Aerial

maybe the day will come when full sized stadiums are not needed.  Maybe cfl will become tv driven.  Maybe then all that will be needed is a field, team rooms, broadcast booths and such, and about 2500 fans in seats.
I hope not because I wouldn’t be a fan of whatever that would be.
even if the game stays the same?
Yes.  I've watched CIS games, for example, on TV that are fantastic games and hardly anyone is there.  TV shows often have very small audiences in the studio but are broadcast to millions and very successful financially.  
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

HfxTC

Why are some of you guys talking about NHL?  I never said anything about NHL.  I specifically said that Quebec City should be considered for the CFL instead of Halifax.  I know that a potential owner hasn't stepped up and that they don't have a suitable stadium but Halifax also doesn't have a suitable stadium and I doubt that Atlantic Canada will support a CFL team.  I will love to see if it will work but I seriously think Quebec City will be a better option.  I'd like to see the CFL go to London, ON and Saskatoon, SK too at some time in the future.  Stadiums there are also issues.
Pssst. This is why the east generally struggles in getting to CFL games.
You have as much chance putting a CFL team in QC as you do in Saskatoon. Hope that helps you with context.
Quebec City is bigger than some of the markets currently in the CFL...
Has nothing to do with size. They don't want a team. The mayor is against it, the boosters with the money don't want a team and the Laval fans don't want a team. They are happy beating up on small schools and patting themselves on the back... It is what it is.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

rshmglsky

Yes.  I've watched CIS games, for example, on TV that are fantastic games and hardly anyone is there.  TV shows often have very small audiences in the studio but are broadcast to millions and very successful financially.  
I don't think you can compare studio audiences to actual attendance at a sporting event. Not the same thing. 

rshmglsky

Has nothing to do with size. They don't want a team. The mayor is against it, the boosters with the money don't want a team and the Laval fans don't want a team. They are happy beating up on small schools and patting themselves on the back... It is what it is.
The CFL could cut the politics going on at Laval at the bud by trying the Vanier Cup to the Grey Cup. If the Vanier Cup was withheld from cities outside the territories of CFL teams maybe that would change some opinions in QC?

Someone mentioned why punish Saskatoon, London, Victoria etc for QC's conduct, but for example Saskatoon would be in Saskatchewan's territory, London in Toronto's, etc.  

And mayors come and go.

HfxTC

The CFL could cut the politics going on at Laval at the bud by trying the Vanier Cup to the Grey Cup. If the Vanier Cup was withheld from cities outside the territories of CFL teams maybe that would change some opinions in QC?

Someone mentioned why punish Saskatoon, London, Victoria etc for QC's conduct, but for example Saskatoon would be in Saskatchewan's territory, London in Toronto's, etc.  

And mayors come and go.
and QC is in Montreal's territory. I'm not sure where you are going with this. As for Labaume and Tanguay they aren't going anywhere. When a prospective owner opened the door to a plan to bring the CFL to QC. You know what the mayor did? He promptly locked down the site and they ended up building their NHL tennantless 400 million dollar rink right on it.

Quebec City is a no go zone and frankly I think it is for the best. Right now the CFL needs to help the Als survive their ownership.

rshmglsky

And mayors come and go.
and QC is in Montreal's territory.
That could easily be changed by redrawing territory boundaries.

<Quebec City is a no go zone and frankly I think it is for the best. Right now the CFL needs to help the Als survive their ownership.>

I agree, but that doesn't mean the CFL couldn't make inroads on both fronts. It would be more of a ten year plan kind of a thing.

HfxTC

And mayors come and go.

<Quebec City is a no go zone and frankly I think it is for the best. Right now the CFL needs to help the Als survive their ownership.>

I agree, but that doesn't mean the CFL couldn't make inroads on both fronts. It would be more of a ten year plan kind of a thing.
Why invest time, effort and money in a place where the leadership will openly sabotage any efforts? This is a great league, no need to lower themselves that way. The mayor and his henchmen robbed the purse of 400 million to build a rink in a city where an NHL team would lose at minimum of 50 million dollars a year, every year and year after that. The city is already admitting to loses of 5 to 10 million a year paying and maintaining their white elephant.

My advice is stay away from corrupt politicians at all cost.

KevinRiley2

People are too hung up on a 10th team.  Again, unless it is a slam dunk, don't push it.  I would rather have 9 STRONG teams, than 9 "less than strong" teams because the 10th pulls everyone down.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

HfxTC

People are too hung up on a 10th team.  Again, unless it is a slam dunk, don't push it.  I would rather have 9 STRONG teams, than 9 "less than strong" teams because the 10th pulls everyone down.
Do it right. Ottawa has been an amazing success. Best place by far to watch a CFL game in the East.

rshmglsky

And mayors come and go.

Why invest time, effort and money in a place where the leadership will openly sabotage any efforts? This is a great league, no need to lower themselves that way. The mayor and his henchmen robbed the purse of 400 million to build a rink in a city where an NHL team would lose at minimum of 50 million dollars a year, every year and year after that. The city is already admitting to loses of 5 to 10 million a year paying and maintaining their white elephant.

Robbing QC of the Vanier Cup is hardly dealing with corrupt politicians. It's more of a sanction.

The fact is the CFL will always play second fiddle to hockey in this country. The CFL needs to do better when it comes to driving interest in other potential markets. Otherwise, other than maybe Halifax, the CFL will never expand.

RedandWhite

Otherwise, other than maybe Halifax, the CFL will never expand.
..other than maybe Halifax, the CFL doesn't need to expand

...expansion for the sake of expansion is not a good thing, and right now no area of Canada other than the maritimes are screaming for a professional football team...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

rshmglsky

Being proactive is not expanding for the sake of expanding.

I get what you're saying, but things that don't change, die.

Aerial

Otherwise, other than maybe Halifax, the CFL will never expand.
..other than maybe Halifax, the CFL doesn't need to expand

...expansion for the sake of expansion is not a good thing, and right now no area of Canada other than the maritimes are screaming for a professional football team...
Completely agree R&W.

Didn't know that Hf. Wow.

RedandWhite

I get what you're saying, but things that don't change, die.
...yet the CFL in it's current form more-or-less has been around for longer than any one of us...except Lyle, he's really old...having twenty unhealthy teams is not better than having ten healthy teams...

PTBO Dave

And mayors come and go.
But the CFL doesn't own the Vanier Cup, so they really have no say in where it's held.

And if they did own the VC and intentionally cut QC/Laval out of the running, it might further alienate them from the game rather than attract them to the game.

I think they'd be better to take a more welcoming approach. First, increase revenues so that all 9/10 teams are financially successful. That will bring out the investors. If a Halifax team gets off the ground and is a success, fans and investors in other markets will start to say "why not here?" too.

Meanwhile, continue promoting the game in Quebec. Bring events like the combine, East-West game, a well promoted exhibition every few years, and maybe even CFL week. There are a lot of Laval alum in the league, which should be a big selling point.

Users Online

74 Guests, 2 Users (7 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PatLynch, Google (AdSense), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 160. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)