everyman

Yup I know the area VERY well.

Not sure why they "deserve" it. Because it's a prosperous?  Get a serious ownership group together with a business  plan, start talking publicly about it, start discussing a stadium. Submit to league. It's not hard to gauge true interest.

Hold a public meeting on this, not a barroom discussion, PM me and I will see you there.

Niagara Als

The Laval Football team and, Quebec City Have been playing a distinct role in the CFL the last number  of of years. The football team, with the excellence of coaching, has proved to be a catalyst in the development of Canadian football in French Canada. Their stadium is most often filled by a full house on play dates and, is now rated so high that it has the best attended venue in the CIS.The school athletes are also ranked high with respect to the grooming of professional athletes.
However, I believe Quebec City is miles away from the ability to hoist a professional football team. Quebec is a small city with a small stadium. Take away the university crowd and, there are few persons demanding a CFL franchise. This is a hockey town with a great stadium and, if the existing owners of CFL teams ever agree to give this city a franchise in the CHL, the fans would , without doubt, fill the stands.
Quebec City is anticipating the NHL, not the CFL.

rshmglsky

They might be waiting a long time.

Mightygoose

They might be waiting a long time.
And on top of that. They're only anticipating the NHL becubec there is an arena followed by prospective ownership group...which has a current 'deferred' application.

Before that QC wasn't even in the conversation in terms of being back in the NHL one day.

If even one of the 2 (stadium or ownership) to come around, I'm more than certain interest will grow.

canadianfootballfan

Halifax or Moncton are the most logical expansion spots.  It's really the only area of Canada where there is already a genuine preexisting fan culture.  And lets not forget...  they did almost put a team in Halifax in the 80's.  Obviously they couldn't figure out the stadium issue.  

Moncton makes more sense in the near future, as with added seating they can get the capacity of that track stadium up to 18,000 or so.  10,000 permanent seats I believe.

Edit:  The wiki page for Moncton Stadium claims it being expandable to 20,725.  A perfect capacity for an expansion team. 

rshmglsky

Moncton has pretty much be ruled out at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comments/5lm2yp/potential_cfl_expansion_locations_part_3_moncton/

Selling 20,000 tickets a game would be a tough bet. Maybe if the bar was lowered with a new television deal or a side television deal granting Sportsnet the exclusive rights to air Atlantic Schooners games.

canadianfootballfan

Moncton has pretty much be ruled out at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comments/5lm2yp/potential_cfl_expansion_locations_part_3_moncton/

Selling 20,000 tickets a game would be a tough bet. Maybe if the bar was lowered with a new television deal or a side television deal granting Sportsnet the exclusive rights to air Atlantic Schooners games.
The key with an east coast team is calling them Atlantic or Maritime whatever.  Not using the city name.  That way the entire Maritimes can take emotional ownership of the team.

rshmglsky

One thing the reports don't mention--for both Halifax and Moncton--is if ferrying people to games would be a viable option.

PTBO Dave

One thing the reports don't mention--for both Halifax and Moncton--is if ferrying people to games would be a viable option.
I don't think there's any significant population base near those centres that would require ferrying instead of driving.

canadianfootballfan

Even though I would rather the CFL be truly coast to coast, and go to Halifax first.  I cannot ignore the fact that QC has a better football culture in general with Laval in town.  A much bigger football school than any university out east.

The Quebec study linked to earlier also listed that the Laval stadium has previously been expanded up to 19,000 - with around 12,000 permanent seats included in that number.  The Ticats made it work in Guelph, and in a much smaller stadium.  The U of Guelph stadium only has about 5000 permanent seats, and the Ticats bumped that up to 13,500.  It was just one season, but they even held the east semi-final there.

Sure...  they are more of a university football town, but there are several Laval players, and francophones in general, in the CFL for them to come see play pro ball.

ToppsCFL

Moncton makes more sense in the near future, as with added seating they can get the capacity of that track stadium up to 18,000 or so.  10,000 permanent seats I believe.

I disagree.  The stadium in Moncton is a shell. 

"(CFL comissioner) Cohon has said the city likely would have to spend $100 million simply to refigure the existing facility,"

http://o.canada.com/sports/moncton-wants-to-be-cfls-little-engine-that-could

No ownership group has stepped up to put a team in Moncton.   The team better win from the get go if they expect people to travel hours to games.  At least Halifax has a population of 400,000, which could draw locally in the losing years. 

Also Moncton doesn't have the corporate support like Halifax does. 

Halifax is by far a better choice for a CFL team in the Maritimes. 

Saskfan4life

Halifax or Moncton are the most logical expansion spots.  It's really the only area of Canada where there is already a genuine preexisting fan culture.  And lets not forget...  they did almost put a team in Halifax in the 80's.  Obviously they couldn't figure out the stadium issue.  

Edit:  The wiki page for Moncton Stadium claims it being expandable to 20,725.  A perfect capacity for an expansion team.
CFL stadiums should be 30,000+ capacity, minimum, especially if they are new construction. I'd settle for 25k if I had to, but 20k is too small, far from "perfect."

BCRiderFan

Edit:  The wiki page for Moncton Stadium claims it being expandable to 20,725.  A perfect capacity for an expansion team.
A CFL team needs a minimum of 24,000 seats, and that’s on the small side. This is pro football and the other organizations in the league wouldn’t want a rink dink stadium making the rest of the league look third rate. 20,725 is not good enough.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

canadianfootballfan

A CFL team needs a minimum of 24,000 seats, and that’s on the small side. This is pro football and the other organizations in the league wouldn’t want a rink dink stadium making the rest of the league look third rate. 20,725 is not good enough.
19-20,000 is more than Montreal gets most of the time last season, and a good 8,000 more than Toronto usually draws.  Do you like seeing empty seats?

BCRiderFan

19-20,000 is more than Montreal gets most of the time last season, and a good 8,000 more than Toronto usually draws.  Do you like seeing empty seats?
You set the bar high, not drag the league down with a low bar. If you can’t commit to at the very least a 24,000 seat stadium, you don’t get a CFL team. This league is trending upwards, not down. I guarantee you the franchise partners would not allow something that would devalue their investments. Zero chance.

Users Online

118 Guests, 17 Users (17 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, tabbiefan72, bowl450, Augustus67, Onemoredork, ExPat, RichardVeilleux, RedandWhite, FootbalYouBet, slowhand, The Last Word, Google (AdSense) (11), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)