idealsheldon

HfxTC

One of the things I'm curious about. Is why are NFL teams contacting players under CFL contract? Don't these two leagues honor each other's contracts?
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

FootbalYouBet

One of the things I'm curious about. Is why are NFL teams contacting players under CFL contract? Don't these two leagues honor each other's contracts?
that's why he need the Argos permission which they are apparently denying
The worst thing about being on the west coast is that when I want to post at night, everyone else is asleep or passed out

ExPat

I recall hearing about the Argos giving such permission a few times in the past, but that was under the old regime.  I have no idea what Popp's past history is in this regard.  But if he wants his team's contracts to be worth the paper they're printed on, he has every right to expect players to honour them.

Also - I'd have to think Brandon Whitaker's prospects just improved significantly.

Hank01

I understand his reasoning but why did he sign the contract . If he was worth more then sign a contract with a raise based on performance for year 2 .

The 45,000 US is a low salary I totally agree with him but then why sign it .

Was he thinking he would stink last year and found out he's not as bad as he thinks ? 

Not sure sitting out a season works as he can get injured at a NFL camp or try out as well . Playing next season maybe a better way to get the golden up front money to protect him in his NFL quest . 

The fractured season last year is no reason for a NFL prospective to give him anything guaranteed . There are many one hit wonders out there floating around especially RB's .

Football is such a short career and the CFL is not for people wanting to retire after a career and sit on your salary like other pro leagues . He just hurt his own prospects 
by acknowledging he is not in the league with the correct mind set . You have to have the frame of mind your career can be over in a flash and you need to settle your mind on that fact  to survive .
MY NEW HERO JORDAN PETERSON FOR PRIME MINISTER

HfxTC

I recall hearing about the Argos giving such permission a few times in the past, but that was under the old regime.  I have no idea what Popp's past history is in this regard.  But if he wants his team's contracts to be worth the paper they're printed on, he has every right to expect players to honour them.

Also - I'd have to think Brandon Whitaker's prospects just improved significantly.
Well the last known case with Popp was Duron Carter. Popp made him play out his second year.

HfxTC

I understand his reasoning but why did he sign the contract . If he was worth more then sign a contract with a raise based on performance for year 2 .

The 45,000 US is a low salary I totally agree with him but then why sign it .

Was he thinking he would stink last year and found out he's not as bad as he thinks ?

Not sure sitting out a season works as he can get injured at a NFL camp or try out as well . Playing next season maybe a better way to get the golden up front money to protect him in his NFL quest .

The fractured season last year is no reason for a NFL prospective to give him anything guaranteed . There are many one hit wonders out there floating around especially RB's .

Football is such a short career and the CFL is not for people wanting to retire after a career and sit on your salary like other pro leagues . He just hurt his own prospects
by acknowledging he is not in the league with the correct mind set . You have to have the frame of mind your career can be over in a flash and you need to settle your mind on that fact  to survive .
Well if he's generated genuine interest, he probably has. He's weighing the risk of playing another year and the slightest injury killing any chance he has. Sitting out is the intelligent thing if he has serious NFL interest and not a  PR spot with no bonus.

Hank01

Not sure about that many people suffer from anxiety and he is showing the risk reward is too much for him . NFL scouts sniff around constantly and the risk is overwhelming with the money you could be losing out to is always in the back of pro athletes minds .

He didn't look good until last September . Four games with over 100 yards rushing is not going to get you anything and it was the Argos getting him more involved with receiving at the same time that showed he had something to offer . The game plan was working . His size was an asset . 

Don't blame him asking for a raise but how the heck does he go from guaranteeing breaking records and then asking for a release to pursue NFL offers .

Maybe show what you can do a full season of active participation and then get that golden ticket . If you get injured that's the risk of your profession which is geared heavily to potential injury whatever football league you play in .

tabbyfan

He may want to Chris Williams...Mr. Superstar who was going to make it huge in the NFL...er practice roster that is.  How many times has CW been traded now?  There are better than JW in the NFL and I hardly watch that league.

BYE BYE! :o

HfxTC

Not sure about that many people suffer from anxiety and he is showing the risk reward is too much for him . NFL scouts sniff around constantly and the risk is overwhelming with the money you could be losing out to is always in the back of pro athletes minds .

He didn't look good until last September . Four games with over 100 yards rushing is not going to get you anything and it was the Argos getting him more involved with receiving at the same time that showed he had something to offer . The game plan
was working . His size was an asset .

Don't blame him asking for a raise but how the heck does he go from guaranteeing breaking records and then asking for a release to pursue NFL offers .

Maybe show what you can do a full season of active participation and then get that golden ticket . If you get injured that's the risk of your profession which is geared heavily to potential injury whatever football league you play in .

The knock on him was that he could not catch a cold. He showed with the Argos he improved that weakness in his game.

Grover

He wasn't the even the feature back until week 13, he had a good 2nd half of the season thats it.
Popp will not cave in to this, it sets a terrible precedent.
It is the League that mandates that every first contract is a 1 year contract followed by a 2nd year at the clubs option(1+1). Popp could release him but IMHO he won't.

He has also seemingly left out the fact he received $16K for his Grey Cup Cheque

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

brianjoxx

Nice good plan! works most every-time.

RichardVeilleux

James Wilder did receive/ was due $23,000, as winner of Grey Cup.

Richard

Iconic SR

Hopefully his plan works out for him. He's getting paid peanuts if that's truly his salary.

RichardVeilleux

Was told,mainly by members of the media, how good he was and it makes sense  that he wants to be paid accordingly. Some members of the media have already designated him as the 2018 most outstanding/ most valuable player.  Reminds me of June Jones saying that Johnny Manziel will be the best CFL QB, even before he played a game. He too wants to be paid accordingly. They must be saying: Show us the money.

Richard

Users Online

74 Guests, 14 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Palmer, Hamilton2005, bobo82, Cool, everyman, Chris_87, shadowski, Ramrod, toddstattoo, raymarkca, Sidney, SteelCitySteve, Google (3), Baidu (2), Alexa

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)