Stampeder67

BREAKING: Retirement has been delayed,
Someone intercepted the retirement  papers when he tried to turn them into the League Office  ;)

I assume this guy is a pocket passer :o

Grover

David William Naylor‏Verified account
@TSNDaveNaylor
2h2 hours ago
Just a guess, but expect the next CBA negotiation to involve teams wanting to be able to recoup signing bonus $ from players who accept it and then retire. #CFL

Trevor Hardy
@CFLCapGuy
Replying to
@TSNDaveNaylor
The complication is this: in order for the Non-Resident Signing Bonus to be eligible for 15% withholding, it must be considered a “true” Signing Bonus, which - by definition - must be unconditional.  Once conditions are attached, amount can’t be withheld at 15%.
12:16 PM - 11 May 2018

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Iconic SR

Bombers ask for the $70K in bonus money back and DD said pound sand.

This is something that he had planned from the start and the Bombers were his sucker.
Some say Durant tried to fleece the Riders but Jones saw thru that and didn’t bite.

Same folks say Durant fleeced Montreal because he was hiding an injury and yet still demanded (and got) $500K.

Now we see that he took the Bombers $70K, while perhaps planning on retiring all along.

None of the above points to a team first type of player.

Mixed feelings here on Doubles.

HfxTC

Just to play devil`s advocate, Durant`s moral argument can be that he was dumped by the Als a day before he was due a $150,000 bonus the 2nd year of a 3 yr. contract the Als had agreed to. That it works both ways.
 What does screwing over the Bombers have to do with the Al's treating him poorly.  Ripping off Peter to hurt Paul doesn't make sense. I understand what you're getting at though.

As HfxTC correctly states nothing legally was wrong but this may just be another chapter in the dishonour of contracts that we have seen lately. Sad that a man's word means nothing.

I don't forget this kind of action.
My hope Dan is when they negotiate the next deal. Both sides create a structure that is transparent. Stop lying to fans, players....

-Contracts should be public.

- Whatever is owed for that calendar year should be guaranteed. No more signing players and releasing them before they've even had a look. Swapping them out like pieces of meat.

-Standard contracts. No side deals. no bonuses, no incentives. All money must be paid between game 1 and 18

- Football op budgets part of SMS.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

HfxTC

This is something that he had planned from the start and the Bombers were his sucker.
Some say Durant tried to fleece the Riders but Jones saw thru that and didn’t bite.

Same folks say Durant fleeced Montreal because he was hiding an injury and yet still demanded (and got) $500K.

Now we see that he took the Bombers $70K, while perhaps planning on retiring all along.

Can't blame the guy for making as much money as he was legally allowed, it is distasteful but his right. The idiots are Reed and Walters. Walters even worse. Anyone who saw Durant play last year should have known he was FINISHED.

Hank01

You might as well give undrafted Noah Picton a shot as a number 3 . He might surprise you in a good way .
So trade with the Argos?
I didn't know was he signed by them after the draft .
Time to get in the game with a week to go before training camp.

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/10/argos-sign-canadian-qb-noah-picton/
    Goodstuff at least he was given a camp spot . Nice to see . 

He is short but he looks like he can scramble a bit and throw from the few vids I watched him in . 

Also From the interview he looks like he has some moxie and a little chip on the shoulder that can be used as motivation to succeed .

Iconic SR

Can't blame the guy for making as much money as he was legally allowed, it is distasteful but his right. The idiots are Reed and Walters. Walters even worse. Anyone who saw Durant play last year should have known he was FINISHED.
Very good point.

greenandwhite

I seem to remember some, mostly Bomber fans, making fun of Jones for a similar situation a few years ago. Karma lol. 

everyman

I don't begrudge Durant keeping the bonus at all.

The company known as the CFL and it's members do this continually to it's players. GMs are applauded for it everywhere as good money managers. Why would a player not do it. Only makes sense doesn't it.

Durant was due by contract to receive a bonus of $150,000 by Montreal  and was released the day before. He got some of it back now.

Not sure why he is getting flack. And I'm no big fan of his. 

But I'm not saying anything new here.

Abendschan

Seriously though, Durant lost his spark/heart (no desire) not in the game anymore. One play I remember from last year is the grounded football pass to Big Nik Lewis, disappointment written all over it on that play in Montreal.  

Niagara Als

Why not?
  You might as well give undrafted Noah Picton a shot as a number 3 . He might surprise you in a good way .

Niagara Als

Just to play devil`s advocate, Durant`s moral argument can be that he was dumped by the Als a day before he was due a $150,000 bonus the 2nd year of a 3 yr. contract the Als had agreed to. That it works both ways.
I recall most Als fans were delighted that Durant did not get his bonus, likely due to his poor play during the year.

HfxTC

Here is the thing with SIGNING bonus. They gave him the money to sign the piece of paper, not to dress for 18 games or 1 game. The money is his. He signed the piece of paper that said if he played football in 2018 it would be for the Bombers. BOOM!

It was bad risk management by Walters. For a number of reasons. If Durant had hurt himself that 70k was spoken for. You don't give a 70k bonus to an injury riddled backup at the end of his rope!

This is all on Walters.

To claim well he should do "the right thing" and give it back is really funny.

HfxTC

I recall most Als fans were delighted that Durant did not get his bonus, likely due to his poor play during the year.
The difference is the bonus was for the upcoming season. Entirely up to the team to choose to move forward with the contract of not, so of course fans were happy. That's the way it is written right now within the CBA. In fact Durant is doing the same thing but in reverse, he cut the Bombers instead of the Bombers cutting him.

To top it off Durant paid 15 percent or 10 500.00 to the IRS and his agent probably got 1300.00 so he netted 58 200.00 and now the clown in Winnipeg says Hey! Durant, give me my 70k back.

Yeah right... :)

DAN38

Here is the thing with SIGNING bonus. They gave him the money to sign the piece of paper, not to dress for 18 games or 1 game. The money is his. He signed the piece of paper that said if he played football in 2018 it would be for the Bombers. BOOM!

It was bad risk management by Walters. For a number of reasons. If Durant had hurt himself that 70k was spoken for. You don't give a 70k bonus to an injury riddled backup at the end of his rope!

This is all on Walters.

To claim well he should do "the right thing" and give it back is really funny.
     As usual I can't disagree with anything you have said Hf, the money is his to keep fair and square but if you are going to blame Walters then we should look at the fact that Durant knew what he was doing too. That is the part that chafes me. I can forgive mistakes, hard to forgive dishonour.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Users Online

66 Guests, 14 Users (5 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
yougottabekidding, ticatbill, Corey.the.tiger, xlnt, Holy Mackinaw, EastVanMark, DavidThompson, mike619, KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, Lyle B. Style, letsgoticats, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (3)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)