everyman

Well whatever it is DD has completely killed any chances of a future job in coaching in the CFL. Not that he has ever shown any talent or ability to do so.

nythril

Disagree re coaching - if that was true every team cutting players hours before their bonuses would be blacklisted by free agents and that hasn't happened

I disagree with both sides of this equation - players or teams doing it. But the rules are the rules and we can't say one has a higher responsibility than the other.

The same rule that permitted Darian to be shafted on his bonus permits him to accept a signing bonus and retire.

This does point to the obvious - this needs to end for both parties and hopefully we will see it in the next contract. 

Darian was a warrior but you could see it over the past 3 seasons that the heart and will was there ( maybe not so in Montreal ) - but the body couldn't match that spirit. I wish Darian well in his retirement and will always remember him for the time in Green.

That and I can dig out my Darian Jersey to wear again! lol

Does this also mean that Darian would have to wait till next year to sign and retire as a Rider?

PTBO Dave

Here is the thing with SIGNING bonus. They gave him the money to sign the piece of paper, not to dress for 18 games or 1 game. The money is his. He signed the piece of paper that said if he played football in 2018 it would be for the Bombers. BOOM!

It was bad risk management by Walters. For a number of reasons. If Durant had hurt himself that 70k was spoken for. You don't give a 70k bonus to an injury riddled backup at the end of his rope!

This is all on Walters.

To claim well he should do "the right thing" and give it back is really funny.
BS.  This is 100% false.  

They are not signing an autograph.  They are signing to conditions.  They are signing saying "yeah, I am going to play for you and a motivation in doing so is you showing faith / seriousness in me by giving me some of that cash now...I will not be camp fodder."  I can assure you there is no "if" written on that piece of paper in regards to this.

This verbiage is in the standard contract, and is in every CFL player's contract.

1.   The term of this Contract shall be from the date of execution hereof until the 15thday of February following
the close of the football season commencing in 20____, subject however to the right of prior termination as specified herein.

2.   The Player agrees that during the term of this Contract he will play football and will engage in activities related to football only for the Club and will play for the Club in two Pre-Season games, and eighteen (18) regular season games and Canadian Football League playoff games and any other game approved by the Canadian Football League Players’ Association; and the Club, subject to the provisions hereof, agrees during such period to employ the Player as a skilled football Player. The Player agrees during the term of this Contract to report promptly for the Club’s training sessions and at the Club’s directions to participate in all practice sessions.

No it does not mean he "has" to play...obviously one can not be forced to.  It is however black and white that what is being signed is for the given season and thus the pay is.  If what you are saying held any water then a retiring player should get the entire value of that contract...cuz they signed it.  The contract is saying that the player intends to play.  

Recent examples....Price did the same thing and it was a slimy move.  MOB backed out as well...difference is he offered the money back because it was a legit change of heart.  

Everyone knows there are risks with signing bonuses and roster bonuses...no question.  DD's is looking more and more like he never intended to honor that contract though...and that is shady.  
There is another relevant part of the standard contract:

23. Should the Player become a member of the Armed Forces of either Canada or the United States of America, and be unable to perform the services as agreed herein, or should the Player retire from football, prior to the expiration of the term of this Contract, in either case, the Player shall be ineligible to play football for any other person, firm, club or corporation until the expiration date of this Contract or the termination of this Contract by the Club, whichever first occurs.

If Durant was open with the Bombers that he was contemplating retirement, which seems to be the case, then they knew offering a signing bonus was a gamble.

And even if they didn't know before signing him that retirement was on his mind, the possibility of retirement is written into the standard contract, so again unless they specifically made provisions in the contract to recoup that bonus upon retirement, then the financial loss is on them.

Of course, if Durant signed just in order to get the bonus, that's pretty dishonest even if it follows the letter of the contract.

But if he was legitimately undecided and the Bombers offered the signing bonus to keep his potential playing rights (since retirement is always a possibility) from other clubs, then so be it.
That excerpt says nothing but they can't play elsewhere.  

Like i said...Everyone knows there are risks with signing bonuses and roster bonuses...no question.
Well it sets out in print that retiring from football is an option available to the player. Thus, it is an "if" in the contract; i.e., if the player retires, he can't play football elsewhere. 

depopulationINC

Notice how Ricky Ray is never in the news in a controversial way about effort, or compensation, or possibility of phantom injuries etc?

There’s always a couple different ways to approach the business of pro sports. Not that either is right or wrong - just different.
 Ray does it right. Durant does it wrong. Sad way to end your career. No matter what he did before, this will be remembered as his swan song.
Honestly.....it will be widely remembered for a few years and just be a small backstory after that.

HfxTC

I don't begrudge Durant keeping the bonus at all.

The company known as the CFL and it's members do this continually to it's players. GMs are applauded for it everywhere as good money managers. Why would a player not do it. Only makes sense doesn't it.

Durant was due by contract to receive a bonus of $150,000 by Montreal  and was released the day before. He got some of it back now.

Not sure why he is getting flack. And I'm no big fan of his.

But I'm not saying anything new here.

Signing bonus is.....If I am still around, I am going to play for you this season
Roster bonus is.....if you are still around you will get a nice chunk of your contract on X date.

These are not the same thing.   One is a tax shelter and a promissory note.  The other is a piece of the pie early....nothing more.
Fixed it for you
No, you caused error in it actually.  You are 100% wrong.  read a standard player contract instead of slapping weird arse assumptions from your head on the table here and assuming they are fact and that a fricken legal document indicates something like 'hey, you know, if you feel like showing up can you promise to play for us?'....in what world do you think a lawyer would write something at all like that?  There is no way in hell they would.  

They are available for your viewing pleasure here:

https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/appendix-a-standard-player-contract.pdf
I was just having fun Depop... Making fun of CFL contracts. Which are not worth the paper they are written on... I can't take one side over another when these contracts are so favorable to one side vs the other.

IMO They amount to "Conditions of Employment"
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Aerial

Of course any contract, any league, employer doesn't mean much until it's challenged in a court of law, stating the obvious.  I'm sure one could make fun of NHL, NFL etc. contracts in a court of law equally as CFL contracts, unless I'm missing something here.

:-\ :-\ :-\
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

depopulationINC

Here is the thing with SIGNING bonus. They gave him the money to sign the piece of paper, not to dress for 18 games or 1 game. The money is his. He signed the piece of paper that said if he played football in 2018 it would be for the Bombers. BOOM!

It was bad risk management by Walters. For a number of reasons. If Durant had hurt himself that 70k was spoken for. You don't give a 70k bonus to an injury riddled backup at the end of his rope!

This is all on Walters.

BS.  This is 100% false.  

They are not signing an autograph.  They are signing to conditions.  They are signing saying "yeah, I am going to play for you and a motivation in doing so is you showing faith / seriousness in me by giving me some of that cash now...I will not be camp fodder."  I can assure you there is no "if" written on that piece of paper in regards to this.

This verbiage is in the standard contract, and is in every CFL player's contract.

1.   The term of this Contract shall be from the date of execution hereof until the 15thday of February following
the close of the football season commencing in 20____, subject however to the right of prior termination as specified herein.

2.   The Player agrees that during the term of this Contract he will play football and will engage in activities related to football only for the Club and will play for the Club in two Pre-Season games, and eighteen (18) regular season games and Canadian Football League playoff games and any other game approved by the Canadian Football League Players’ Association; and the Club, subject to the provisions hereof, agrees during such period to employ the Player as a skilled football Player. The Player agrees during the term of this Contract to report promptly for the Club’s training sessions and at the Club’s directions to participate in all practice sessions.

No it does not mean he "has" to play...obviously one can not be forced to.  It is however black and white that what is being signed is for the given season and thus the pay is.  If what you are saying held any water then a retiring player should get the entire value of that contract...cuz they signed it.  The contract is saying that the player intends to play.  

Recent examples....Price did the same thing and it was a slimy move.  MOB backed out as well...difference is he offered the money back because it was a legit change of heart.  

Everyone knows there are risks with signing bonuses and roster bonuses...no question.  DD's is looking more and more like he never intended to honor that contract though...and that is shady.  

23. Should the Player become a member of the Armed Forces of either Canada or the United States of America, and be unable to perform the services as agreed herein, or should the Player retire from football, prior to the expiration of the term of this Contract, in either case, the Player shall be ineligible to play football for any other person, firm, club or corporation until the expiration date of this Contract or the termination of this Contract by the Club, whichever first occurs.

If Durant was open with the Bombers that he was contemplating retirement, which seems to be the case, then they knew offering a signing bonus was a gamble.

And even if they didn't know before signing him that retirement was on his mind, the possibility of retirement is written into the standard contract, so again unless they specifically made provisions in the contract to recoup that bonus upon retirement, then the financial loss is on them.

Of course, if Durant signed just in order to get the bonus, that's pretty dishonest even if it follows the letter of the contract.

But if he was legitimately undecided and the Bombers offered the signing bonus to keep his potential playing rights (since retirement is always a possibility) from other clubs, then so be it.

Like i said...Everyone knows there are risks with signing bonuses and roster bonuses...no question.
Well it sets out in print that retiring from football is an option available to the player. Thus, it is an "if" in the contract; i.e., if the player retires, he can't play football elsewhere.
Of course they can retire...like I said, you can't force them to play

PTBO Dave

This is all on Walters.

BS.  This is 100% false.  

Of course they can retire...like I said, you can't force them to play
Right. I'm just saying that the contract he signed (assuming it follows the language in the standard contract you linked to) does indeed stipulate that if he played football in 2018 it would be for the Bombers. 

Iconic SR

Always wondered the exact reasons why the Rider training  staff was fired right around the same time Doubles and Jones started to butt heads. Many say the two stories are connected.

depopulationINC

Always wondered the exact reasons why the Rider training  staff was fired right around the same time Doubles and Jones started to butt heads. Many say the two stories are connected.
I answered this at the time within the rider forum...perhaps it was more in IMs

Edit...removing comment...I will sent an IM.

everyman

Always wondered the exact reasons why the Rider training  staff was fired right around the same time Doubles and Jones started to butt heads. Many say the two stories are connected.

I've deleted it.

FootbalYouBet

something everyman said
don't be a rumour spreader
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

everyman

Well when teams refuse to be at least somewhat transparent then people will inevitably fill in the vacuum.

But I hear you.

Personally I think the rumor is much more than that.

But I will delete it.

Perhaps you can follow suit and delete the quote as you wouldn't want to spread it further.

FootbalYouBet

Well when teams refuse to be at least somewhat transparent then people will inevitably fill in the vacuum.

But I hear you.

Personally I think the rumor is much more than that.

But I will delete it.

Perhaps you can follow suit and delete the quote as you wouldn't want to spread it further.
love it when a plan comes together :)

GHT120

Of course any contract, any league, employer doesn't mean much until it's challenged in a court of law, stating the obvious.  I'm sure one could make fun of NHL, NFL etc. contracts in a court of law equally as CFL contracts, unless I'm missing something here.

:-\ :-\ :-\
Unlike MLB, NBA and NHL, CFL and NFL contracts can be terminated by clubs at their will without cause.  The exception is a relatively small number of NFL contracts that are partially guaranteed, in which case only the guaranteed money is secure; Kirk Cousins the first fully guaranteed.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Users Online

68 Guests, 14 Users (8 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, mike619, EastVanMark, Lyle B. Style, letsgoticats, RichardVeilleux, Taleback, Augustus67, J5V, FenderGuy69, Grover, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)