bohdon

Bill now pays me $77,000/yr, Mike has offered to pay me $82,000/yr...... c u later Bill.

Contract? ha and how does that work again? oh ya you can fire me at anytime but yet I must "honor" mine.
Sounds more like slavery to me, how is it that someone... or in this case a team can actually own someone.

If you are not fighting for yourself.....hmmmm not sure I want you on my team anyways.

I know people who do not werk very hard at all and they make much more than Wilder. I say he has every right in the world to try to better his situation. Could he not find a much better paying job in just about any and every office. Heck I bet 1st yr wages for a mail carrier would probably match or better what he has now.

You want - you pay.

I don`t believe he said anything about playing football this year = contract honored.

Hank01

Bill now pays me $77,000/yr, Mike has offered to pay me $82,000/yr...... c u later Bill.

Contract? ha and how does that work again? oh ya you can fire me at anytime but yet I must "honor" mine.
Sounds more like slavery to me, how is it that someone... or in this case a team can actually own someone.

If you are not fighting for yourself.....hmmmm not sure I want you on my team anyways.

I know people who do not werk very hard at all and they make much more than Wilder. I say he has every right in the world to try to better his situation. Could he not find a much better paying job in just about any and every office. Heck I bet 1st yr wages for a mail carrier would probably match or better what he has now.

You want - you pay.

I don`t believe he said anything about playing football this year = contract honored.
 Does his contract not extend into November 2018 so he won't get a chance until 2019 . So who is waiting with the golden parachute when you missed the entire season . Usually contracts on the civil side via Bill and Mike scenario have stipulations as to what you are paid if contract is terminated before end date on both sides . That is why there is a contract . It does prevent Mike becoming engaged with
you and you will have a penalty to pay if there is no mutual release of services .
Actors ,actresses musicians are sued and sue all the time as they are contractually tied down to whatever contract they signed . Usually these are individual contracts .

The contract Wilder signed is a contract with union restraints thus there is release clauses  that are league wide and not individually based .

August /September 2019 is a long way off to get a contract he will be older and nothing to show for his resume in 2018 . Usually a big empty space with no practical excuse is a no no when applying for work . I guess he can say he wanted to travel .

I am pretty sure he will be suspended by the CFL and he may not be eligible to play here if they don't want him in the NFL .

Ambrosie may not be as facilitating as when Williams left to pursue his NFL dreams under a different commissioner . He seems a little more astute and involved in his duties than his predecessor .

Iconic SR

And I think that you may not understand that there are people like myself that stand by their word.
  Wilder is a dime a dozen and even more so if he has no honour. Sad world you live in.
When we hear a player get released by a team  (in effect - they're terminating the contract) - the phrase 'this is a business' is used by the GM or coach. And we all nod our head in acknowledgement or acceptance - and hope it's a good decision and hope the player can catch on elsewhere etc.

Contracts are a part of conducting business. Wilder hasn't broken any laws nor has he violated any code of conduct. He's choosing to void or terminate his contract and pay the consequences. Freedom. It's a great thing. Otherwise we must exist in a dictator state or communism where we don't have rights or flexibilities like this. Is that what you're advocating? That the team can void or terminate a contract but the player cannot?
That my friend, would be a very, very sad world to live in.

It's like you're taking it personally that Wilder is exercising his legal rights. Yet you don't accuse the team of not being 'honourable' - if THEY release a player. Very odd. I'm don't believe you understand how contracts are designed to work.
Exactly. When a team releases a player before a big bonus is due, nobody on here complains, yet when a player wants to end the agreement early, he automatically becomes the worst person on planet earth.

Interesting hypocrisy.  
Bingo! Hypocrisy is exactly what it is. Imagine these same critics losing their expected bonus the day before it's due.

We know they won't be siding with their employer.

PTBO Dave

Exactly. When a team releases a player before a big bonus is due, nobody on here complains, yet when a player wants to end the agreement early, he automatically becomes the worst person on planet earth.

Interesting hypocrisy.  
Really? Seems to me I read complaints on here every time a veteran player gets released before such bonuses.

In fact, there are several posts in this thread complaining about teams being able to end agreements early.

PTBO Dave

You want - you pay.

Except any player can quit anytime to take a higher paying job, just not from an employer who has agreed to respect the league's contracts.

If Wilder is offered a job for $100,000 by Google or UPS or whomever, he can quit the CFL and take it.

Hank01

Again to be fair the bonus is for the 2018 season if you have no intention of having the player at camp then you don't get the bonus and your free to look somewhere else it's essentially a bonus for  good job last year so you get a little something until camp begins . So if your not inviting him to camp then no bonus . Maybe the bonus should be automatic and the release has no bearing on it but that's not what the players signed . Maybe it needs to be paid out before Dec 31st with a cap hit in 2017 .

It only hurts when the play was good the year before but the CFL as a whole does nothing for retention of stars so it should be no surprise .

As a Redblack fan I saw our  MOP Ernest Jackson leave after not dropping a pass all year and actually catch the Grey Cup winning touchdown after 40 years and then poof he's gone . How does that sell tickets ? I know he played poorly in Montreal but I still wanted him here despite his drop off. He and the fans deserved for him to have played last season for the Redblacks .

You market Grey Cup success then the QB retires no fault of their own but then you lose Kanneh the guy who made the game saving TD tackle then lose the guy who caught the pass to win . How does this help market this league ?

pikk

Wilder is taking a big risk, no doubt. He’s giving up his predetermined paycheque right now, in hopes of getting a much bigger one next season, or if he’s released this season.

Let’s call him an ‘entrepreneur’. Heard that word somewhere, lol.

If Wilder doesn’t sign somewhere next season - he essentially could be broke from this decision he’s making now. He’s taking a very big risk. More than the Argos are.
It's 46,000 USD. I'm sure he could find work to replace Football for a year that would get him close to those dollars. I think it's a little premature to get him signed up for the food bank.
I am sure his ex NFL'er father would help him out.

Iconic SR

Interesting hypocrisy.  
Really? Seems to me I read complaints on here every time a veteran player gets released before such bonuses.

In fact, there are several posts in this thread complaining about teams being able to end agreements early.
I think the point being made is that this (teams releasing player prior to a bonus being due) happens all the time. This Wilder situation happens very rarely tho,  and some fans are really upset about him acting this way. When in fact, it’s all just part of the business and is even a contingency within the contract - is what we’re saying.

sth1988

Reading the statement from the Argos, doesn't sound like JW asked for more $$, but just his release.  I'm with the Argos on this one.  If JW wants to play football in 2018 then it's going to be with the Argos.  If he wants to play for 2, then I'm sure they can work something out for more money in both years, but if all he wants is his release, too bad.  JW certainly can go back to work wherever he was before with no problem, but there is no way the Argos should release him.  We are not a feeder league!

Mightygoose

Statement from the Argos

https://www.tsn.ca/argos-open-to-wilder-jr-returning-in-2018-1.978903
As per league rules, all players entering the CFL must sign a minimum two-year contract," the Argos said in a statement. "James Wilder Jr. is currently entering the second year of that entry contract.
"League rules also state that teams, whether in the CFL or NFL, are prohibited from contacting any player currently under contract. We certainly hope he changes his stance and would welcome his return."

Basically willing to let him sit and they'll move forward. So in 2019 he will be a free agent and if can't land with he NFL, which of the other 8 teams will touch this guy now when he's a year older?

And the XFL will still be a year away....

Iconic SR

Statement from the Argos

https://www.tsn.ca/argos-open-to-wilder-jr-returning-in-2018-1.978903
As per league rules, all players entering the CFL must sign a minimum two-year contract," the Argos said in a statement. "James Wilder Jr. is currently entering the second year of that entry contract.
"League rules also state that teams, whether in the CFL or NFL, are prohibited from contacting any player currently under contract. We certainly hope he changes his stance and would welcome his return."

Basically willing to let him sit and they'll move forward. So in 2019 he will be a free agent and if can't land with he NFL, which of the other 8 teams will touch this guy now when he's a year older?

And the XFL will still be a year away....
I can’t see any up side for the Argos to dig in on this. He clearly wants out. Let him go, and good luck. Forcing him on this is like forcing the marital contract. It ain’t gonna lead to anything good. 

DAN38

Why bother signing contracts at all then ? If this nancy gets his way, what's to stop all players from doing the same ? It's the league I'm worried about, not Wilder or any other player. They are not bigger than the league.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Iconic SR

Why bother signing contracts at all then ? If this nancy gets his way, what's to stop all players from doing the same ? It's the league I'm worried about, not Wilder or any other player. They are not bigger than the league.
I don’t believe this will become a widespread thing. It’s very unusual, but does speak to the concerns of many that the league minimal contract salary is too low. 

Aerial

I can’t see any up side for the Argos to dig in on this. He clearly wants out. Let him go, and good luck. Forcing him on this is like forcing the marital contract. It ain’t gonna lead to anything good.
Exactly Iconic.  Let the guy go absolutely.  All sorts of players that will be willing to come up to the True North and play in Toronto if they feel they can't get a true shot in the NFL after college and want to continue their football career.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Argofan_1000

I don’t believe this will become a widespread thing. It’s very unusual, but does speak to the concerns of many that the league minimal contract salary is too low.
I am quoting Grover "from memory" 1 or 2 years ago when he said the league wanted to raise the league minimum but the PA said no. Maybe Grover could expand on this.  The 2 sides were not together on this item for different reasons. I hope after next season the minimum moves to $75K. If 15 players are making minimum X $20K = $300,000. I don't think it is too out of line

Users Online

77 Guests, 6 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, oo DAWG oo, 6ft6ofgoodness, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 376. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)