ro1313

The Als have a recognition program

Lyle B. Style

Small change but I'd like to see CFL adopt the 2 minute warning idea.

Since our league has far fewer timeouts than NFL make the 2 min. warning an actual timeout when the clock stops.

CFL can get far more plays off during the last minute so why not give both teams a timeout with 2 to go?
Because you get a timeout with 3 minutes to go
You get a commercial break with 3 min. left - but the clock starts when the ref whistles things back into play - killing up to 20 seconds. A hard time-out - there's no kill off of time until the play starts!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

ro1313

You are right...it does start at the whistle but its no biggie for me

But while you are taking about the clock,  I would like to see something consistent with the starting of the 20 sec clock....Right now it seems to start when ever the refs feels like starting it

You can see the ref standing there waiting....watching the huddle then blowing it in after they break.....yet other times after an incomplete pass the intended receiver is still on the other side of the LOS  players are still getting up off the ground and the clock has started

One thing that was pointed out to me  was that a certain team....is always changing the football.  This delays the 20 second clock because the ref has to wait for the ball to get there to be placed

There needs to be some consistency as to when it starts

pw13

The clock rules need to be changed back to what we used to have. The league allows teams to make situation substitutions by having the ref wait until all personnel are on the field before starting the 20-second clock. But in the meantime the game clock continues to run. This often results in 40-50 seconds of game clock elapsing between a whistle ending one play and the next snap. The result is fewer actual plays in each game. 

yougottabekidding

But while you are taking about the clock,  I would like to see something consistent with the starting of the 20 sec clock....Right now it seems to start when ever the refs feels like starting it

You can see the ref standing there waiting....watching the huddle then blowing it in after they break.....yet other times after an incomplete pass the intended receiver is still on the other side of the LOS  players are still getting up off the ground and the clock has started

One thing that was pointed out to me  was that a certain team....is always changing the football.  This delays the 20 second clock because the ref has to wait for the ball to get there to be placed

There is consistency to the clock as there's a page and a half in the rule book as to when officials start it and stop it.  Don't forget there's a 20 second play clock and the actual game clock and they aren't necessarily running at the same time.

As to the changing of the balls, the ballboy at CFL games is on the field instantly upon the play ending to hand deliver the ball to the Umpire who places the ball....no time is lost...it all runs very smoothly.  There are two ballboys at every CFL game and both are amateur officials who work HS, Junior and CIS games so they get it.

pw13

Don't forget there's a 20 second play clock and the actual game clock and they aren't necessarily running at the same time.

That's part of the problem, IMO. The game clock keeps rolling while the 20-second clock is stopped. By the time the 20 is started, anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds of game clock has often been chewed up. This happens throughout the game and as a result I believe there are fewer snaps (i.e. fewer actual plays) than there used to be. Back in the 1980s, when rosters were small and there were few lineup substitutions between plays, you would typically see the next snap no more than 30 seconds of game time after the previous whistle. Now it's often 40-50 seconds.

ro1313

But while you are taking about the clock,  I would like to see something consistent with the starting of the 20 sec clock....Right now it seems to start when ever the refs feels like starting it

You can see the ref standing there waiting....watching the huddle then blowing it in after they break.....yet other times after an incomplete pass the intended receiver is still on the other side of the LOS  players are still getting up off the ground and the clock has started

One thing that was pointed out to me  was that a certain team....is always changing the football.  This delays the 20 second clock because the ref has to wait for the ball to get there to be placed

There is consistency to the clock as there's a page and a half in the rule book as to when officials start it and stop it.  Don't forget there's a 20 second play clock and the actual game clock and they aren't necessarily running at the same time.

As to the changing of the balls, the ballboy at CFL games is on the field instantly upon the play ending to hand deliver the ball to the Umpire who places the ball....no time is lost...it all runs very smoothly.  There are two ballboys at every CFL game and both are amateur officials who work HS, Junior and CIS games so they get it.
Go back and read what I wrote please

yougottabekidding

There is consistency to the clock as there's a page and a half in the rule book as to when officials start it and stop it.  Don't forget there's a 20 second play clock and the actual game clock and they aren't necessarily running at the same time.

As to the changing of the balls, the ballboy at CFL games is on the field instantly upon the play ending to hand deliver the ball to the Umpire who places the ball....no time is lost...it all runs very smoothly.  There are two ballboys at every CFL game and both are amateur officials who work HS, Junior and CIS games so they get it.
I did.  I addressed your comment about the 20 second clock starting "whenever the refs feel like starting it..." (not true, there are very specific rules about that) and your concern about the changing of the footballs delaying timing (it doesn't).

ro1313

I did.  I addressed your comment about the 20 second clock starting "whenever the refs feel like starting it..." (not true, there are very specific rules about that) and your concern about the changing of the footballs delaying timing (it doesn't).
Well then I fail to see what the 20 second clock and the game clock running at the same time has to do with anything....

Then explain to me why there are times when like I said the receiver is not back across the LOS and the 20 second clock has started....and other times the huddle has been broken and the clock has not started.....commercial breaks not withstanding...  Like I said...The ref is standing there watching the huddle and does not blow it in until it is broken.....Watch for it next time

As for changing the ball....yes it does because I have seen it....Ref is standing at the LOS holding A BALL and waiting for the new one to arrive. when the ball gets there the ref places it and starts the 20 second clock....All the while the players are in the huddle.........it happens time after time with this team

tabbyfan

The Als have a recognition program
Do you get to pick the two cheerleaders?  MMMM - nice pom-poms.

Users Online

92 Guests, 21 Users (20 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, brianjoxx, Obrigardo, KevinRiley2, letsgoticats, GOTC1, FootbalYouBet, Lyle B. Style, PTBO Dave, batkinson001, Sidney, Niagara Als, CFLFansInToronto, FormerlyTurkish, FenderGuy69, drummer_god, brihind88, Taleback, VICIOUSCIRCLE, TeddyFay, Yahoo!, Google (18), Baidu

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)