narles

I will not be going to this one in 2019. Of all the Grey Cups I have been to, I was treated like absolute trash by the people in Calgary in 2009. The stadium was uncomfortable. While easy to get to, we waited over two hours to get onto the C-Train after the game. Restaurants did not seem to want to serve us, Calgarians bad-mouthed us at festival events. In Edmonton, people went out of there way to make us feel wanted and happy. Locals stopped us on the street and asked if we needed directions or such. A total 180 degree difference. Strange what a few hundred kilometers can do. In BC, I am not even sure they knew we were there for the most part. Hotels treated us well there but otherwise we were mostly ignored until just before the game.

yougottabekidding

...you do realize there is a hard science to Maximum Occupancy Limits for Occupied Spaces?  it's covered by our National Building Code, which we, as a society, have deemed to be a good thing for life safety measures, and it is part of [insert any jurisdiction here] fire department's mandate to monitor and ensure compliance...it's not some pull-outta-yer-arse thing to be a party pooper...
I am well aware of the concept of occupancy limits.  But, like anything else, you can "ENFORCE" the limit or you can "enforce" the limit and keep people safe while relaxing a bit....like most other Grey Cup cities do.  Ask organizers of Tiger Town or the Spirit of Edmonton Room if you don't believe me...they'll tell you the same story...Calgary's FD not only give no grace on occupancy but they actively make it difficult to get anywhere near occupancy....the toughest city to run their events on when it comes to GC.

As well, I'm involved in a major trade show at BMO that also runs in Edmonton.  Every year the CFD are a major pain in the a$$ to deal with.  EFD is reasonable while ensuring safety but Calgary.....hours and hours and hours of back and forth not to mention changing regs day to day year to year...a nightmare.

RedandWhite

...I'll pass your comments along to the alderman for my area (Sean Chu), maybe he can put in a word to the CFD before the next GC...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

yougottabekidding

...I'll pass your comments along to the alderman for my area (Sean Chu), maybe he can put in a word to the CFD before the next GC...
Assuming you're serious, good on ya.  Just tell him to tell the CFD to go to "Stampede" mode.  I've been to that great event many times and am pretty sure I've been in more than one room/tent/venue that was welllllllllll over capacity.  It's part of the fun and I know Calgarians know how to have a good time.

RedandWhite

...super serious...why not, can't hurt...let's see if he responds...

FootbalYouBet

every year, the cup is at the same place for me.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

brianjoxx

I will not be going to this one in 2019. Of all the Grey Cups I have been to, I was treated like absolute trash by the people in Calgary in 2009. The stadium was uncomfortable. While easy to get to, we waited over two hours to get onto the C-Train after the game. Restaurants did not seem to want to serve us, Calgarians bad-mouthed us at festival events. In Edmonton, people went out of there way to make us feel wanted and happy. Locals stopped us on the street and asked if we needed directions or such. A total 180 degree difference. Strange what a few hundred kilometers can do. In BC, I am not even sure they knew we were there for the most part. Hotels treated us well there but otherwise we were mostly ignored until just before the game.
Actually sorry for you but that can happen. We live in Vernon, BC. Flew into Calgary for the 2009 Grey cup 2 days early and went to the teams festival. Best Ever. Took a cab to the game and joined the tailgate party which was fantastic. Seats on 35 yard line, great view beautiful site, with the sky and colors brilliant. People treated us so nice. Yes lack of washrooms. Few years later it was Vancouver's turn, nice, no washrooms, only one beer at a time and you had to show ID even if you were 102.
Sound system brutal. Lucky we sneaked in some extra drinks. Line ups for drinks or washrooms 20 minutes. We survived. Still okay because out west tickets are very reasonable. AND THEY SHOULD BE.
Sometimes its the luck of the draw. Go to the one in Edmonton and try Calgary again.
Could be awesome. Cheers

Hank01

Interesting the new number is anywhere above 34,000 for future Grey Cups even for the western cities .

The CFL continues to make a statement that it's better to gear for the future with smaller venues . 

Bodes well for CFL expansion dreams within Canada .

brianjoxx

Interesting the new number is anywhere above 34,000 for future Grey Cups even for the western cities .

The CFL continues to make a statement that it's better to gear for the future with smaller venues .

Well said Hank. Correct 34,000 should be minimum with quality seats.
Edmonton is looking at 48,000 and reasonable ticket prices. All other western teams will/would get
38,000. Where does that leave the eastern teams, 24,000-28,000? ? ?
Just a thought. Checkout the attendance for last 10 years for all teams. Then check out the win RATIO
between east and west of the average. It reflex's in the about attendance.
4000 more fans per 9 home games equal more cash.Salary cap equal but more money for investment.
East needs to get much closer to that 34,000

Hank01

Well said Hank. Correct 34,000 should be minimum with quality seats.
Edmonton is looking at 48,000 and reasonable ticket prices. All other western teams will/would get
38,000. Where does that leave the eastern teams, 24,000-28,000? ? ?
Just a thought. Checkout the attendance for last 10 years for all teams. Then check out the win RATIO
between east and west of the average. It reflex's in the about attendance.
4000 more fans per 9 home games equal more cash.Salary cap equal but more money for investment.
East needs to get much closer to that 34,000
 Definitely the East struggled and the West seems to be run more efficient and effective .

I see the CFL sees that they just can't draw the crowds that they aspired to in the 70's when they expanded stadiums and have come up with hopefully a plan to build from a smaller platform in order to get a bigger volume of fans with expansion into Canadian cities that is left untapped .

Maybe this can build up a bigger expanded Canadian league that will attract those who look at 9 teams as archaic and irrelevant to something worth investing money in tickets and merchandise with more teams and cities to talk about than the everlasting story of 9 .

If they look at MLS they have some really good looking stadiums with modest capacity that they can replicate . With the CPL's home games  they can now use the expanded usage with the CFL 10 home games combined and get this infrastructure built .

Kelowna with the BC interior getting a larger population maybe one of those places in the future for a modest 20,000 stadium for football and soccer .

Maybe we can get those 30,000 plus crowds again someday as well . With the modest prices for tickets the CFL will be able to attract the Canadian fan who watches their pocket book but still wants that entertainment that live games give you .

CFL Pete

The announcement that the 2019 Grey Cup "presented by Shaw" will be played in Calgary is a disappointment.  Calgary is just so far from the centre of the country, has unpredictable weather, and will follow another Alberta Grey Cup at Edmonton in 2018.  If it must be west, let it be in Vancouver, where, like Montreal, the team and League could use the boost.  The 2016 game at Toronto was a dud commercially and future Toronto Grey Cups should be held at the Rogers Centre.  But the worst of it is that it sets up a major wrangle for who gets it in 2020.  Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Montreal will all be due.  Toronto should be considered as the country's biggest market.  If the CFL wants to be big time, it should aspire to thrive in Toronto, even if at the expense of comparing itself to the NFL.  For people who want to watch American football, that's what the NFL is for.  We hardly need to be more American.  However, neglecting the fact that Toronto is a "world class" city, and sheepishly acting as if the CFL is another other than "world class" football, is a self-defeating oversight.  Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver.  

There was a thoughtful post objecting to the suggestion of playing the game in the afternoon, so that children might be exposed to the dying moments of the championship classic and the awarding of the venerable Grey Cup trophy.  Canadian professional football used to be a bigger deal, kids wore CFL at school, and the rivalries were real.  Now, it's NFL and NBA.  We don't want to be like that.  The Super Bowl and the Grey Cup, as television spectacles, are so indistinguishable from each other that it's depressing to be a CFL fan.  The best thing about this past Super Bowl was how like a traditional Canadian game it was, wild and woolly.  Our own Grey Cup between Toronto and Calgary was close and quaint, charmingly played in a snowstorm in the nation's capital, but it hardly left anyone breathless.

Not so long ago - though the time passes quickly! - the Grey Cup annually redeemed the CFL for its being so much better than the annual American Super "Bore".  Not so any longer.  The Americans do it better, but we should do it differently.  You begin by playing the game in the afternoon, and establishing that the CFL isn't in the business of copying the NFL.  The NFL doesn't need imitators; it has itself to cover all bets.

The all-star game is as hokey as the rouge.  And it can be just as Canadian.  It is not a football game for stakes, necessarily, but an exhibition of the best talent in the country on the field at the same time, and an opportunity to see Bo Levi Mitchell complete a pass to Duron Carter, or Ricky Ray toss one to Andy Fantuz.  It will only take a little imagination to recognize the merit to a pre-season all star event.  
Finally, on the crossover, or "westover", and the full interlocking schedule.  Just check the respective records of eastern and western teams since the full interlocking schedule was adopted.  It's around 75% - 25% in favour of western clubs.  The Montreal Canadiens will play the Boston Bruins many times during the hockey season, but the Phoenix Coyotes only once.  Nobody gets sick of seeing this.  And that westover playoff reminds of the "welcome to my parlour said the spider to the fly".  Every year an eastern team surrenders its position to a western club that comes east, and gets fleeced.  These are forward thinking ideas.  As the old saying goes, "What's past is prologue."

rshmglsky

The Toronto thing has been done to death. Off the top of my head, sure the league isn't doing itself any favors by keeping challenges in the games (I won't watch sports with coaches challenges in them), but they're saying a lot of the right things.

What Vancouver needs a new owner, not a Grey Cup.

rpaege

But the worst of it is that it sets up a major wrangle for who gets it in 2020.  Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Montreal will all be due.  
Huh? Winnipeg hosted the Cup only 3 years ago, Regina 5 years ago, and Vancouver 4 years ago. How can any of them be "due"? There are 9 teams. Shouldn't a city only expect to host every 9 or 10 years? Are you suggesting that some cities be favoured over others?

As for playing the game in the afternoon, who's afternoon? Are you saying the game should start at 10 a.m. in Vancouver?

CFL Pete

Wow.  You're right, and I can't believe that I haven't remembered those games.  Especially Winnipeg.  And B.C.  Honestly, that was stupid of me.  I guess that with Regina having a new stadium, and great parties, that I felt that the Riders were due.  Completely forgot about Winnipeg and B.C.  What a bad gaff on my part.  

Apologies.....I stand totally corrected.  

Users Online

113 Guests, 19 Users (17 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Augustus67, RedandWhite, Killer91, Iconic SR, ExPat, Oskie18, KevinRiley2, oskee7777, tcmike, Mightygoose, Bigshot, TravelPat1, SeaFiddle, Onemoredork, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)