depopulationINC

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.
A number of years back when Hamilton was in Stadium woes, a group offered to build a stadium in QC.  At the time, the government was willing to put in 175mil...When that fell through they put money into the Arena.  Unless they get an NHL team to occupy that arena I would think the slim chances of them assisting with a stadium would become zero.

Hank01

One of the games in Quebec drew a bit over 10,000, and the other game drew a bit under 5,000.

With the population there and their connection to 3-down football at Laval, it would seem a natural market to try to develop further for expansion down the road.

If a Halifax team can actually get up and running and prove a financial success, I think we might see investors surface for a QC team.
 I can see it as well . There is a ready made audience and  the rivalry with Montreal alone would be worth it . 

Exhibition CFL games are not a indicator for anything as they don't draw well anywhere . Even a regular season game played in a different CFL city draws flies .
That's what makes the Atlantic football series a resounding success as they actually had crowds to watch the CFL even in a terrible end zone seats with spartan amenities .

There is an audience in Quebec left untapped . Maybe with the Premier league starting up they can build a stadium for two expansion teams at one time . It would be easier to sell a stadium for more than 10 games a season if you add soccer .

HfxTC

Why are some of you guys talking about NHL?  I never said anything about NHL.  I specifically said that Quebec City should be considered for the CFL instead of Halifax.  I know that a potential owner hasn't stepped up and that they don't have a suitable stadium but Halifax also doesn't have a suitable stadium and I doubt that Atlantic Canada will support a CFL team.  I will love to see if it will work but I seriously think Quebec City will be a better option.  I'd like to see the CFL go to London, ON and Saskatoon, SK too at some time in the future.  Stadiums there are also issues.
Pssst. This is why the east generally struggles in getting to CFL games.
You have as much chance putting a CFL team in QC as you do in Saskatoon. Hope that helps you with context.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

rshmglsky

One of the games in Quebec drew a bit over 10,000, and the other game drew a bit under 5,000.

With the population there and their connection to 3-down football at Laval, it would seem a natural market to try to develop further for expansion down the road.

If a Halifax team can actually get up and running and prove a financial success, I think we might see investors surface for a QC team.
I can see it as well . There is a ready made audience and  the rivalry with Montreal alone would be worth it .

Exhibition CFL games are not a indicator for anything as they don't draw well anywhere . Even a regular season game played in a different CFL city draws flies .
That's what makes the Atlantic football series a resounding success as they actually had crowds to watch the CFL even in a terrible end zone seats with spartan amenities .

There is an audience in Quebec left untapped . Maybe with the Premier league starting up they can build a stadium for two expansion teams at one time . It would be easier to sell a stadium for more than 10 games a season if you add soccer .
Couldn't they renovate the stadium where Laval currently plays?

rshmglsky

Why are some of you guys talking about NHL?  I never said anything about NHL.  I specifically said that Quebec City should be considered for the CFL instead of Halifax.  I know that a potential owner hasn't stepped up and that they don't have a suitable stadium but Halifax also doesn't have a suitable stadium and I doubt that Atlantic Canada will support a CFL team.  I will love to see if it will work but I seriously think Quebec City will be a better option.  I'd like to see the CFL go to London, ON and Saskatoon, SK too at some time in the future.  Stadiums there are also issues.
Pssst. This is why the east generally struggles in getting to CFL games.
You have as much chance putting a CFL team in QC as you do in Saskatoon. Hope that helps you with context.
Quebec City is bigger than some of the markets currently in the CFL...

FootbalYouBet

maybe the day will come when full sized stadiums are not needed.  Maybe cfl will become tv driven.  Maybe then all that will be needed is a field, team rooms, broadcast booths and such, and about 2500 fans in seats.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

brianjoxx

Have to agree with you. Yes some are pumping for a east cost team. Good for you and hope it all works out.  HOWEVER as a business league how would a team in Halifax help existing CFL teams.
Lets say you own a team in, Toronto or Vancouver. Halifax is coming to town July 1.
Would that help your attendance or hurt it.?? Would Halifax pay a huge franchise fee to cover these losses for 5 years. Maybe?? No they basically want in free!!! Or very small fee. Strike 2.
Will Halifax build the state of the art stadium attacking people from all over the country. 34,000 seating which can be expanded, partially covered with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful.
Can they attract 28,000 each and every game while developing a team over 5 years.
I'm sure there willing to pay $120 per ticket per game. All games and $10 beers.
That is a tall task with the new convention center bleeding funds. But it can be done.
Their are other cities that are booming and have 500,000 plus population and CASH.
In all fairness CFL should ask all cities that all business plans will be considered for the 10 th team.
The table is open to ALL.

Mightygoose

What other cities have over 500K population that have shown interest in having a CFL team?

There are only metros that fit in that category that don't already have a team are Quebec City, London and Kitchener--Waterloo...neither location has any investors shown any interest.

rshmglsky

Have to agree with you. Yes some are pumping for a east cost team. Good for you and hope it all works out.  HOWEVER as a business league how would a team in Halifax help existing CFL teams.
Lets say you own a team in, Toronto or Vancouver. Halifax is coming to town July 1.
Would that help your attendance or hurt it.?? Would Halifax pay a huge franchise fee to cover these losses for 5 years. Maybe?? No they basically want in free!!! Or very small fee. Strike 2.
Will Halifax build the state of the art stadium attacking people from all over the country. 34,000 seating which can be expanded, partially covered with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful.
Can they attract 28,000 each and every game while developing a team over 5 years.
I'm sure there willing to pay $120 per ticket per game. All games and $10 beers.
That is a tall task with the new convention center bleeding funds. But it can be done.
Their are other cities that are booming and have 500,000 plus population and CASH.
In all fairness CFL should ask all cities that all business plans will be considered for the 10 th team.
The table is open to ALL.
I think there's an appeal for sponsors about advertising in a league that reaches coast to coast.

Plus there's some history there, so Halifax could become our Winnipeg Jets.

Aren't the Jets outdrawing the Leafs currently in the playoffs for eyeballs on the television set?

brianjoxx

What other cities have over 500K population that have shown interest in having a CFL team?

There are only metros that fit in that category that don't already have a team are Quebec City, London and Kitchener--Waterloo...neither location has any investors shown any interest.
Kelowna  450,000 within 1 hour and that's not shabby. BUT all the news is about Halifax year after year after year. Open it up
MAKE A OPEN FOR BUSINESS STATEMENT. Give all a chance. THEN we will see.
Maybe NO expansion, maybe 1 or 2

BCRiderFan

maybe the day will come when full sized stadiums are not needed.  Maybe cfl will become tv driven.  Maybe then all that will be needed is a field, team rooms, broadcast booths and such, and about 2500 fans in seats.
I hope not because I wouldn’t be a fan of whatever that would be.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

rshmglsky

maybe the day will come when full sized stadiums are not needed.  Maybe cfl will become tv driven.  Maybe then all that will be needed is a field, team rooms, broadcast booths and such, and about 2500 fans in seats.
That's what the Canadian premier league is for.

PTBO Dave

Kelowna  450,000 within 1 hour and that's not shabby. BUT all the news is about Halifax year after year after year. Open it up
MAKE A OPEN FOR BUSINESS STATEMENT. Give all a chance. THEN we will see.
Maybe NO expansion, maybe 1 or 2
Good point. It's about time people in other markets got organized and showed interest in getting a CFL team like the folks in Halifax have been doing for years. Where are the fan groups in the Okanagan come Grey Cup time? Where are the potential ownership groups expressing interest there? Time for them to prove their interest if it's there.

FootbalYouBet

even if the game stays the same?

rshmglsky

Haven't seen it myself, but I hear they've fixed the highway from Vernon to Kelowna.

Users Online

74 Guests, 6 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, sully, TravelPat1, mycko75, Cool, drummer_god, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)