depopulationINC

Canadian border security called in the cops to lay the charges. Does this not mean he is guilty of smuggling a banned substance into the country? If so, pot possession is the least of his worries. He should be facing a major criminal charge and then the consequences aren't pretty.
Was it an international flight?

depopulationINC

Not a problem - Carter's pops and Rider mgmt. will hire a top flite lawyer and get the thing erased. Deputy prosecutor will be wined & dined with Chris Jones, Cris Carter & maybe a guest NFL player Who could resist that - let alone a mope deputy attorney in Regina!
You understand Saskatoon and Regina are not the same place right?

depopulationINC

However facts may come forward that help Carter. Cheers

The dude could clearly get a green card for ADHD or such

Medicine man....medicine :D

Johnny Ticat slayer

Geez. You have to be a moron to bring marijuana into an airport! It is the most likely place to get caught.  ::)
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

BCRiderFan

What a non story. I may head down to my local store to buy some weed tomorrow. Which store to go to, tough decision.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

depopulationINC

What a non story. I may head down to my local store to buy some weed tomorrow. Which store to go to, tough decision.
I wouldn't call it a non story. 

Being caught for possession...non-story at this point in Canada and the CFL

Being caught with it in an airport....yeah...lil different.  If this involved an international flight it is a big deal. 

Fact is it is still illegal.  Is a judge going to throw the book at you?  No.  Does that change if you are transporting it internationally?  Um...I would think so. 

Xvys

I'll bet the judge throws this out of court admonishing the Crown prosecutor for proceeding with the case, wasting valuable court time on a pot possession charge...especially for a product which will be legalized within a few months.

Abendschan

Revolution in their minds - the children start to march "Children of the Grave". Black Sabbath

RedandWhite

...appear before a judge, yeah, no biggie...and here I am not appearing before a judge, guess DC and I are pretty equal it would seem...nothing to see here, move along...on the plus side I’m glad to see where the CFL forum bar is set on what constitutes criminal activity, should be an easy ride for other, non-Carter, players to get an easy out for their transgressions...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

bohdon

I would have to think that it is better that he got caught now as opposed to getting caught after they legalize it. The penalties are day and night difference, with the new laws everything starts at 14 years of jail time.

Personally I'm thinking we're gonna need a lot more jail cells in this country... in a hurry.

It may be a minor issue in our views, I doubt the courts see it that way. reefer madness is still alive and doing very well.

BCRiderFan

I would have to think that it is better that he got caught now as opposed to getting caught after they legalize it. The penalties are day and night difference, with the new laws everything starts at 14 years of jail time.

Personally I'm thinking we're gonna need a lot more jail cells in this country... in a hurry.

It may be a minor issue in our views, I doubt the courts see it that way. reefer madness is still alive and doing very well.
Um, what? Nobody will be going to jail for having weed for five minutes, let alone 14 years. What are you smoking?

depopulationINC

LOL  what?  I think you got some bad intel....pot is a schedule 2 drug. 

Schedule 1 drug minimum sentences are 1, 2 and 3 years depending on exactly the situation and amount. 

The MAXIMUM sentence is 14 years....and that applies to illegal production and trafficking essentially by the truckload (more than 200 plants will be minimum 1 year, max 14, more than 500 plants will be 2 and 14)

"trafficking" requires possession of >3kg to be eligible for jail time.

FYI...even importing/exporting jail time requires it to be with intent to traffic (so will need to be >3Kg)

None of that is going to dramatically change.  Sure as F not in 4 months!  Really what is going to change is that having pot on you in public will be treated like open liquor is  now

sambo42

If I remember correct, didn't Hector Pothier get arrested for possession? He was still a Olineman for the Eskimos at the time, but it didn't derail his career. So why should a higher standard be held for Carter? Because he is a Rider? ::)

depopulationINC

I'll bet the judge throws this out of court admonishing the Crown prosecutor for proceeding with the case, wasting valuable court time on a pot possession charge...especially for a product which will be legalized within a few months.
I have heard that many judges are being hard on it for 2 reasons...
- it is the desire for provinces to put shops out of business before the legal ones open (cash in their pockets)
- they are sick of "it's only pot and will be legal soon."  It is still illegal and they are sick of the rational

depopulationINC

If I remember correct, didn't Hector Pothier get arrested for possession? He was still a Olineman for the Eskimos at the time, but it didn't derail his career. So why should a higher standard be held for Carter? Because he is a Rider? ::)
I think it will all come down to what the court throws at him.  If it remains simple possession it is nothing.  If he was bringing it on a plane and they end up hitting him with more or call him a repeat offender (he is not Canadian remember) it could be an issue.

Users Online

66 Guests, 4 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
jim43bob, Sidney, Google (6), Baidu

Most Online Today: 104. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)