RedandWhite

...just so I’m clear here, you left a Grey Cup game (an infamous one at that) because you didn’t want to wait in a line to get a beer?
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

yougottabekidding

...just so I’m clear here, you left a Grey Cup game (an infamous one at that) because you didn’t want to wait in a line to get a beer?
That's not what I said.  Re-read my post.

RedandWhite

...that’s why I asked for clarification, you said you left because it was unpleasant, and in the previous sentence outlined the stuff that was unpleasant for you...are they not related? Were the lineups not the thing that was unpleasant?

TravelPat1

But no, sometimes people use the airport code as an abbreviation when referring to the city so in Calgary's case they use YYC

Not so fun fact: Cities with multiple airports will have different codes. YYZ is referred to as Toronto's code though that is only the code for Pearson Airport. Toronto's actual city code is YTO....virtually no one outside of the travel/airline industry knows this!
Bonus points for Mghtygoose..    Add YTZ for another Toronto code too - because that is the code for Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Islands and when at Argos games at BMO Field several times a game you will see Porter flights taking off just beyond the south stands from that airport.

And in case anybody was wondering 
YVR for Vancouver
YEG for Edmonton 
YQR for Regina
YWG for Winnipeg
YUL for Montreal
YOW for Ottawa 
YHM for Hamilton 

brianjoxx

I've been to almost 20 Grey Cups since 1991 and I can honestly say the 2009 Cup in Calgary was easily the worst I have experienced.  The Fire Marshalls did everything possible to make the downtown party venues a disaster and you could see them laughing as they moved in on the Spirit Room and Tiger Town to hustle people out to get down to their ridiculous load limits which, when achieved, made the rooms feels empty and flat.

As well, McMahon is woefully inadequate as a facility to host 10,000 more fans than it's normal capacity, especially a crowd that's amped up and ready to have fun.  Drink/biffy lineups were absurd...many missed entire quarters just so they could get a hot dog or a beer.  My buddy and I left at halftime and watched the 2nd half at his place because it was so unpleasant.

Got nothing against the city or club but that Cup, their most recent host, was a disaster...although the game was somewhat amusing...especially the ending.

So, no thanks to a Cup in Calgary until they at least get a new park or a new Fire Chief.
My Wife and I when to the last Grey Cup in Calgary. Excellent seats at very reasonable price, great view, beautiful blue sky view against nice turf. Good game nice weather for sure, easy access to DRINKS and food.
However washrooms lacking. Calgary will bring massive amounts of portable washrooms this go.
I'm from BC and went to the last Grey cup game in Vancouver. Lack of Drinks big time and washrooms, much less fun then Calgary. Think to many fans been listening to Burkie Cry.
Still better venue then 3  existing stadiums. Cheers

yougottabekidding

I've been to almost 20 Grey Cups since 1991 and I can honestly say the 2009 Cup in Calgary was easily the worst I have experienced.  The Fire Marshalls did everything possible to make the downtown party venues a disaster and you could see them laughing as they moved in on the Spirit Room and Tiger Town to hustle people out to get down to their ridiculous load limits which, when achieved, made the rooms feels empty and flat.

As well, McMahon is woefully inadequate as a facility to host 10,000 more fans than it's normal capacity, especially a crowd that's amped up and ready to have fun.  Drink/biffy lineups were absurd...many missed entire quarters just so they could get a hot dog or a beer.  My buddy and I left at halftime and watched the 2nd half at his place because it was so unpleasant.

Got nothing against the city or club but that Cup, their most recent host, was a disaster...although the game was somewhat amusing...especially the ending.

So, no thanks to a Cup in Calgary until they at least get a new park or a new Fire Chief.
My Wife and I when to the last Grey Cup in Calgary. Excellent seats at very reasonable price, great view, beautiful blue sky view against nice turf. Good game nice weather for sure, easy access to DRINKS and food.
However washrooms lacking. Calgary will bring massive amounts of portable washrooms this go.
I'm from BC and went to the last Grey cup game in Vancouver. Lack of Drinks big time and washrooms, much less fun then Calgary. Think to many fans been listening to Burkie Cry.
Still better venue then 3  existing stadiums. Cheers
"Easy access to food and drink"?  You must have been in a private box...for those of us in the actual "cheap" seats it was a much different story.....and they claimed they had brought in many portable washrooms for the '09 event.  The fact of the matter is that McMahon is designed to handle 35,000...and doesn't do that very well.  It's a 60 year old facility...geez, even the expansion is 30 years ago now...it's just way past it's prime and easily the oldest park in the CFL with the exception of Montreal but they play the GC game in the Big O.   Trust me, I know the facility well.  I played CIS ball there, I have officiated games there and attended many regular season games there as well.  When you overload it with another 10,000 thirsty fans it fails miserably and that's my point.  It's also my opinion so if you disagree, that's fine, but don't take it personally.

As for the weather in 2009, it was -3C or so at kick off and got colder as the game when on as the sun set in the 1st quarter so not sure what "blue sky view" you speak of.

I live in Vancouver and have been to the last three cups here in 2005, 2011 and 2014.  As far as the 2005 Cup was concerned, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. There were few events leading up to the Cup, cops were "busting" the Spirit Room constantly and the venue management on gameday was sad.

The 2011 event was much better on both streams (events around the city Thur-Sun and the game itself) but it was still not as good as it could be.  I thought 2014 was fantastic.  Lots to do around town leading up to the game, the cops/fire guys were cool with regard to the best venues (usually Spirit Room, Tiger Town and Riderville) and the fan experience at BC Place was pretty good.  I think this improvement is a league wide thing too....I think the League is much more involved than they used to be and it shows. 

The Grey Cup to me is much, much more than the game itself.  The big game is certainly the "big finish" but bouncing around town the three days before the game is most of the fun.  Running into fans from other cities, in their jerseys, many of whom you've seen multiple times before is a blast.  Seeing those faded old Baltimore fans with their dirty jerseys and flags is hilarious.  If Thursday to Sunday morning are enjoyable then I'm 85% there.  There's a lot of variables that can make the game great or kinda lousy.  Venue management, weather, the game itself and the number of people wearing fruit on their heads can negatively affect the experience considerably and it's all a package.

IMHO, the 2009 Cup failed on all fronts.

RedandWhite

...it sure didn't fail on an ending...you should've stuck around to see it live...

yougottabekidding

...it sure didn't fail on an ending...you should've stuck around to see it live...
If I'd known, I probably would have...if only to see the horror of the Rider fans first hand!

BCRiderFan

If I'd known, I probably would have...if only to see the horror of the Rider fans first hand!
I witnessed it, but also witnessed 2013. When did the Bombers last win a Grey Cup again?
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

bobo82

I witnessed it, but also witnessed 2013. When did the Bombers last win a Grey Cup again?
Lol . In answer to your question (and yes , I know you already know the answer ) that would be the 1990 season . The Bombers won their 10th Grey Cup in their history one year after the Riders won only their 2nd Grey Cup in their history . To their credit they have since added 2 more victories to their total and now only need a mere 6 more to catch up to Winnipeg's number of Grey Cups won .

I'm not one to talk though really about Grey Cups won and when being a Ti-Cat fan considering the fact that it seems like an eternity since Hamilton last won the damn thing themselves . Yup . Eighteen years and counting now for us . :'(  Alas , when you're a Ti-Cat fan it seems like every year is wait til next year lately . :-[
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

yougottabekidding

Grey Cup wins (not including that ridiculous Baltimore year) in the last 60 years.

Edmonton 11
Winnipeg    7
Toronto      7
Montreal     6
Ottawa       6
Calgary      6
BC             6
Hamilton    6

Sask          4

bobo82

Grey Cup wins (not including that ridiculous Baltimore year) in the last 61 years.

Edmonton 11
Winnipeg    7
Toronto      7
Hamilton  7  ;D
Montreal     6
Ottawa       6
Calgary      6
BC             6

Sask          4
Slight alteration above , although it doesn't change a thing on who is on the bottom . ;)

The Last Word

Given recent trends at the Grey Cup, maybe McMahon should only be expanded with 3 - 5,000 temporary seats with a total of 38 - 41,000 in attendance.  While it certainly won't relieve congestion on the concourses, it would mitigate the problems that occurred during the the last Grey Cup there in 2009 with 45,000 in attendance.  That and having more port-a-potties and points of entries.

brianjoxx

Still better venue then 3  existing stadiums. Cheers
"Easy access to food and drink"?  You must have been in a private box...for those of us in the actual "cheap" seats it was a much different story.....and they claimed they had brought in many portable washrooms for the '09 event.  The fact of the matter is that McMahon is designed to handle 35,000...and doesn't do that very well.  It's a 60 year old facility...geez, even the expansion is 30 years ago now...it's just way past it's prime and easily the oldest park in the CFL with the exception of Montreal but they play the GC game in the Big O.   Trust me, I know the facility well.  I played CIS ball there, I have officiated games there and attended many regular season games there as well.  When you overload it with another 10,000 thirsty fans it fails miserably and that's my point.  It's also my opinion so if you disagree, that's fine, but don't take it personally.

As for the weather in 2009, it was -3C or so at kick off and got colder as the game when on as the sun set in the 1st quarter so not sure what "blue sky view" you speak of.

I live in Vancouver and have been to the last three cups here in 2005, 2011 and 2014.  As far as the 2005 Cup was concerned, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. There were few events leading up to the Cup, cops were "busting" the Spirit Room constantly and the venue management on gameday was sad.

The 2011 event was much better on both streams (events around the city Thur-Sun and the game itself) but it was still not as good as it could be.  I thought 2014 was fantastic.  Lots to do around town leading up to the game, the cops/fire guys were cool with regard to the best venues (usually Spirit Room, Tiger Town and Riderville) and the fan experience at BC Place was pretty good.  I think this improvement is a league wide thing too....I think the League is much more involved than they used to be and it shows.

The Grey Cup to me is much, much more than the game itself.  The big game is certainly the "big finish" but bouncing around town the three days before the game is most of the fun.  Running into fans from other cities, in their jerseys, many of whom you've seen multiple times before is a blast.  Seeing those faded old Baltimore fans with their dirty jerseys and flags is hilarious.  If Thursday to Sunday morning are enjoyable then I'm 85% there.  There's a lot of variables that can make the game great or kinda lousy.  Venue management, weather, the game itself and the number of people wearing fruit on their heads can negatively affect the experience considerably and it's all a package.

But those private seats where nice and reasonable, unlike Ottawa where we need to remortgage our house.   Hands up to Edmonton  where main tickets are under $200. Which brings in average family's.
Calgary was very good grey cup. Week long parties where the best of the best. CHEERS

CFL Pete

For 2019, the correct choice is Montreal.  If Calgary follows Edmonton that will disenfranchise eastern fans who are rediscovering the CFL after Ottawa's renaissance.  It should be an eastern city.  That means Montreal or Toronto.

And play the Grey Cup in the afternoon, so kids can see the trophy awarded before bedtime, and maybe play the game at halftime.  That's how you make new fans.

Users Online

69 Guests, 16 Users (7 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
EastVanMark, yougottabekidding, Holy Mackinaw, xlnt, mike619, KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, Lyle B. Style, letsgoticats, RichardVeilleux, Taleback, Augustus67, J5V, FenderGuy69, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)