EastVanMark

Does BC Place turn a profit?
On its own, no it does not.

Grover

Does BC Place turn a profit?
On its own, no it does not.
True, but BC Place is booked over 200 days per year.
The spinoff Tourism businesses like Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, etc., etc., projected contribution is $180M per year economic impact for the City and Province.
Including $70M of those $$ coming from outside of BC

http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2016/sp/pdf/agency/pavco.pdf

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Aerial

Wow, I love snow but Oct. 3 is a bit early for this bird.  Calgary, you can have it right now.  Walking along Lake Ontario in Hamilton this afternoon, shirtless with shorts on and sweating, and some people in the water boarding and swimming, hmmm, I'll take some steel factories in the distance thank you muchly over snow at this time of year.  All yours Calgary in a landlocked city at that.  ;)

It is now Oct 4th. Snow will be melted by the afternoon and we're looking at +20 on Friday.

I'll take our sunny dry-cold winters over the bone chilling humid-cold Ontario winter any day. ;) (ask any Ontario transplant, there's a few of them here!)
As a former Ontario transplant to Calgary, I can attest that there is something to be said for the dry cold. On the other hand, winters are shorter and warmer in southern Ontario.

And though it doesn't have a Lake Ontario, Calgary does have some water and even sailing. This was from a few weeks ago:

Didn't realize Calgary had this!  Very nice!  Yes, many parts of S Ontario can be very dreary in the winter with slushy crappy snow that you can't do anything in except not want to be in it at all or drive in it.  Have to admit that.  
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

I thought this shot that I took with my phone at last week's Argos - Cats game was sort of pretty.   :)

Aerial

Very nice for sure Pat!

canadianfootballfan

Great work, Pat!!!  Could you offer a higher res version, please?  It's gorgeous, and would make a great desktop wallpaper - if you don't mind.

TravelPat1

Hey footballfan. Unfortunately I took that and posted it to Facebook when at the game and then deleted it off my phone. So this Facebook version is the only copy I have. 

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22135591_10211397546107628_4979940217919537465_o.jpg?oh=2bcf1bb28a3edd5e63311510b16e9b38&oe=5A435CA2

canadianfootballfan

Hey footballfan. Unfortunately I took that and posted it to Facebook when at the game and then deleted it off my phone. So this Facebook version is the only copy I have.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22135591_10211397546107628_4979940217919537465_o.jpg?oh=2bcf1bb28a3edd5e63311510b16e9b38&oe=5A435CA2

Thanks so much!  I really appreciate it.

Cool

Looks good!

#THF
Pull Together everyone

project.legacy

I still feel as though BC made a mistake in rebuilding BC Place. Yes, it's a great venue, but far too large for it's main tenants, and with it being in indoor facility, it's operational and maintenance costs are far higher than an outdoor facility similar to IGF or New Mosaic.

Grover

The Calgary Mayor vote is done and incumbent Mayor Neshi is back for 4 more years.
Flames/Stamps not happy. :'(

Flames communications director tweeted this after the results

And Flames VP tweeted this before the election

Whats that I hear from Seattle

OskeeweeneeVI

I thought this shot that I took with my phone at last week's Argos - Cats game was sort of pretty.   :)

Awesome photo

BCRiderFan

The Calgary Mayor vote is done and incumbent Mayor Neshi is back for 4 more years.
Flames/Stamps not happy. :'(

Flames communications director tweeted this after the results

And Flames VP tweeted this before the election

Whats that I hear from Seattle

You know what? The Flames organizations are the arrogant and entitled ones in this. And completely greedy on the backs of the taxpayers. And not above messing with politics to get their way. Screw them, I hope the Flames leave. That Sean Kelso looks to be a complete douchebag.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

Aerial

I still feel as though BC made a mistake in rebuilding BC Place. Yes, it's a great venue, but far too large for it's main tenants, and with it being in indoor facility, it's operational and maintenance costs are far higher than an outdoor facility similar to IGF or New Mosaic.
But it can be used all year long by the community for whatever sports and events and all sorts of functions.  How much is it used by the community as such, don't know.  Hard to put a value on a week long grade school or high school sports/recreational involvement event in January if the stadium is used in this fashion.

Neshi is questioning a new arena for the Flames?  How dare he!  8)

Flames CEO: Mayor Nenshi was mean to us, we don’t even wanna new arena now

As surprise announcements yesterday go, this was less of a shocker since we’ve seen things like it before, but still a bit of a bombshell: Calgary Flames CEO Ken King announced that the team was cutting off talks with the city over a new arena after what he called “spectacularly unproductive meetings,” and will instead remain at the Saddledome for “as long as we can”:

“Scotiabank Saddledome will continue to host a couple million people a year,” he told reporters at a hastily-called news conference Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ll just go on and run our business and do what we can to operate and try and figure out what the future will look like at some point later.”

If you’re wondering if that was a threat, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was on hand to not make it any clearer for you:

“They’re going to hang on as long as they can,” the commissioner said. “At least, that’s the current view.

“That’s not a prospect that thrills them or anybody else. But it is a realistic assessment of the situation they find themselves in.”

This is partly the old “we can’t be competitive without a new arena” gambit, which we detailed in Chapter 4 of Field of Schemes way back in the first edition. The timing, though, is almost certainly intended to put pressure on Mayor Naheed Nenshi, who is in the middle of a re-election campaign, as well as the rest of the city council — or at least to send a message to voters that if they want arena negotiations to resume, they’d better pick some leaders with less backbone.
http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2017/09/13/12889/flames-ceo-mayor-nenshi-was-mean-to-us-we-dont-even-wanna-new-arena-now/  (Sept. 13/17)

Users Online

103 Guests, 5 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, dcmoses, Hamilton2005, jim43bob, PTBO Dave, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 140. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)