depopulationINC

What energy are the Argos expending? They made a statement on Wilder, they're open for him to come back or they can move on.

Wilder is the one who spending time in the media rounds and now trying to play nice.

He's free to work another job, even another sport. It's only the NFL he can't play in as they honour each other's contracts. Doesn't sound like a hostage situation to me.
lol, pretty much.

Funny that the NFL seems to think that the contract is valid.  Honestly, if someone from the NFL really cared, they would pick up the phone and ask for a favor. 

ExPat

So tell me then, what exactly do the Argos accomplish with a suspension or holding Wilder hostage?

Not setting a precedent? That’s it? This isn’t the criminal courts, this is simple contract law. What I’m saying is the Argos are expending time and energy and $ - for nothing. This case will not eliminate anything in the future UNLESS Canada adopts the legal position that verbal contracts don’t count. Ever.

Is that the country you really wanna live in?
Same reasons every businesses enforces its contracts. The CFL will even prevent fan sites from using their logo without their permission. Creates precedents.
So hard for a simple guy like me to figure this out.  On the one hand, HfxTC seems to be arguing that businesses need to enforce their contracts so that the people they deal with will respect their contracts in the future.

But then you've got Iconic SR arguing that somehow this is not the case, that a business enforcing its own contracts serves absolutely no purpose, and that people should be able to break contracts whenever they feel like without consequence.

I'm really torn here.

depopulationINC

So tell me then, what exactly do the Argos accomplish with a suspension or holding Wilder hostage?

Not setting a precedent? That’s it? This isn’t the criminal courts, this is simple contract law. What I’m saying is the Argos are expending time and energy and $ - for nothing. This case will not eliminate anything in the future UNLESS Canada adopts the legal position that verbal contracts don’t count. Ever.

Is that the country you really wanna live in?
Same reasons every businesses enforces its contracts. The CFL will even prevent fan sites from using their logo without their permission. Creates precedents.
So hard for a simple guy like me to figure this out.  On the one hand, HfxTC seems to be arguing that businesses need to enforce their contracts so that the people they deal with will respect their contracts in the future.

But then you've got Iconic SR arguing that somehow this is not the case, that a business enforcing its own contracts serves absolutely no purpose, and that people should be able to break contracts whenever they feel like without consequence.

I'm really torn here.
I see what you did there :o

Iconic SR

What energy are the Argos expending? They made a statement on Wilder, they're open for him to come back or they can move on.

Wilder is the one who spending time in the media rounds and now trying to play nice.

He's free to work another job, even another sport. It's only the NFL he can't play in as they honour each other's contracts. Doesn't sound like a hostage situation to me.
Yesterday they were defending themselves in the media and addressing accusations that they lied etc. That crap is draining, takes energy and effort etc. It hangs like a cloud over the organization. 

Mightygoose

Yesterday they were defending themselves in the media and addressing accusations that they lied etc. That crap is draining, takes energy and effort etc. It hangs like a cloud over the organization.
Are you referring to the Popp interview on 590? He was invited to come on and was asked questions regarding the issue.

Very different from Wilder and Butter sounding off in the media on their own initiative.

Iconic SR

Are you referring to the Popp interview on 590? He was invited to come on and was asked questions regarding the issue.

Very different from Wilder and Butter sounding off in the media on their own initiative.
What I’m saying is this stuff always boils down in the media to he said/she said and it never gets clearer, it only gets muddier. And people take sides. My suggestion is to get out of the mud and move on. The Argos have an opportunity to focus on the 2017 GC championship and sell some tickets and build their brand. This hinders that.

Mightygoose

I disagree.

The Argos are moving on. If the media wants to ask questions then they should. The team would be worse off by shunning them, especially if they're trying to rebuild their presence.

Simply releasing him will encourage more players mid-contract to do the same thing. Not just for the Argos but the rest of the league as well. That would hinder ticket and sponsor sales more.

sth1988

Jim Barker said there was no side deal.  Popp said there was no side deal.  My guess is that the agents told these players it was common practice.  Honour your contract and see what happens in 2019.  You're not entitled to anything!

Iconic SR

I disagree.

The Argos are moving on. If the media wants to ask questions then they should. The team would be worse off by shunning them, especially if they're trying to rebuild their presence.

Simply releasing him will encourage more players mid-contract to do the same thing. Not just for the Argos but the rest of the league as well. That would hinder ticket and sponsor sales more.
The Argos have a position tied up and an import ratio affected spot that they now cannot do anything about due to this stalemate - that isn’t moving on. That looks like ‘stuck in the mud’ to me. Moving on is release them or renegotiate salary and continue build your team. We always hear how ratio is so important, yet now some are saying this stalemate is nothing? 

Mightygoose

I disagree.

The Argos have a position tied up and an import ratio affected spot that they now cannot do anything about due to this stalemate - that isn’t moving on. That looks like ‘stuck in the mud’ to me. Moving on is release them or renegotiate salary and continue build your team. We always hear how ratio is so important, yet now some are saying this stalemate is nothing?
An international RB/All purpose yards player? Not that difficult to replace. His roster spot wouldn't be protected if he's suspended. 

Ratio remains unchanged.

ExPat

Please explain how they are "tying up" a position with a suspended player.  Will they have to reduce their training camp roster?  Will they have to allocate a spot on the active roster to Wilder all year long?  Will they have to field an 11-man offence?  Are they somehow prevented from recruiting his replacement?

I'm thinking you might be able to make a stronger case if you didn't post so many fictional claims.

Iconic SR

I disagree.

An international RB/All purpose yards player? Not that difficult to replace. His roster spot wouldn't be protected if he's suspended.

Ratio remains unchanged.
If he’s easy to replace then why hang onto him like a drowning man with a life preserver? Let him go and fill the spot with someone better. Everyone wins.

Mightygoose

I disagree.

Ratio remains unchanged.
If he’s easy to replace then why hang onto him like a drowning man with a life preserver? Let him go and fill the spot with someone better. Everyone wins.
Please see reply earlier in this thread - 11:02 am EST for the answer to that question.

Iconic SR

I disagree.

Ratio remains unchanged.
Please see reply earlier in this thread - 11:02 am EST for the answer to that question.
Most teams currently allow any player to pursue an NFL opportunity if it presents itself. Usually leads to that same player returning to the team if it doesn’t work out. 

pw13

How is that an opportunity presents itself, given that the agreement between the leagues is to honour each other's contracts? An NFL team talking to a CFL player under contract is tampering.

Users Online

115 Guests, 19 Users (23 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Oskie18, FootbalYouBet, ArgoT, KennyPowers, Mikefrmthhammer, Caretaker, Grover, KevinRiley2, Bigshot, ExPat, EastVanMark, Count Floyd, 2ez, MadJack, TeddyFay, Google (AdSense) (14), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)