The Last Word

According to the article the ratings are still down 13% from last year.  With only a third of the season left, the ratings will probably be down at least 10% from last year.  Horrible.  All the gains from last year have been lost and the CFL is looking at its lowest ratings in a decade or longer.

Argofan_1000

According to the article the ratings are still down 13% from last year.  With only a third of the season left, the ratings will probably be down at least 10% from last year.  Horrible.  All the gains from last year have been lost and the CFL is looking at its lowest ratings in a decade or longer.
stats can be misleading.

Game was only shown on a few TSN stations to start with. Some people just couldn't get the game. this was mentioned on another board.

13% down from SAME PERIOD LAST YEAR OR ALL OF LAST YEAR? THIS INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT when 3down is blabbing stats!! I would like to see the calculations myself.  

CFL is coming into the most watched period -  fighting for position, plus playoffs and Grey Cup so we will see if the 13% holds true. I doubt it will.

A CFL Sunday 1pm Eastern start is a 10am Pacific Time start

An NFL 1pm start is  1pm Pacific Time start and a 1pm Eastern Time start plus it is shown on multiple platforms.

League wanted Sat 4 pm or 1pm start times which I think is good for in game attendance but difficult to watch every game in every time zone. Ticats Lions on at 11 pm tonight - I'll try

A Quebec Team and a border city Quebec team were playing and RDS numbers were not counted. A fair rating for a CFL game in Canada with these 2 teams?

Plus lower ratings because both teams having very poor records so it wasn't a "must watch" event. If the game is not interesting people will turn it off bringing the viewer average down! My take on the low number

TravelPat1

All those comments are valid Argofan - and I like you will see how far I can hang in there with the Cats game tonight.  Almost calls for what friends used to refer to as a 'disco nap' - taking a nap before heading out around 11PM to a dance club when I was (much) younger.  lol

But still - 190,000 - that's not good regardless of all the factors/excuses that contributed to that - which you laid out quite well. I think it is the lowest (English TV) rating I can ever recall for a CFL game. 

flutie0202

From the link Mr. Pike posted.

Saskatchewan’s win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday night was the most-watched game of the weekend, drawing an average of 561,000 viewers on TSN.
With how much more popular the CFL seems in the west - especially in a season like this where Eastern teams have largely sucked - I suspect that 561,000 would have been much higher had the game not started at 4:00PM in BC and 5:00PM in Saskatchewan and Alberta on a Friday. Even though it was the highest game of the weekend it could have been much higher if started later is my guess.

Heck even fans in Hamilton going to the game would have preferred at least a 30 minute later start as a 7:00PM start is so hard to get to on time on weekdays.

So not sure what TSN or the CFL were thinking to start that game at 7:00PM ET with only one game being played that night.  Just makes no sense to me especially when you consider that the ratings are struggling down 13% this year.  

Could not agree enough, it's like TSN is going out of their way to hide CFL games. It's their major sports property. For the most part the games should be on their main station 95% of the time. I now need to go looking for games and when I"m up north I can't get TSN 3,4or 5. How many viewers are they losing that can't even watch the games now due to not getting other TSN station. Fairweather fans are not going to search for games. Add the late game starts and the triple headers and I wonder what TSN and the league is thinking. Put the CFL on CTV would add close to 600,000 plus to the ratings

flutie0202

It's like TSN wants the league to fight with 1 hand behide their back. Also funny I don't see a lot of the Toronto media types commenting on the total lack of fans the LA NFL team is getting. Hell LA is only out drawing the Argos by 10,000 fans!!

KevinRiley2

Sadly, tonight's slaughter, going up against the Leafs, will not help.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

jaybird24

rhymes with orange

No big surprise.

Which feeds carried the game? We only have TSN 2 and 4. One had NFL, the other had NASCAR so there was no choice for me to watch Ottawa-Montreal, that would likely hundreds of thousands of potential viewers too.
To me, the lost feed was the ratings killers. I am sure I was one of thousands that started with the game, but reached for the remote when they went back to the studio for what seemed an eternity.

Rod and the guys did the best they could under the circumstances but, come on. I'm not going to watch 3 guys make stuff up on the fly, when there is wall-to-wall football available elsewhere.

TravelPat1

A good news / not so good news TV ratings result from last weekend's CFL games on ESPN2.  

The good news - 182,000 average for the 11:00PM ET Friday night Hamilton @ BC game.  That's quite good for a game starting that late for much of the USA. 

The not so good news - just 54,000 average for the Stamps @ Riders game at 4:00PM ET Sunday afternoon.  Not that surprising though because in the USA - you just can not compete with the NFL.

Xvys

The 182,000 rating for Friday's Lions/Ticats game on ESPN2 was surprising, considering the game seems to have been joined in progress starting at quarter to midnight until 2:00 a.m.

In comparison, the prime-time 7:00 pm MLS game on ESPN2 drew 212,000, not much higher despite featuring two U.S. teams (incl. LA Galaxy).

I suspect the College Football lead-in with 1.2M viewers, perhaps helped the CFL numbers (or maybe they fell asleep and forgot to change the channel? ;)

ESPN added 7 extra CFL games to their Fall schedule, so they must be satisfied with the ratings (and BTSports in U.K. too.)

They seem to want to put the CFL head-to-head against the NFL, with the previous Sunday's epic RB/Als Sunday 1:00 pm battle drawing 60,000 on ESPN2. That's not that bad considering it was going up against about 10 NFL games (plus Golf, Tennis, Nascar). So I guess the CFL does have a hardcore base of fans in the U.S!

Argofan_1000

Info for Sept 29th weekend - 3down reporting  NO RDS

Fri      Sept 29           Sask- Ott                              466K

NHL Preseason                      451K

BlueJays                               180K

Sat     Sept 30           EE WBB                                 657K

Closing Invictus                      910K

Sun      Oct 1            NFL early CTV/simsub/TSN       719K

NFL Late CTV/simsub/TSN        450K

jaybird24

The 182,000 rating for Friday's Lions/Ticats game on ESPN2 was surprising, considering the game seems to have been joined in progress starting at quarter to midnight until 2:00 a.m.

In comparison, the prime-time 7:00 pm MLS game on ESPN2 drew 212,000, not much higher despite featuring two U.S. teams (incl. LA Galaxy).

I suspect the College Football lead-in with 1.2M viewers, perhaps helped the CFL numbers (or maybe they fell asleep and forgot to change the channel? ;)

Probably,  and the CFL game was "joined in progress"  at 11:45 PM after the NCAA game finished.
But the important stat is the young demographic audience was close to 50%

KevinRiley2

During the Summer, we should have :

1 game on Thursday night
2 Games on Friday - double header
1 Game on Saturday night

During the Fall, we should have :

1 game on Thursday night - the NFL games on Thursday are garbage
2 Games on Friday - double header
1 game Saturday day

And keep it consistent.  

KevinRiley2

Should have 2 games today - 1 at noon, 1 at 4 pm.

Having a game on Saturday night was stupid.

Xvys

Yep, the CFL shouldn't go against HNIC, better to have 2 Sunday or Friday games. The average CFL rating on TSN this year is higher than NFL Sunday. Last week, all NFL 4:00 pm games combined drew 450k viewers across Canada on CTV/TSN/CBS/FOX sim-subbed. The little 'ole CFL comes through again! (Did you see the BJ's drew 180k last game? The MLS would kill for those numbers :))

Perhaps the CFL should have a schedule more like this:

Summer:
CFL Thursday Night Football - (Thur. eve.)
Friday Night Football - (Fri. eve.)
CFL Saturday Football - (Sat. 7:00 pm)
CFL Sunday Football - (Sun. 6:00 pm)

Fall:
Friday Night Football - (Fri. Double-header)
CFL Saturday Football - (Sat 3:00 pm)
CFL Sunday Football - (Sun. 6:00 pm)

The problem is TSN probably doesn't want to televise a CFL Sunday night game, despite likely drawing higher ratings than the NFL version, despite it being simulcast on NBC/CTV2/TSN1 in prime-time (and again on Thursday night).

Bell is losing two 3-hour blocks a week televising the NFL on CTV in prime-time. Instead they could be sim-subbing a popular American program, drawing 1.5M to 2M viewers (which competitors Global/CBC can now pick up). Bell is obviously totally dedicated to the NFL "pulling out all the stops" despite the cratering NFL ratings in Canada and U.S.

Too bad they don't love Canada's game with as much vigor. :-\

Users Online

86 Guests, 12 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rcon, bobo82, Matheddle, rshmglsky, Holy Mackinaw, Lyle B. Style, SeaFiddle, Hamilton2005, guelphcatsfan, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 164. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)