project.legacy

There are 2 payment options for ESPN+: $4.99 per month or $50 for the year. Pretty good option for cord cutters IMO.

Paolo X

There are 2 payment options for ESPN+: $4.99 per month or $50 for the year. Pretty good option for cord cutters IMO.
I'm still not sure how this rolls out yet. For example, how I wish I could order it and have it added to my Comcast cable TV service instead of having to stream the games. I can do the latter for free already anyway.
Best Regards, Paolo

300Magnum

Would be interested in Dazyn for $150 a year for the entire sports line up of live sports .

Maybe the CFL should look here for a service provider .

Anybody have a subscription maybe an American that has tried it out ? Is it any good .

Looking it up on my own there's a buffering problem and resolution is terrible from reviews .

Figured as much live sports on the computer is never as good and I had Shaws free range package letting me watch on my laptop .
I assume you mean Dazn?
If you watch lots of sports...sure.  If it was say only for CFL, no.  
It is improving, but the viewer is full on crap.  To start the NFL season it wasn't even close to worth it....slow, buffering, poor video, hit and miss on sound, games starting way way late...it was the perfect storm of bad in every way imaginable.  later in the season it seemed somewhat better...so here is hoping.  
Never really noticed issues with anything outside of NFL stuff though, so I have wondered if they have a system that works differently than other sports perhaps...like perhaps something from the NFL's side is weird.  Perhaps it interfaces with gamepass and that is the issue...dunno. If it is the same this year I will drop it, but we will watch other stuff and it is fine...the odd buffering, same as most streaming.  The interface still sucks and it is not super high quality video, but that's fine.
It is odd that it's mainly the NFL that has problems . I would want it for football CFL and NFL if I got it but I want quality picture and on time .

I didn't even know the commonwealth games was going on until I looked up what they had on today for programming .
TSN would fight this hard, understandably.  The CFL would be smart to put Dazn into TSN's minds very subtly a few months before the next negotiations.  Losing the CFL would really hurt TSN right now, and I think there would be a fair number of people that would drop cable and move to Dazn and something like netflix or crave or something.  TSN is putting themselves at risk by not developing a stand alone subscription to online streaming.  I get it...it is a fine balancing act to not piss off cable providers who still butter their bread.

It is weird that the issues seemed focused on the NFL.  After making my post I actually did some reading and it is something they are clearly aware of.  As I said...there was an improvement later in the season, and the product director (link at bottom) discussed that they knew there were still issues and discussed some of the things they were doing to improve it.  I am pretty hopeful that it will be improved this season.  I will give it another go, but it the frame rate is not improved I won't continue with it.  They need to be better with starting games live (or within minutes of...I can understand a small delay) and if they have any hopes of mass appeal it needs to go true HD....I don't mind lower quality for on my phone or a tablet or PC or whatever...but if I am putting it on my TV I need some quality there.  

DAZN is still a baby...it is at best an infant.  I love the concept, so I am willing to be patient and give it time.  It still only 1.5 years old overall and been in Canada for under a year.  What I like is that in any interviews, DAZN is owning the issues for the NFL broadcasting.  They are not deflecting.  I stall can't figure out WHY the NFL went with them in Canada, considering they had something already...it has never made sense to me...but it is what it is.

If you are a hockey fan and want to check out some KHL, get it.
If you are an NCAA basketball fan, get it
If you are a soccer nut, get it (even though it lacks Premier League with DAZN Canada)
I am hopeful rugby expands on it, but there is some.  Starting to enjoy watching the odd match.
There is a total lack of NHL or MLB on DAZN Canada (offered elsewhere, NA TV money is too big to compete with thus far).

Oh, a really nice feature is that it has on-demand!!!

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/09/dazn-canada-interview/
The CFL/TSN contract is through to the end of the 2021 season.  Orridge extended the contract in the first few months of his taking the job.   Not sure it was the right thing to do but it provided 3 more years of revenue stability.

If the league can get back to 2012 numbers then they could be actually get someone other than TSN bidding on the games.

rshmglsky

If we get a Maritime team I don't see why the league wouldn't be able to offer two packages: the current one we have with TSN, and the Atlantic Schooners' games on Roger's Sportsnet.

300Magnum

If we get a Maritime team I don't see why the league wouldn't be able to offer two packages: the current one we have with TSN, and the Atlantic Schooners' games on Roger's Sportsnet.
Why would TSN would give up the uptick in viewership for the Schooners (or any expansion team) to Rogers?    

rshmglsky

Why would TSN would give up the uptick in viewership for the Schooners (or any expansion team) to Rogers?    
I guess they wouldn't. That's just me wanting to share;p

I assume the contract $$$ would go up if there were more games. Maybe that's not how it works, but to me that would be like saying the producers of the Big Bang Theory shouldn't receive any extra money from Young Sheldon since CBS owns the rights to the original show.

300Magnum

I guess they wouldn't. That's just me wanting to share;p

I assume the contract $$$ would go up if there were more games. Maybe that's not how it works, but to me that would be like saying the producers of the Big Bang Theory shouldn't receive any extra money from Young Sheldon since CBS owns the rights to the original show.
TSN might share a BC/Ottawa game, but cant see them giving up a Schooners game to another network.

New TV deal in 4 years so if the league adds Halifax,  we might see CBC hop into the bidding process.

Paolo X

Can we stay on topic for ESPN+ or similar television packages for CFL coverage please? There is a whole other thread with regards to expansion in the Maritimes and every year in the off-season there are seemingly countless expansion threads!

rpaege

Can we stay on topic for ESPN+ or similar television packages for CFL coverage please?

Thank you. I'm still unclear as to whether I will get ESPN+ as part of my SlingTV or Comcast subs. It looks like I might, but i'm probably not gonna know until the first pre-season game.

okie

Thank you. I'm still unclear as to whether I will get ESPN+ as part of my SlingTV or Comcast subs. It looks like I might, but i'm probably not gonna know until the first pre-season game.

ESPN+ is not included with any existing package.  Anybody who wants access to the content (in this case, the roughly 50 games not on ESPN2 or ESPNews) will have to pay the monthly or yearly fee.

You can see for yourself whether ESPN+ content is available to you without extra charge by selecting an event designated as ESPN+.

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/

Spoiler: Not a chance.  Anybody who currently subscribes to ESPN will can still view events for ESPN3 as usual.  However, that does not help us if games not broadcast on the two linear ESPN channels move from ESPN3 to ESPN+ as expected.

CFLfan53

People in the US who watched the CFL either paid for ESPN (which gives you access to ESPN3) or they received ESPN3 because their ISP paid for it.  Now, are those people going to pay another $5 a month for all the CFL games?  Highly doubt it.

I do see there are early season games scheduled for broadcast on ESPN2 which can be seen without paying another fee for ESPN+.  However we all know when the NCAA and NFL starts, the CFL on any ESPN linear channel is nonexistent.

Well, the good thing is that the CFL is not an exclusive to ESPN+.  We were all hoping that if the CFL was going to be on ESPN+, it might also stay on ESPN3.  But when the content of ESPN+ was first introduced, cynics said it mostly just ESPN3 that is no longer "free".  So, we should not be surprised if the CFL is gone from ESPN3.
We have a home in Florida and we go back in October.  We have Century link which carries ESPN on the basic satellite,  we could therefore stream ESPN3 and get all CFL games.    
We were considering cutting the cord and this probably makes my mind up that I will.  
I can either use my sisters TSN account # with a Cdn IP or stream one of the unofficial feeds.

It's too bad because it means that fewer in the US will have access to CFL games, I doubt many will pay $5 a month.    Streaming is the modern way to go.

OU812

from what I can see online here in the US, as long as you are a current subscriber to a cable provider you will still be able to stream for free. They only have their schedule out thru the end of the the first week of the regular season, but, all of those games; Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, will be shown on ESPN2, no streaming required. 

I'll have to check back next week to see if they have the following week's schedule up and where it will be presented....

Paolo X

Well I did some reading about ESPN+ on the ESPN page . It does not appear the ESPN+ service will work via a Chromebook: https://plus.espn.com/

I would pay for access to the service as a convenience over having to run down streams on my own, which are more easily available and of higher quality than ever, because there are other sports and some 30 for 30 content to which I would want access as well.

If anyone has any experience for how to make it work via a Chromebook and HDMI cable or otherwise, please do advise.

It looks like even buying a Chromecast is not an option.

Users Online

93 Guests, 14 Users (12 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Bigshot, Mightygoose, tcmike, Oskie18, TravelPat1, KevinRiley2, SeaFiddle, Onemoredork, Augustus67, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)