Lyle B. Style

This is amazingly hard to believe but Mike O'Shea - he of the sideline Bermuda shorts, pre-game smelling salts and super-stoic demeanour is now the CFL's longest-serving head coach.

O'Shea came up the same year as Rick "Porky" Campbell so technically they're tied.

Obviously Wally Buono & Marc Trestman have far longer CFL head coaching resumes than O'Shea but Trestman is only in his 1st year with his new team, Toronto.

Buono had to come to the rescue of that clown he hired a couple years ago.

Of the two long-serving guys - O'Shea & Campbell - - - I don't see either of them going anywhere soon!

Wad Miller has to be tickled pink by the results O'Shea & Walters have brought to Winnipeg - plus great crowds as of recent success!

Campbell won a Grey Cup in his 2nd year as a CFL head coach, albeit with barely a .500 record, now he's submerged under .500.

The next longest serving guy I can see is CJ Jones in Sask'n - he should be good for a minimum of another 2 years, maybe more.

Dickenson is also up there with job security. He'll only leave when he wants to - or somehow he can finagle an NFL offer - like his predecessor and current boss John Hufnagel did.

Everything else is pretty fluid - Maas, Old Wally, GI Jones, Kavis, Trestman.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

ro1313

Campbell won a Grey Cup in his 2nd year as a CFL head coach, albeit with barely a .500 record, now he's submerged under .500.

3rd!

He went to the cup in his 2nd but won it in his third

Aerial

If the Cats had of invested in Greg Marshall, the Western Greg that is, the Cats would be a better team and org now than they are.  Give me Greg Marshall over June Jones or Austin.  

Good on the Peggers!  They gave O'Shea a chance, the Cats are just out for some quick win with whomever and then dump them.  I don't get Hamilton really at all despite me living here and cheering them on because I live here.  Too much weird stuff going on here.  Weird.

Let me repeat, Hamilton, learn from how Winnipeg invested in O'Shea and gave him confidence.  I doubt Scott Mitchell even gets that.

I'm close to being done with anything TiCats to be honest albeit I do love the Cats org.  Love you Bob Young, but you need to dump and Mitchell is what I'd dump asap.  Gonzo.  Mitchell gives me the willies.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Gornaldatron

Continuity is key. O'Shea was 7-11 in his first year and 5-13 in his second. He turned it around in his third year and now they're rock solid and one of the best teams in the league. 

Contrast that with Montreal who hasn't had a coach last two full seasons and one can only imagine where that franchise is going to end up. They gotta let coaches work through problems and tough seasons.

Lyle B. Style

Bombers still have some real weaknesses which will probably prevent them from winning the west - and even attempting a Cup return!

But Mike O'Shea is no longer one of them . . . .

He may be slightly eccentric and somewhat quirky but he's assembled a decent program in a town demanding same!

Bomber mgmt. knew they couldn't keep the revolving door revolving with respect to GM, Head coach, starting QB. Even if O'Shea was 8=10 last year and missed the playoffs they like his stalwart and sometimes plodding approach - particularly his excellent way with rallying players (not always the best ones btw) behind him.

Enforced loyalty is the new buzzword in Winnipeg. Miller, O'Shea & Walters have been granted immunity from firing (other than Pedd State or somesuch)

Biggest problem in Winnipeg is the loyalty program extends to:

A. Relatively lost coordinators like Richie Hall
B. Poor Canadian draft scouting and even worse selections
C. Inability to find monster d-linemen who can disrupt competitors offense

If Winnipeg could ever get their drafting right in the next year or two - and find a better option to run their defense (Hello, Nolan Thorpe) they could be the primary challengers to Calgary for national championships next few years.

StampsRock!

I can't disagree with Lyle (though most other times I do). ;)
He is spot on.  I think Winnipeg will continue to be contenders and hopefully will get a GC win in the future. I do like the Bombers as a team and they have the longest GC win drought.  Hopefully one of these years they can rectify that for the great fans in Winnipeg.
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!

papazoola

......Mike O had a rough start....There were a lot of fans unsure of his coaching at the beginning of his tenure...myself included....I agree with Lyle there's still weaknesses but the team is working on fixing those and once they do this club is going to be a serious contender for quite awhile...We're closing in on Cal. but not there yet...A lot of credit has to go to Kyle Walters....He's made some great moves and keeps enhancing the roster with good decisions..The locker room is one happy place and the players are like family...(had a picture the other day of Nichols taking the team out to dinner and he footed the bill....might have been at Buck's restaurant where Pierce gave him a break??) In any case this team is no longer a free spot on the card and they're going to be tough to play against for a very long time..
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Aerial

Tell me a team like the Cats wouldn't like O'Shea right now rather than digging deep in the American south to find a head coach to replace the inept Austin.  I guess.

Lyle B. Style

......Mike O had a rough start....There were a lot of fans unsure of his coaching at the beginning of his tenure...myself included....I agree with Lyle there's still weaknesses but the team is working on fixing those and once they do this club is going to be a serious contender for quite awhile...We're closing in on Cal. but not there yet...A lot of credit has to go to Kyle Walters....He's made some great moves and keeps enhancing the roster with good decisions..The locker room is one happy place and the players are like family...(had a picture the other day of Nichols taking the team out to dinner and he footed the bill....might have been at Buck's restaurant where Pierce gave him a break??) In any case this team is no longer a free spot on the card and they're going to be tough to play against for a very long time..
Buck's restaurant - aka Danny's Whole Hog BBQ is no longer in existence. Closed about 2 years ago - I suspect Buck was letting too many stomachs in to free load and Danny decided he couldn't underwrite that kind of free-bee operation.

I suspect Nichols had to take the team to a legit restaurant, perhaps negotiating a 10 to 20% discount for volume - and if it was for the entire team including coaches, management and practice roster players - that's about 75 guys - at $80 a man (including a couple beers for each guy) that's about $6,000 + tips. Nichols makes $440k - I think he can afford it.

Aerial

Probably with some sort of kickback from Belairdirect to make everyone happy.  :P

Users Online

105 Guests, 16 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
heapbag, Iconic SR, porter24, Mightygoose, Lennywasout, oo DAWG oo, alphamale111, Onemoredork, thirdnlong, VICIOUSCIRCLE, djrobertson2017, Lucas Bellemare, Count Floyd, Gerbear20, Yahoo!, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)