RedandWhite

...bingo, we have a civic election coming up October 19th....I expect there will be many things being said over the next month or so...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it\'s all dark.

slimjim2

Simply put, Calgary is rolling the dice on a potential relocation as far as the Flames are concerned. With an arena waiting in Quebec City and others in Kansas City and Seattle, the city is rolling the dice. They'd better hope the Canadian dollar stays strong.

As far as the Stamps are concerned, I'll wager they are banking on World Cup or Olympic bid money to try to build a new stadium.
It's much easier to get approval for an arena than a stadium.
A hockey team will play over 40 dates,  then there are the concerts, ice shows, tractor pulls, conventions etc that are ideal in a 15k to 18k arena and events can be held year round.

It's a tough sell for tax payers for a football stadium that will likely be used for 9 games a year and zero use in the winter.
Calgary could host a Winter Olympics again but a football stadium is not needed,  the last time they used McMahon for, the Opening and Closing ceremonies only.     The ceremonies can be held outdoors at a temporary site, other Winter Olympic cities didn't have a football stadium for the ceremonies, it's not a requirement.

Dust

The Flames organization is posturing, the deal is far from dead.  You don't bring Bettman to town, on the same day that Seattle makes it's announcement, to announce that the deal is dead.

I hate that organizations have to stoop this low to get their way.  You're not going to generate more revenue in Seattle or Kansas City than you are in a hockey centric city like Calgary, new building or not.  There's zero chance the team is leaving.

Preisst

Maybe bettman wants to move the Flames to Albuequerque?  Or Tempe,  or Reno,  or New Orleans.  A re-location to the Grand Canyon might be a grand idea,  I hear a lot of tourists go there every year.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

Argofan_1000

Maybe bettman wants to move the Flames to Albuequerque?  Or Tempe,  or Reno,  or New Orleans.  A re-location to the Grand Canyon might be a grand idea,  I hear a lot of tourists go there every year.
L.A. Flames?

-Hammer-

I would expect that Kansas City, Quebec City and Seattle are the ones that would be in the conversation due to the fact that they have (or will soon have) up to date arenas.

KC opens up a natural rivalry with St. Louis and can potentially expand your US TV revenue.

Quebec City is pretty much the new Hamilton now, they will be the city that the NHL will threaten use as leverage towards any municipality that doesn't subsidise weak markets, but has no intention of actually putting a team there unless the US dollar tanks or Montreal gives the nod.

Seattle is also pretty much a no-brainer. Natural rivalry with Vancouver, not that far away from Portland so will expand your US TV revenue and has actual history and culture of hockey with the various WHL teams in the region.

The Flames organization is posturing, the deal is far from dead.  You don't bring Bettman to town, on the same day that Seattle makes it's announcement, to announce that the deal is dead.

I hate that organizations have to stoop this low to get their way.  You're not going to generate more revenue in Seattle or Kansas City than you are in a hockey centric city like Calgary, new building or not.  There's zero chance the team is leaving.
Keep in mind, Seattle's metro alone is around million shy of all of Alberta, and Alberta has the Oilers stealing a good chunk of that pie, and that's before we bring the rest of Washington State, or Oregon into the equation. It's probably the best untapped US hockey market around, given the tenure of all the WHL teams in Washington state. Plus you know as well as I do, after a few seasons many will end up watching Edmonton or Vancouver to get their fix.

I doubt the chance of the deal is done, I have little doubt the team will wait till after the most recent election before making another pitch, but be warned. No one thought Winnipeg or Quebec City were going to move either. The NHL has proven quite willing to chase US TV revenue to the tune of millions in losses, case and point, Arizona, Florida, Carolina and Nashville (up until recently).

Les Tiger-Cats de Hamilton - Amincissant le troupeau, un Al à la fois.

slimjim2

This has turned into an off topic NHL discussion? 

RedandWhite

...might seem that way jim, but the reality is that the Stampeders are owned by the Flames, not the other way around....so until the master gets a new mansion the servants won't be getting better servant quarters...

sambo42

...might seem that way jim, but the reality is that the Stampeders are owned by the Flames, not the other way around....so until the master gets a new mansion the servants won't be getting better servant quarters...
 R&W, do you think that McMahon can be retrofitted? If the answer is yes, would that be cheaper than building a new stadium? 

Grover

Temp stands going up at Lansdowne Stadium in Ottawa preparing for the Grey Cup

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

EastVanMark

Aging McMahon Stadium lost in the arena debate

Below is an excerpt from an article originally from CBC Sports:

The great arena debate of 2017 is in full swing, just in time for the municipal election. But lost in the war of words, according to some fans, is that other building which plays home to another Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation team: McMahon Stadium.

CSEC president and CEO Ken King made it clear earlier this week that the organization doesn't intend to spend any money to fix up McMahon, which was last renovated in 2014.

CSEC originally floated the idea of a combined stadium and arena complex it dubbed CalgaryNext for the west end of downtown, but that megaproject was roundly rejected by city council.

Since then, the city has been pursuing its Plan B project for a new arena in Victoria Park near the aging Saddledome. That project, does not include a new stadium.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/aging-mcmahon-stadium-lost-arena-151447212.html

The Last Word

I guess Stamps fans will have to make due with those state-of-the-art porta potties they added at McMahon a few years ago.  My feeling is they will not explore a replacement or significant upgrade until the integrity of the building's structure comes into question.  That's probably a few decades away.

RedandWhite

R&W, do you think that McMahon can be retrofitted? If the answer is yes, would that be cheaper than building a new stadium?
...yes and yes....the in-arena game experience at McMahon is not the issue, its the services underneath, particularly the washrooms on the west side and the food concessions throughout....it's a solid enough facility (in a great location) that just needs a retrofit of the concourse levels and exterior appearance...and that would be way way way less costlier than a new facility...

BCRiderFan

...yes and yes....the in-arena game experience at McMahon is not the issue, its the services underneath, particularly the washrooms on the west side and the food concessions throughout....it's a solid enough facility (in a great location) that just needs a retrofit of the concourse levels and exterior appearance...and that would be way way way less costlier than a new facility...
Initially that was the thinking in Regina. It was not the way to go.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

The Last Word

Initially that was the thinking in Regina. It was not the way to go.
That's the best they can hope for in Calgary.  Even that would cost tens of millions so I wouldn't be surprised if the renos are something more minor.

Users Online

92 Guests, 14 Users (15 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, Iconic SR, ed ohmnes, Grover, KevinRiley2, VICIOUSCIRCLE, raymarkca, Dr.Whiskey, Sidney, Chewbaca1973, PTBO Dave, OskeeweeneeVI, sully, toddstattoo, Yahoo!, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)