depopulationINC

I'm glad that Wilder signed. He's probably hoping the new CBA will allow NFL tryouts in their option year and that it's grand-fathered to existing contracts...allowing Wilder to leave for the NFL in 2019, while collecting a more respectable salary this season.

While CFL salaries are pretty modest it's been a successful business model, with about half the players in the league playing for under $60k, like Wilder and Jon Jennings in his breakout year. They could make the minimum salary $100k or $40k but there'll always be more players available than roster spots.

If the CFL had a $100k minimum salary, with star players making $350k and starting QB's $850k, that would require a salary cap of around $10M per team. That's about half of an average CFL team's gross revenues. Other league's pay their players half the revenue or more. Should the CFL be so different? Where would that money come from?
That is a bit of a loaded answer.  Sunk cost are sunk costs.  Things like stadium fees and general operation of things.  If you have a team doing 20mil in revenue that pays 6 mil to players (there are expenses beyond salary) that leaves 14 mil to cover everything else, and as we know that is probably breaking even at best.  now if that team all of the sudden makes 30mil in revenue with essentially the same sunk costs then it is a different story suddenly isn't it.  Are the players willing to eat some of the losses as a part of the profit sharing, because right now it is the potential reality of the league...most teams can't afford 40-50% unless revenue sharply increases.  It is not an apples to apples question.

Grover

At Drake Night at the Raptors game last night, Repping all TOR teams

"Good to see Wilder can now afford to buy gold chains and a designer watch. I was so worried about him because his last contract couldn’t feed his babies or provide shelter for them."

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/10/drake-night-brings-toronto-teams-together-including-grey-cup-champion-argos/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

drummer_god

If anything, this shows it was all a ploy to force the Argos into giving him a raise when he was already under contract for less. 

bobo82

If anything, this shows it was all a ploy to force the Argos into giving him a raise when he was already under contract for less.
If anything , this shows that Wilder is a lying piece of you know what . I guess he got the day off from his construction job so he could fly in gold necklaces , wrist watch in all to watch the Raptors game. Trust me this guy NEVER had any offers on the table from any NFL teams . If anybody thinks other wise I tell ya what , I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Maybe he can talk to his foreman down at the construction site and see if he'll hire Victor Butler as his replacement down there slugging bags of cement 6 days a week . I mean goodness knows he's looking for a job to make ends meet after squandering away 4 to 5 million dollars that he earned while playing in the NFL and then being FORCED to try to survive on the pittance that the Argos paid him last year when NO ONE ELSE wanted him . I'm sorry but both these guys make me sick.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

bobo82

Well that didn't take long, in fact it might be a record . Just remember fellow posters these two important letters P and C and also these additional 3 letters S , J and W .

read this post quick because it will self destruct and be gone forever in 3....2.....1......BOOOM !!!!!  :o ;D

FootbalYouBet

Well that didn't take long, in fact it might be a record . Just remember fellow posters these two important letters P and C and also these additional 3 letters S , J and W .

read this post quick because it will self destruct and be gone forever in 3....2.....1......BOOOM !!!!!  :o ;D
what didn't take long?
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

bobo82

read this post quick because it will self destruct and be gone forever in 3....2.....1......BOOOM !!!!!  :o ;D
what didn't take long?
LOL !!!! Don't worry about it FYB (you chocolate ice cream lover you ;D) because the post will be deleted anyway .  8)

FootbalYouBet

what didn't take long?
LOL !!!! Don't worry about it FYB (you chocolate ice cream lover you ;D) because the post will be deleted anyway .  8)
ah well, sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and move on.  It is not like that was your most important post ehh.

bobo82

what didn't take long?
LOL !!!! Don't worry about it FYB (you chocolate ice cream lover you ;D) because the post will be deleted anyway .  8)
ah well, sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and move on.  It is not like that was your most important post ehh.
You are absolutely right my friend . It was very , very far to even being close to being an important post. Let alone my most important one of all time . So shoulders shrugged indeed and believe me it's getting very close to moving on time as saying GOODBYE to this forum.....maybe not forever BUT maybe for a little while . I'm thinking that way anyways , will see how things work out .

sambo42

Seems like there will be a Toronto sweep this year in pro leagues... first the Argos & TFC... and the Raptors & Leafs have fairly good chances to win their respective titles... only leaves the Jays and Rock(NLL) to win... they are the longshots.

PTBO Dave

Seems like there will be a Toronto sweep this year in pro leagues... first the Argos & TFC... and the Raptors & Leafs have fairly good chances to win their respective titles... only leaves the Jays and Rock(NLL) to win... they are the longshots.
Even the new Wolfpack rugby team won their league championship.

CFL Pete

He's hardly irreplaceable.  Ricky Ray is the key to the Argos' fortunes, and Marc Trestman is in the right place at the right time....that's what he does.

The Argonauts are going to be tough to beat in 2018, a better team than last year. 

Anthony Coombs is outstanding. 

Who's going to beat Toronto?

Users Online

68 Guests, 5 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Hamilton2005, Corey.the.tiger, blackandgld, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)