so be it. Canada has to have ONE league we can call our own can't we? Everything else we have is run by the Americans.
Do you think there's a .00001 % chance of this happening? There's not, nor should there be obviously. And Canada does have a league to call our own, it's called the CFL.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

Users Online

48 Guests, 2 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
OskeeweeneeVI, of course, Google (AdSense), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)