oilerrocker

I'd be fine paying  a service charge on my ticket that would go towards training the officials.

sth1988

Of bigger consequence to the Eskimos is that Maas is supposed to be the leader.  His players see what he did and all of a sudden it's ok.  The throat slash was an example.  How does the coach hold his players accountable for that sort of thing when he got the same penalty?  He can't.  Both incidents were penalties.  I get his personality is firey, but he has to understand he is the leader and needs to set the example.  He will either learn it or fail.

T44

Yes...if a 41 year old Head Coach believes his temper tantrums are the best way to motivate the most undisciplined team in the league good luck to him. He should be proud of his strategy. Working well.
I think getting screwed by officiating had a lot to do with it. CFL has to fix the problem with officiating .
Last nights game was the first time I can remember an off field official calling a penalty in a critical time of the game (throat slash) .
Was it the same official that stopped the play to to check Reilly for a concussion, if so why wasn't the head shot called.
Their are many other examples of the Esks getting screwed last night .
Probably because it wasn't a head shot. No wonder Edmonton leads the league in penalties with a leader like that.

T44

Oh please. When was the last time a throat slash WASN'T called in a professional football game? That rule is black and white and has been on the books for years. It's going to be called 10 times out of 10 by on OR off-field officials.

Another rule that might be new....is no weapon simulation

I cant remember who it was...Maybe Edmonton, but a player was flagged on  2 consecutives plays for pretending to take out a sword slice and then put it in its sheath   It was during the preseason
Kind of the point i made earlier there are lots of stupid things players do.   Nobody seems to be complaining that Duke Williams humped the goal post after his TD.   Nobody complains when they shoot fake guns in the air.  God knows whatever else people will take as being inappropriate celebrations.    The cost of the penalty for this stuff is way to much.   Ya players should know better but hit them where it hurts individually .... wallet.    Do not punish the whole team for one man's stupid play.    Let the play stand  give the offending player a  "tech foul" like in basketball.  Do it again your out of the game.   Fines a coming afterwards.   Giving Calgary the free yards and a first down is not the right answer in my opinion.    As the rule stands now of course it is the right call. CC did nothing wrong there simply enforcing the rule, but the rule itself is dumb.  

I think I am getting a concussion banging my head from some of the thread posts on this forum, someone better give me a concussion protocol test.
Are you sure you didn't bump your head before you started posting-- ;) lol

T44

I am definitely not an Edmonton fan, but Calgary is really getting calls from the officials. There were two roughing the passer calls (one helmet to helmet and one below the knees) and one late hit out of bounds on last series punt return that were not called. I could see why Maas was upset. This crew and Kim Murphy crew are crap.
Not to mention the blatant punch on O'Donnell when he was on his back. Their are 2 standards when it comes to Bo Levi and Reilly, if you so much as bump Bo it's RTP call while Reilly takes shot after shot and gets nothing .
I suppose you think the officials will be more inclined to side with the Eskimos on close calls after your coach acts like a total mad man and tries to embarrass them. Good luck.

dcmoses

Yes...if a 41 year old Head Coach believes his temper tantrums are the best way to motivate the most undisciplined team in the league good luck to him. He should be proud of his strategy. Working well.
I think getting screwed by officiating had a lot to do with it. CFL has to fix the problem with officiating .
Last nights game was the first time I can remember an off field official calling a penalty in a critical time of the game (throat slash) .
Was it the same official that stopped the play to to check Reilly for a concussion, if so why wasn't the head shot called.
Their are many other examples of the Esks getting screwed last night .
Probably because it wasn't a head shot. No wonder Edmonton leads the league in penalties with a leader like that.
Rewatch the video; helmet right into the chin of Reilly. The officiating was horrible. Not going to say they decided the game (although they did impact the game in a big way) nor will I say they deliberately targeted Edmonton and ignored Calgary (serious accusation and you better have proof it was deliberate). The helmet to head contact on Reilly is fact. The video supports it.

Preisst

At first I thought he was whining about the PI challenge which is silly cuz if anything it was offensive interference.

I now think he was whining about the non-call on the roughing play on Reilly that wasn't called and then the concussion protocol they enforced,  gotta admit it's contradictory.

That said a HC needs to keep his cool better then that.....
Yup, if anything it was offensive interference on Williams as he was draped all over Adeleke who had great position in coverage.

The hit on Reilly happened in the 3rd qtr, the Maas hissy fit occurred before halftime.
Watching those three games in a row was hard on my recall.....lol.....
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

Preisst

I couldn't let pass the comment that the officiating has been good.  If you really believe that, you have not watched a single Calgary game all year.  Not sure whether it is willful blindness or just an unconscious bias, but Calgary never gets called for anything where judgement is involved, especially at critical times in the game.  The headshot on Reilly and the shove way out of bounds on the return are perfect examples.
I am an eskimos fan and fully admit that they deserve pretty much every penalty they get but Calgary gets next to no roughing penalties (there should have been at least three in this game), almost no holding penalties (you could call holding on pretty much every play by every team, but it is rarely called on Calgary), and they get very few PI calls against them.
I must agree that the Stumps get far more then their share of favourable calls on judgement calls.  

oilerrocker

I am definitely not an Edmonton fan, but Calgary is really getting calls from the officials. There were two roughing the passer calls (one helmet to helmet and one below the knees) and one late hit out of bounds on last series punt return that were not called. I could see why Maas was upset. This crew and Kim Murphy crew are crap.
Not to mention the blatant punch on O'Donnell when he was on his back. Their are 2 standards when it comes to Bo Levi and Reilly, if you so much as bump Bo it's RTP call while Reilly takes shot after shot and gets nothing .
I suppose you think the officials will be more inclined to side with the Eskimos on close calls after your coach acts like a total mad man and tries to embarrass them. Good luck.
If you're going to quote someone at least comeback with a valid argument otherwise your just trolling . Go back look at the play 1:45 minutes left in the forth and tell me that's not a roughing penalty. I'd like to hear your argument on that.

prairiewolf77

I am getting tired of two things:
The constant complaining about the refs. They are calling too strict, they are calling too soft. They missed that call. The refs are human as are the players and the coaches.

The players know the rules. If they play within them, then there is less pressure on the refs. There is not a professional league in the world that doesn't have complaints about the refs, especially the major leagues; NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Premier League...

Throat slash gets called 100% in all football leagues. Can't believe players do that since it gets called from High School up.

I have found this year to be quite enjoyable. I get ticked at a call against a team, then later in the game they get a call go their way.

Doesn't the CFL go through a review of the calls, and they find 80-90% of the calls made are in fact correct.

Other issue is the behaviour of the coaches. I get its high stakes, and the coach has his head on the line, but watching Dickenson freak out on every almost every play (reminds of the Chucky doll from Childs Play), and Maas reaction to things is just getting ridiculous.

As for Concussion protocol, it bites everyone, but with multi-million dollar lawsuits on its back, is the CFL just going to take a players word, then when he retires, he signs on for one of the lawsuits. Probably not.

Preisst

The constant complaining about the refs. They are calling too strict, they are calling too soft. They missed that call. The refs are human as are the players and the coaches.

The players know the rules. If they play within them, then there is less pressure on the refs. There is not a professional league in the world that doesn't have complaints about the refs, especially the major leagues; NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, Premier League...

Throat slash gets called 100% in all football leagues. Can't believe players do that since it gets called from High School up.

I have found this year to be quite enjoyable. I get ticked at a call against a team, then later in the game they get a call go their way.

Doesn't the CFL go through a review of the calls, and they find 80-90% of the calls made are in fact correct.

Other issue is the behaviour of the coaches. I get its high stakes, and the coach has his head on the line, but watching Dickenson freak out on every almost every play (reminds of the Chucky doll from Childs Play), and Maas reaction to things is just getting ridiculous.

As for Concussion protocol, it bites everyone, but with multi-million dollar lawsuits on its back, is the CFL just going to take a players word, then when he retires, he signs on for one of the lawsuits. Probably not.
Dickinson is a serious hothead on the field.  What fools many is how low key he is otherwise and how quickly he regains his calm when he does freak out.   But yeah no doubt he has tantrum issues.

oilerrocker

i agree with everything you said. It's been a good year so far, very competitive west I just wish the east was more so.

The throat slash penalty is a penalty but my issue was who called it? It wasn't an on field official and their has been no statement from the league.

Of all the penalties missed particularly the head shot on Reilly why not step in and call it ? They called of all things a throat slash at a very critical point of the game. As other posters here have said Calgary gets lots of favourable calls well this just adds to the controversy.
I wonder if we'll see more off field officials calling penalties?

dcmoses

Of all the penalties missed particularly the head shot on Reilly why not step in and call it ? They called of all things a throat slash at a very critical point of the game. As other posters here have said Calgary gets lots of favourable calls well this just adds to the controversy.
Telling was the replay of the Edmonton bench on the throat slash; no one complained on the call but it was easy to read lips on Maas, Benevedes and one other coach, "Who called that?" If that was called by the CC that is a serious problem and not the first time they have over stepped their authority under the rules to do whatever they wanted. The CC has gone rouge and needs to be fired.

The hit on Reilly was a head shot but not a clear penalty under the circumstances. The on field guys missed it which the head official should address with the specific members of the crew. However it couldn't be called by the CC since no review was requested or required on the play. It was league medical spotters that pulled Rielly which is completely separate from video review. (at least in make up, maybe not physically)

oilerrocker

Telling was the replay of the Edmonton bench on the throat slash; no one complained on the call but it was easy to read lips on Maas, Benevedes and one other coach, "Who called that?" If that was called by the CC that is a serious problem and not the first time they have over stepped their authority under the rules to do whatever they wanted. The CC has gone rouge and needs to be fired.

The hit on Reilly was a head shot but not a clear penalty under the circumstances. The on field guys missed it which the head official should address with the specific members of the crew. However it couldn't be called by the CC since no review was requested or required on the play. It was league medical spotters that pulled Rielly which is completely separate from video review. (at least in make up, maybe not physically)

I've watched the replay many times  and nobody threw a flag, I'm baffled as to who made the call . Only thing I can come up with is they seen it and didn't bother throwing the flag. 
I for the life of me can't see how the head shot was missed as the ref was 10ft away. 
Oh well I move on and chalk it up to a bad game for the officials, we all have a bad day at work every now and again . 

dcmoses

I've watched the replay many times  and nobody threw a flag, I'm baffled as to who made the call . Only thing I can come up with is they seen it and didn't bother throwing the flag.
I for the life of me can't see how the head shot was missed as the ref was 10ft away.
Oh well I move on and chalk it up to a bad game for the officials, we all have a bad day at work every now and again .
I can't believe I'm the one, of all people here, defending the officials this season (not to say I'm the only one). This game was a horribly officiated game, but that was not the norm for this season. The on field crews have been far better than in past years.

The big question with the throat slash is not just who called it but why was no explanation given. Edmonton bench asked who and were ignored by the officials. As someone who officiates hockey I can tell you there are only 1 reasons you ignore a player/coach when they have a question, you don't want to give them the answer.

Users Online

217 Guests, 13 Users (19 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rpaege, dcmoses, PTBO Dave, jim43bob, Count Floyd, StampsRock!, vampiresquid, GHT120, cheater, Chewbaca1973, Google (19)

Most Online Today: 300. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)