CatsFaninOttawa

After scrimmaging from the 35 yd line the offensive team fumbles on the oppositions 30 yard line and a a O-lineman picks up the ball. With no time on the clock he makes space for himself at the 8 yard line to try a field goal. He's successful! 3 point is scored.
Drop kick maybe....But Im sure someone would tackle him while he was placing the ball on the tee
And where would he get the tee in the first place? Have someone on the sidelines throw it to him after he picks up the fumble? Don't think that's allowed.

(I'm thinking drop kick was understood.)

ro1313

I agree...I just could not resist

ro1313

But as long as we are talking rules

For a safety

I tackle your QB in your endzone I score a safety....2 points

I now have 3 options
1) You kickoff from your 25
2) I scrimmage from my 35
3) I kickoff to you from my 35

Why would I every want to kickoff to you?

mysecondname

After scrimmaging from the 35 yd line the offensive team fumbles on the oppositions 30 yard line and a a O-lineman picks up the ball. With no time on the clock he makes space for himself at the 8 yard line to try a field goal. He's successful! 3 point is scored.
Drop kick maybe....But Im sure someone would tackle him while he was placing the ball on the tee
lol, of course a drop kick. A drop kick is the only permissible way to attempt an open field field goal. The use of a T is not permitted in this case.
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

CatsFaninOttawa

ro1313

lol, of course a drop kick. A drop kick is the only permissible way to attempt an open field field goal. The use of a T is not permitted in this case.
Well you did day field goal ;)

CatsFaninOttawa

For a safety

I now have 3 options
3) I kickoff to you from my 35

Very little time left, our defence is playing well, and our #1 and #2 QB and our starting centre are all injured?

We're down by less than a TD, but there isn't enough time to drive all the way down field after taking time off the clock returning the kickoff. So attempt a short kickoff, which takes only a second or two off the clock, with the hope of being able to score from midfield.

CatsFaninOttawa

Actually...

"A field goal is scored by a drop kick or place kick ...."

ro1313

For a safety

I now have 3 options

We're down by less than a TD, but there isn't enough time to drive all the way down field after taking time off the clock returning the kickoff. So attempt a short kickoff, which takes only a second or two off the clock, with the hope of being able to score from midfield.
Possible
But lots of risk for little gain

Guaranteed scrimmage at your 35
If they kick you have excellent odds of scrimmaging at your 45  Unless they have a good wind
Maybe 1 in 10 chance of recovering an onside kick at their 45

ro1313

Actually...

"A field goal is scored by a drop kick or place kick ...."
That is true

CatsFaninOttawa

For a safety

I now have 3 options

Possible
But lots of risk for little gain

Guaranteed scrimmage at your 35
If they kick you have excellent odds of scrimmaging at your 45  Unless they have a good wind
Maybe 1 in 10 chance of recovering an onside kick at their 45
Three seconds left in the game. Still think it's worth receiving the kickoff? Would there be any time left on the clock after the run back to the 35? An onside kickoff would only take a second, maybe two, as the clock starts only when it's first touched after a kickoff.

ro1313

Would there be any time left on the clock after the run back to the 35? An onside kickoff would only take a second, maybe two, as the clock starts only when it's first touched after a kickoff.
I don't follow.   After the runback to the 35?

You can choose to scrimmage on your 35...no runback required. 0 time off the clock
Or you can hope for a successful onside kick and scrimmage at your own 45ish

CatsFaninOttawa

Would there be any time left on the clock after the run back to the 35? An onside kickoff would only take a second, maybe two, as the clock starts only when it's first touched after a kickoff.
I don't follow.   After the runback to the 35?

You can choose to scrimmage on your 35...no runback required. 0 time off the clock
Sorry, I missed the whole scrimmage from own 35, which as you say would be a much better idea. Doh!

So the only reason I could see for the scoring team to take the option of kicking off would be the hope of pinning the other team deep in their own end again, or perhaps scoring a rouge on the kickoff by having it stick in the end zone and preventing the other team from bringing it back out. Both are pretty low percentage plays, unless there's a strong wind and a lofted kickoff gets carried deep, allowing coverage to get downfield quickly.

Maybe if there were a couple of major penalties on the scoring play that moved the kickoff 30 yards? A major against the team scored on, and the options are they kick off from just outside their own 12, you scrimmage on your 50, or you kick off from your 50. Again, taking the ball at the 50 sounds like the best option, as a Hail Mary probably still has better odds than the onside kick or attempt at a rouge on the kickoff.

An interesting option, though. (And I think this was discussed before on the old "Xs and Os" forum. Not sure if those threads got moved over here or not.)

ro1313

I don't follow.   After the runback to the 35?

Sorry, I missed the whole scrimmage from own 35, which as you say would be a much better idea. Doh!

So the only reason I could see for the scoring team to take the option of kicking off would be the hope of pinning the other team deep in their own end again, or perhaps scoring a rouge on the kickoff by having it stick in the end zone and preventing the other team from bringing it back out. Both are pretty low percentage plays, unless there's a strong wind and a lofted kickoff gets carried deep, allowing coverage to get downfield quickly.

Maybe if there were a couple of major penalties on the scoring play that moved the kickoff 30 yards? A major against the team scored on, and the options are they kick off from just outside their own 12, you scrimmage on your 50, or you kick off from your 50. Again, taking the ball at the 50 sounds like the best option, as a Hail Mary probably still has better odds than the onside kick or attempt at a rouge on the kickoff.

An interesting option, though. (And I think this was discussed before on the old "Xs and Os" forum. Not sure if those threads got moved over here or not.)
There does not seem to be a cut and dry reason to kick off
Maybe in the past there was something in the rules that made it a good option but those rules were changed but the safety was not

CatsFaninOttawa

There does not seem to be a cut and dry reason to kick off
Maybe in the past there was something in the rules that made it a good option but those rules were changed but the safety was not
Something just came to me, and I think you've nailed it here - sort of. Years ago, probably in the 60s, I seem to remember a team killed the clock by taking multiple safeties, running back to their end zone from mid field, and then getting the ball again afterwards. Rinse and repeat. I think they introduced the kickoff after a safety the next season. Perhaps they left the old option in just in case someone wanted to use it?

Also, it looks like the same options apply after a field goal, although there, both kickoffs are from the 35, and the option isn't available in the final three minutes (recent change).

Users Online

94 Guests, 17 Users (13 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DisplacedCatsFan, Mightygoose, cahoonrules86, Taleback, raymarkca, dcmoses, Stampeder67, Iconic SR, Onemoredork, Iconic SR, bobo82, ed ohmnes, -Hammer-, toddstattoo, Chris_87, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)