everyman

IMO the only league that has solved the challenge mess is MLB.

Clearly they don't overturn anything unless the replay, in a quick review is VERY obvious. If its not the play stands. Very quick and unobtrusive for the most part.

You get the sense that the reviewers watch the replay once and decide. Boom. I like it.

rshmglsky

IMO the only league that has solved challenges mess is MLB.

Clearly they don't overturn anything unless the replay, in a quick review, is VERY,  obvious. If its not the play stands. Very quick and unobtrusive for the most part.

You get the sense that the reviewers watch the replay once and decide. Boom. I like it.
Yeah, but baseball is supposed to be a long, drawn-out affair, which is probably why they took it one step farther and stopped playing the game in 2042

(according to star trek)

everyman

Hahaha... yeah.

Everybody seems to harp on BB as taking too long to play.

Actually a football and a BB game are almost the same now. Just a shade under 3 hours.

The difference is that you are now bombarded non stop at the football stadium with music that precludes talk. In baseball you are forced to hear relative silence or actually talk to someone in between plays. Or play on your phone is more likely.

I often ask what is the rush anyway? Maybe we should just have leagues consisting of coin flips.

RedandWhite

Clearly they don't overturn anything unless the replay, in a quick review is VERY obvious. If its not the play stands. Very quick and unobtrusive for the most part.

...I don't know if its related or not but MLB to me seems to place a lot more 'importance' on the officiating personalities than other pro sports...the arguments between managers and umps for example, you rarely if ever see that level of drama in other sports...so I'm wondering if your observation is based on the officiating crew having a high level of ego and they take that to this part of the game as well...replay, watch, decide, respond, boom over and done...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

everyman

Either way I like that they have clearly decided that replays do not have to reviewed in slow mo several times before making a decision. I like that they decide the validity of the challenge based on a very quick slo mo review seemingly once. If its not OBVIOUS they side with the call on the field.  I support that approac in all sports.

PTBO Dave

At least when there's a challenge in the CFL, it gives the fans at home time to make a sandwich, mow the lawn, pop out to the supermarket, read War and Peace, etc. before play continues.

rshmglsky

read War and Peace
What chapter are you on?

Aerial

I'm leaning towards getting rid of challenges altogether in pro sports myself but the quicker they can do it, and yes baseball is quick it seems from what I've seen, and the fewest possible is good in my books.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

canadianfootballfan

Keep challenges, but find ways to make them better/more accurate and quicker.

depopulationINC

...I don't know if its related or not but MLB to me seems to place a lot more 'importance' on the officiating personalities than other pro sports...the arguments between managers and umps for example, you rarely if ever see that level of drama in other sports...so I'm wondering if your observation is based on the officiating crew having a high level of ego and they take that to this part of the game as well...replay, watch, decide, respond, boom over and done...
Interesting observation.

depopulationINC

Keep challenges, but find ways to make them better/more accurate and quicker.
no super-slow motion.  If you can't tell by normal speed then it was too close to call and it should stand.  The only time I would argue that super slow should be valid is on sideline with a foot going out, which they can generally pick up on fast anyways.

For me, it is less about the length of the challenges as opposed to the frequency / ability though.  Nothing sucks the life out of the game like waiting after a big play to get excited or not than sitting on your hands to see if there is a challenge coming every time.

GHT120

no super-slow motion.  If you can't tell by normal speed then it was too close to call and it should stand.  The only time I would argue that super slow should be valid is on sideline with a foot going out, which they can generally pick up on fast anyways...
Two others, IMO, would be fumble/is-knee-down, and breaking the plane for TDs
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

depopulationINC

no super-slow motion.  If you can't tell by normal speed then it was too close to call and it should stand.  The only time I would argue that super slow should be valid is on sideline with a foot going out, which they can generally pick up on fast anyways...
Two others, IMO, would be fumble/is-knee-down, and breaking the plane for TDs
not for me...those are kinda the exact ones that I don't agree with....breaking the plane aside.  If you need to freeze frame to tell if he was down or note...let it ride.  if you need to freeze frame a loose ball 14 times...let it ride.  Foot out I get because only one ref really has a good view of that and unless he happens to be a few yards away he can't tell the fine line, but it is pretty easy to on replay.

FootbalYouBet

IMO,

all judgement calls should be only in the refs hands.

only blatant errors should be reversible

video review when used should only take 20 seconds looking at each view once in real time.

Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

depopulationINC

IMO,

all judgement calls should be only in the refs hands.

only blatant errors should be reversible

video review when used should only take 20 seconds looking at each view once in real time.

And whom/how determines a blatant error?  That is supposed to be the intent of instant replay...but it is not.

Users Online

111 Guests, 18 Users (13 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Augustus67, Killer91, Iconic SR, ExPat, Oskie18, KevinRiley2, oskee7777, tcmike, Mightygoose, Bigshot, TravelPat1, SeaFiddle, Onemoredork, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)