slimjim2

I've been watching games  for last while on BT Sports.
Anyone have any idea what those numbers are like?
Considering that BT Sports has few subscribers in the UK and with the 5 to 8 hour time difference,  
 I would be surprised if CFL football would be watched by anyone other than Canadians living there.

The weekend afternoon games would be broadcast at a decent time in the UK but not the evening games.

http://informitv.com/2017/01/27/bt-approaches-1-75-million-television-homes/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/20/bt-sport-not-free/

Xvys

This is the 3rd year BT Sports in Great Britain has been broadcasting CFL games. Most of the games last year were on BT2 while some CFL games this season are being shown on the main BT1 network. If the ratings were so bad would they continue to show CFL football and promote them to the main BT1 network?

They probably don't draw the 240,000 viewers the CFL has drawn on ESPN2 this year but just going from the many comments from English CFL viewers the audience must be big enough to justify broadcasting the games live across Great Britain.

KevinRiley2

This is the 3rd year BT Sports in Great Britain has been broadcasting CFL games. Most of the games last year were on BT2 while some CFL games this season are being shown on the main BT1 network. If the ratings were so bad would they continue to show CFL football and promote them to the main BT1 network?

They probably don't draw the 240,000 viewers the CFL has drawn on ESPN2 this year but just going from the many comments from English CFL viewers the audience must be big enough to justify broadcasting the games live across Great Britain.
I am sure the ratings are fine on BT, as they are for ESPN.

The only important question is : When will they translate into real money for the CFL?  If they don`t, viewership numbers are irrelevant.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Paolo X

Saturday afternoon games not good idea in the summer. I imagine the new commissioner will be making changes to the scheduling. I would expect lots of Sunday evening games in the summer next season, back to back Thursday or Friday (for the same markets each week) and only Saturday night games. Also expect to see at least 2 Monday night games.
I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like Saturday afternoon games in the fall either for that matter. Also I don't think any games should start before 7PM ET unless on a Sunday or a holiday.
Best Regards, Paolo

Paolo X

Considering that BT Sports has few subscribers in the UK and with the 5 to 8 hour time difference,  
 I would be surprised if CFL football would be watched by anyone other than Canadians living there.

The weekend afternoon games would be broadcast at a decent time in the UK but not the evening games.

I would raise my hand as a viewer here in the US because most of the time BT Sport is the feed I receive when watching games on streams. Many of the advertisements are for gambling sites too.

slimjim2

I would raise my hand as a viewer here in the US because most of the time BT Sport is the feed I receive when watching games on streams. Many of the advertisements are for gambling sites too.
You must be watching the "unofficial"  feed?

Paolo X

Where have you been Slim Jim? I've been doing that almost all the time since 2010 when I joined this site. And when I wasn't, I was watching free cable TV and usually ESPN whether mine or at someone else's house.

The Last Word

I'm thinking the Bomber - Riders game will have the highest CFL ratings of the year up to this point.  950,000 - 1 million viewers would be my guess.

KevinRiley2

I'm thinking the Bomber - Riders game will have the highest CFL ratings of the year up to this point.  950,000 - 1 million viewers would be my guess.
Since the ending was close and the SRR won, I am hoping north of 1M.

ActionNews

Thursday    Ottawa at Montreal    460k

Sunday game not yet released

ActionNews

You look at the CFL schedule for the next two weeks which provides us outstanding rivalries and possible games that can change the season for teams, and you look at the start times for these games, and you have to wonder what the CFL is thinking?

Labour Day game on Sunday started at 4pm et.

The game should be starting at either 6pm et or 5pm et. You must get into the 4pm-9pm window which allows everyone to watch.

The Monday games that are scheduled are perfect for Labour Day.

Next week you have the big rematch in Winnipeg and the game starts at 3pm et? That is intentionally hurting your viewing window. That game should begin either 6pm et or 7pm et.

The only reason I could see is that the Blue Bombers asked the game to start early so people could attend from Regina and then drive back following the game.

But that still should not be a reason to make a blunder in the schedule to affect the league's television opportunity so everyone across Canada can watch.

You have 3 games (tripple header on Saturday) A schedule like that makes sense on a Monday (Thanksgiving) Not on a regular Saturday. One of those games should have been put on a Friday to make that a double header.

But the CFL has to better schedule games when/where they decide to play them. A huge game next Saturday should not be starting at 3pm et on what could be the last nice summer day in Canada.

Paolo X

Action News, it would seem to me that the CFL did not want to go up against the NFL on either opening night Thursday night or on the traditional opening day on Sunday. 

It's noteworthy that there are only three regular season games scheduled on Sunday for the rest of the season and no more Thursday night games.

There has to be a better way than to have a triple header on a Saturday though.

slimjim2

Since the ending was close and the SRR won, I am hoping north of 1M.
From last year Labour Day numbers:

Arash Madani 

✔@ArashMadani
Want accurate TV numbers for the #CFL on Labour Day? Argos-Ticats did 902,000 on English TV. The Stamps-Esks did 781,000.
9:55 AM - Sep 8, 2016[/font][/color]

EastVanMark

It's noteworthy that there are only three regular season games scheduled on Sunday for the rest of the season and no more Thursday night games.

Thank goodness for that news! Hate Thursday night games

slimjim2

Game20142015%2016%
Argos-Ticats796,000559,000-29.8902,000+61.4
Esks-Stamps885,000757,000-14.5781,000+3.2
Bombers-Riders1,144,001,118,000-2.3891,000-20.3
Totals2,825,0002,434,000-13.82,580,000
From Zelkowicz - the past 3 Labour Day numbers

Users Online

66 Guests, 3 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bohdon, KevinRiley2, NZFan, Google (11), Baidu

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)