Iconic SR

Why bother signing contracts at all then ? If this nancy gets his way, what's to stop all players from doing the same ? It's the league I'm worried about, not Wilder or any other player. They are not bigger than the league.
I don’t believe this will become a widespread thing. It’s very unusual, but does speak to the concerns of many that the league minimal contract salary is too low.
I am quoting Grover "from memory" 1 or 2 years ago when he said the league wanted to raise the league minimum but the PA said no. Maybe Grover could expand on this.  The 2 sides were not together on this item for different reasons. I hope after next season the minimum moves to $75K. If 15 players are making minimum X $20K = $300,000. I don't think it is too out of line
I read another post in here somewhere today I think that indicated the same thing - that it’s the players union that has made this too low a salary thing the issue it is. I can’t remember who posted it. There’s a story here it sounds like. And regardless, I think it’s still something the commissioner should wade into and weigh in on and address so that this doesn’t become a bigger issue.

Taleback

Don't worry. Like it or not the Commissioner is going to have to deal with at the end of the year when the new CBA is due.

everyman

Re CBA
It was no secret that the last CBA was run , on the PA side, by the highest paid group in the CFL... established Canadian O-line guys. They sure didn't want their income to drop.

Most Imports coming in are at minimum. They don't have a voice. 

If minimum gets raised most established players will want a corresponding raise.

I think most would be shocked at how many players on each team are closer to the minimum than $100,000.

Grover

Argos statement

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

bohdon

Bill now pays me $77,000/yr, Mike has offered to pay me $82,000/yr...... c u later Bill.

Contract? ha and how does that work again? oh ya you can fire me at anytime but yet I must "honor" mine.
Sounds more like slavery to me, how is it that someone... or in this case a team can actually own someone.

If you are not fighting for yourself.....hmmmm not sure I want you on my team anyways.

I know people who do not werk very hard at all and they make much more than Wilder. I say he has every right in the world to try to better his situation. Could he not find a much better paying job in just about any and every office. Heck I bet 1st yr wages for a mail carrier would probably match or better what he has now.

You want - you pay.

I don`t believe he said anything about playing football this year = contract honored.
Does his contract not extend into November 2018 so he won't get a chance until 2019 . So who is waiting with the golden parachute when you missed the entire season . Usually contracts on the civil side via Bill and Mike scenario have stipulations as to what you are paid if contract is terminated before end date on both sides . That is why there is a contract . It does prevent Mike becoming engaged with
you and you will have a penalty to pay if there is no mutual release of services .
Actors ,actresses musicians are sued and sue all the time as they are contractually tied down to whatever contract they signed . Usually these are individual contracts .

The contract Wilder signed is a contract with union restraints thus there is release clauses  that are league wide and not individually based .

August /September 2019 is a long way off to get a contract he will be older and nothing to show for his resume in 2018 . Usually a big empty space with no practical excuse is a no no when applying for work . I guess he can say he wanted to travel .

I am pretty sure he will be suspended by the CFL and he may not be eligible to play here if they don't want him in the NFL .

Ambrosie may not be as facilitating as when Williams left to pursue his NFL dreams under a different commissioner . He seems a little more astute and involved in his duties than his predecessor .

I think you're misunderstanding me and him as well.

Take a low risk job that pays similar or better, wait out the poor contract, sign a better contract when said poor contract expires.... no money lost and much less risk of injury , also closer to home.

If Bill and Mike want to fight.... it's there right, but that's no reason for James to hang around, he has his own life to worry about.

bohdon

Bill now pays me $77,000/yr, Mike has offered to pay me $82,000/yr...... c u later Bill.

Contract? ha and how does that work again? oh ya you can fire me at anytime but yet I must "honor" mine.
Sounds more like slavery to me, how is it that someone... or in this case a team can actually own someone.

If you are not fighting for yourself.....hmmmm not sure I want you on my team anyways.

I know people who do not werk very hard at all and they make much more than Wilder. I say he has every right in the world to try to better his situation. Could he not find a much better paying job in just about any and every office. Heck I bet 1st yr wages for a mail carrier would probably match or better what he has now.

You want - you pay.

I don`t believe he said anything about playing football this year = contract honored.
Except any player can quit anytime to take a higher paying job, just not from an employer who has agreed to respect the league's contracts.

If Wilder is offered a job for $100,000 by Google or UPS or whomever, he can quit the CFL and take it.
I thought that was a point I was trying to make...?

HfxTC

You want - you pay.

Does his contract not extend into November 2018 so he won't get a chance until 2019 . So who is waiting with the golden parachute when you missed the entire season . Usually contracts on the civil side via Bill and Mike scenario have stipulations as to what you are paid if contract is terminated before end date on both sides . That is why there is a contract . It does prevent Mike becoming engaged with
you and you will have a penalty to pay if there is no mutual release of services .
Actors ,actresses musicians are sued and sue all the time as they are contractually tied down to whatever contract they signed . Usually these are individual contracts .

The contract Wilder signed is a contract with union restraints thus there is release clauses  that are league wide and not individually based .

August /September 2019 is a long way off to get a contract he will be older and nothing to show for his resume in 2018 . Usually a big empty space with no practical excuse is a no no when applying for work . I guess he can say he wanted to travel .

I am pretty sure he will be suspended by the CFL and he may not be eligible to play here if they don't want him in the NFL .

Ambrosie may not be as facilitating as when Williams left to pursue his NFL dreams under a different commissioner . He seems a little more astute and involved in his duties than his predecessor .

I think you're misunderstanding me and him as well.

Take a low risk job that pays similar or better, wait out the poor contract, sign a better contract when said poor contract expires.... no money lost and much less risk of injury , also closer to home.

If Bill and Mike want to fight.... it's there right, but that's no reason for James to hang around, he has his own life to worry about.
That is the contract these players ratified overwhelmingly  of their own free will when their UNION wanted to hold out and fight for exactly these types of "injustices". The players chose a $12 000.00 bribe. 

They can cry a river for all I care. James had no job, no offer and for what amounts to 3 months work in his case walked away with around 80 000.00 Canadian plus a ring worth around 10k (he might as well sell it to an Argos fan).
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

bohdon

That is the contract these players ratified overwhelmingly  of their own free will when their UNION wanted to hold out and fight for exactly these types of "injustices". The players chose a $12 000.00 bribe.

They can cry a river for all I care. James had no job, no offer and for what amounts to 3 months work in his case walked away with around 80 000.00 Canadian plus a ring worth around 10k (he might as well sell it to an Argos fan).
That is the point....$90,000 after winning the championship may be a nice chunk of change for sure. The bigger picture is much much bigger than $90,000/yr let alone $90,000 after winning it all.

James found a job that he feels is comparable to what he has now all things considered.

Again how in the world do you feel that you can own someone to the point that you say that they must come and work for you or else.... makes one angry to be honest.

Years ago I had a job where I was getting paid $2/hr less than any new employee that was starting, even though I was the smallest guy on the site but I always carried double the load of the others, and I had already been there for a couple of years so I was training the new guys. These friends came and left but I stayed on and on for more than 4 years. What do you think happened when I suggested I should be paid the same.... broke my jaw.... of course it was all my fault I mean what... who am I to ask to be treated fairly... ya ok boss and I be there tomorrow morning boss lol.

Last year $500,000 was found in his wife's pocket (not her's)... good honest hard working upstanding citizen ya right. proud employer ya right. crooks to the core.

Bottom line treat your employees right, if he has a better offer let him go. There are no reasons to be asking any questions.

And there's certainly no reason to try to hold someone back from advancing oneself. That in itself should be a criminal offense.

For all those double loads that I carried I was forced to retire at 55 and live on less than $800/month. So for those who say he must honor his contract I say why? There is no honor in being blackballed and snowballed.

The solution is very simple.... pay up. respect up. and shut up. It's his life to do what he wants with it. If you won't respect that why should he respect you.

DAN38

bobo82

A flash in the pan . A dime a dozen . Totally and easily replaceable . Totally and easily forgotten in a heartbeat as soon as the next one comes along to replace him . Let him go already . It's not like he'll be missed by anybody . Hey if the dude wants to go slug bags of cement for 60 hrs a week instead of playing football ? then I say have at it buddy and good luck to you in your future endeavours .

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Iconic SR

What a difference 2 months makes when Wilder was touted by many as the best at his position. 

DAN38

I find it disturbing that many don't realize that JUST being a good football player is not enough.

Iconic SR

I find it disturbing that many don't realize that JUST being a good football player is not enough.
Knowing how to comprehend a contract seems to be pretty important too.
Wilder isn’t doing anything outside of the contingencies within the contract (ie. don’t pay, don’t get paid). Those upset with him are not aware that he’s exercising his rights within the contract terms. The Argos now have a choice: release him or renegotiate. 

Mightygoose

Or the Argos have a third choice. Let me stay at home, suspend him without pay and they'll move on without him.

If Wilder can get a non-football (more specifically non-NFL) job that pays more, it's perfectly within his rights to do that.

If he doesn't land and NFL gig, he will be a free agent in 2019, one year older than he is now and I doubt any of the other 8 clubs (maybe Montreal) will touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Iconic SR

Or the Argos have a third choice. Let me stay at home, suspend him without pay and they'll move on without him.

If Wilder can get a non-football (more specifically non-NFL) job that pays more, it's perfectly within his rights to do that.

If he doesn't land and NFL gig, he will be a free agent in 2019, one year older than he is now and I doubt any of the other 8 clubs (maybe Montreal) will touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Correct, they do have that 3rd choice. Tell me tho - why and to what end would they do this? So that they can publicly argue in the court of public opinion that players SHOULD play a highly dangerous, CTE risky sport - for peanuts and that the player cannot exercise the contract contingency of no play = no pay?

Argos would look like greedy, insensitive corporate tyrants if they play that card. Can't see them doing it.

This situation is like an unhappy spouse wanting to leave the marriage, and saying 'Thanks - but I'm out of here. And by the way - you can keep all our stuff. Will you please sign the divorce papers?'

Users Online

74 Guests, 2 Users (19 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pianoman8849, Grover, Google (18), Baidu

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)