everyman

I'm not sure it's fair to say he's not honoring his contract.

His contract will state he plays for x
If he chooses not to play then the contract will say he does not get paid

He's honoring his contract I would say.

DAN38

I don't get what you're saying. Do you think he signed a contract to NOT play ? He can't possibly be honouring his contract if he CHOOSES not to play. That is not why they signed him...I'm not wasting any more time on this Wilder POS. He should just go away. The Argos will still be there next year.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Iconic SR

And I think that you may not understand that there are people like myself that stand by their word.
  Wilder is a dime a dozen and even more so if he has no honour. Sad world you live in.
When we hear a player get released by a team  (in effect - they're terminating the contract) - the phrase 'this is a business' is used by the GM or coach. And we all nod our head in acknowledgement or acceptance - and hope it's a good decision and hope the player can catch on elsewhere etc.

Contracts are a part of conducting business. Wilder hasn't broken any laws nor has he violated any code of conduct. He's choosing to void or terminate his contract and pay the consequences. Freedom. It's a great thing. Otherwise we must exist in a dictator state or communism where we don't have rights or flexibilities like this. Is that what you're advocating? That the team can void or terminate a contract but the player cannot?
That my friend, would be a very, very sad world to live in.

It's like you're taking it personally that Wilder is exercising his legal rights. Yet you don't accuse the team of not being 'honourable' - if THEY release a player. Very odd. I'm don't believe you understand how contracts are designed to work.

Iconic SR

Exactly. 

depopulationINC

One of the things I'm curious about. Is why are NFL teams contacting players under CFL contract? Don't these two leagues honor each other's contracts?
I was wondering the same when I saw this on TSN.  I suppose that if enough attention is drawn to this that the NFL might investigate...but that seems unlikely.

Funny how 2 weeks ago he was going to set records and be the first 1000 / 1000 in CFL history....suddenly he gets a tap on the shoulder from down south and wants out.  I don't fault him for wanting to go to the NFL, but it seemed he was prepared to play pretty recently.  Hard to have any sympathy here as he appears to be trying to play PR games by taking it all public and force the Argos into something based on public image....I think this may backfire for him.

Iconic SR

Wilder is taking a big risk, no doubt. He’s giving up his predetermined paycheque right now, in hopes of getting a much bigger one next season, or if he’s released this season.

Let’s call him an ‘entrepreneur’. Heard that word somewhere, lol.

If Wilder doesn’t sign somewhere next season - he essentially could be broke from this decision he’s making now. He’s taking a very big risk. More than the Argos are.

depopulationINC

Is it right that management is not bound to a contract but a player is ?
in the world of sports, it is totally right

The union allowed the workout window to be removed
The union has not forced some sort of closed contract...and will not chase it at this time because it would mean active player salaries would actually be lower....

I would say it is the union's fault the contracts are one sided, not management's

Taleback

Wilder is taking a big risk, no doubt. He’s giving up his predetermined paycheque right now, in hopes of getting a much bigger one next season, or if he’s released this season.

If Wilder doesn’t sign somewhere next season - he essentially could be broke from this decision he’s making now. He’s taking a very big risk. More than the Argos are.
It's 46,000 USD. I'm sure he could find work to replace Football for a year that would get him close to those dollars. I think it's a little premature to get him signed up for the food bank.

Hank01

I don't get what you're saying. Do you think he signed a contract to NOT play ? He can't possibly be honouring his contract if he CHOOSES not to play. That is not why they signed him...I'm not wasting any more time on this Wilder POS. He should just go away. The Argos will still be there next year.
 What I don't get is Wilder doubted his abilities when he signed the contract . Now that the Argos are putting a game plan to utilize his strengths he is all hot and bothered about getting injured . The money was always just compensation but when he actually has to take to the field after September's breakout  it's too little money but sitting on the side lines and watching it's great money. I think somebody is giving him poor advice .

If he has NFL tastes then prove it on the field like he said he was going to do two weeks earlier and dominate by setting the records he declared . Sitting out and not playing as you get older you lose that quick twitch strengths and coordination u need at this level .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

Iconic SR

It's 46,000 USD. I'm sure he could find work to replace Football for a year that would get him close to those dollars. I think it's a little premature to get him signed up for the food bank.
Surely you don’t think his college degree was actually ‘earned’ like an actual degree?
And that at 25 he can now derive a decent income from that degree?

Regardless, he’s not doing anything wrong or unethical or dishonourable by exercising the rights within his contract to NOT play and NOT get paid.  

The Argos best move here would be to release him, or renegotiate his deal to retain his services for 2018. If he’s a dime a dozen as some have suggested, then the Argos can easily replace him. 

idealsheldon

How about this scenario.

Wilder warns the Argos that working in construction in the off season is mangling his hands and it will make him prone to fumbling. The Argos don`t bite and still refuse to release him.

Wilder shows up to camp and in the 1st regular season game just happens to fumble his first 3 carries. Argos therefore forced to release him and he`s on to the NFL without losing a season.

Only negative might be how NFL teams would perceive all this.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

Iconic SR

How about this scenario.

Wilder warns the Argos that working in construction in the off season is mangling his hands and it will make him prone to fumbling. The Argos don`t bite and still refuse to release him.

Wilder shows up to camp and in the 1st regular season game just happens to fumble his first 3 carries. Argos therefore forced to release him and he`s on to the NFL without losing a season.

Or how about he just does what he’s doing? It’s covered within the terms of his contract, so he doesn’t have to fabricate or create an alternative scenario. It’s real.

He’s playing the smart cards right now. Even if Argos won’t release him, he still protects his body from injury so he’s pristine next year for an NFL contract.  

Grover

Wilder earned $54K +$23K GC bonus($77K) in the CFL for his 7 months last year. 
He finished in Nov. this year and can now work in his family business for 5 months until May. for maybe an additional $15K-$20K.
He easily made well over $90K last year between the 2 jobs. 
That adds up to on 2000hrs(50 - 40hr weeks) for $90K/yr = $45/hr

Coming back and having an outstanding season will do more for him than sitting it out and working a day job.
IMHO, He is making a terrible decision 

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Hank01

How about this scenario.

Or how about he just does what he’s doing? It’s covered within the terms of his contract, so he doesn’t have to fabricate or create an alternative scenario. It’s real.

He’s playing the smart cards right now. Even if Argos won’t release him, he still protects his body from injury so he’s pristine next year for an NFL contract.  
 But what has changed in his talents than before his first NFL stint . Is it the Argo game plan or is it the CFL ? His talents are the same as he left no ; or is the CFL a genie in a bottle validating players abilities to play pro ball.

So NFL teams were giving up on him years before ; but the first inclination in September of 2017 he might have something to offer worth a guaranteed contract in the NFL . Not sure about that . I think a full year would get you a few more insurances and getting injured is a risk whether he plays special teams or first string is the only way to get that golden ticket punched .

Corey Sheets ?  Maybe somebody should remind Wilder about how you can get injured anytime any place . Sheets was great here but an injury in Oakland and his career is over before he played one game for the Raiders and he still sits unemployed .

EastVanMark

And I think that you may not understand that there are people like myself that stand by their word.
  Wilder is a dime a dozen and even more so if he has no honour. Sad world you live in.
When we hear a player get released by a team  (in effect - they're terminating the contract) - the phrase 'this is a business' is used by the GM or coach. And we all nod our head in acknowledgement or acceptance - and hope it's a good decision and hope the player can catch on elsewhere etc.

Contracts are a part of conducting business. Wilder hasn't broken any laws nor has he violated any code of conduct. He's choosing to void or terminate his contract and pay the consequences. Freedom. It's a great thing. Otherwise we must exist in a dictator state or communism where we don't have rights or flexibilities like this. Is that what you're advocating? That the team can void or terminate a contract but the player cannot?
That my friend, would be a very, very sad world to live in.

It's like you're taking it personally that Wilder is exercising his legal rights. Yet you don't accuse the team of not being 'honourable' - if THEY release a player. Very odd. I'm don't believe you understand how contracts are designed to work.
Exactly. When a team releases a player before a big bonus is due, nobody on here complains, yet when a player wants to end the agreement early, he automatically becomes the worst person on planet earth. 

Interesting hypocrisy.  

Users Online

61 Guests, 0 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (12), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)