brianjoxx

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.
I say no.

Outside Montreal , there is not much CFL interest in Q.

They had a pre-season game in 2015 with Montreal - Ottawa.

4,000 went to the 12,000 seat stadium.

From the reports I read , many free tickets were given away and the 4,000 may have even been an inflation.
TOTAL AGREE WITH YOU! QC AND HALIFAX ARE A NO GO. NO FACILITY NO CFL FANS, NO MONEY!!
WHY DO WE BRING THEM UP Again & AGAIN.  WOULD A TEAM IN THESE CITIES BE A DRAW IN OTHER CFL CITIES?? NO!! And lets not think 20,000 fans which is unsustainable. Think in 10 years 30,000 per game. Is this possible after 5 -10 years in basement. Better off with one division and 8 strong teams.
OR changes things up big time as NFL developmental league.

Iconic SR

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.
I say no.

From the reports I read , many free tickets were given away and the 4,000 may have even been an inflation.
TOTAL AGREE WITH YOU! QC AND HALIFAX ARE A NO GO. NO FACILITY NO CFL FANS, NO MONEY!!
WHY DO WE BRING THEM UP Again & AGAIN.  WOULD A TEAM IN THESE CITIES BE A DRAW IN OTHER CFL CITIES?? NO!! And lets not think 20,000 fans which is unsustainable. Think in 10 years 30,000 per game. Is this possible after 5 -10 years in basement. Better off with one division and 8 strong teams.
OR changes things up big time as NFL developmental league.
Same reason why some still think they might be their own country one day. Quebecers just keep bringing both fantasies up like they're real.

Vermonter

It's a better off season topic than right in the playoffs, but I reluctantly agree that QC would be a better place than the Atlantic Provinces. 

In theory the Maritimes would be ideal, so that every Province would have a natural geographical rooting interest. 

But alas. Quebec City is much larger. And football is popular there, with the emergence of Laval. 

Ottawa would have to go with BC as their Labour Day rival if QC started up a team. Not ideal, again, as the Maritimes and BC could have the whole East Coast/West Coast thing going, maintaining Ottawa-Montreal. But again, it makes more sense realistically. 

Iconic SR

It's a better off season topic than right in the playoffs, but I reluctantly agree that QC would be a better place than the Atlantic Provinces.

In theory the Maritimes would be ideal, so that every Province would have a natural geographical rooting interest.

But alas. Quebec City is much larger. And football is popular there, with the emergence of Laval.

Ottawa would have to go with BC as their Labour Day rival if QC started up a team. Not ideal, again, as the Maritimes and BC could have the whole East Coast/West Coast thing going, maintaining Ottawa-Montreal. But again, it makes more sense realistically.
But yet nobody is actually trying to do it there. Maybe QC is hoping another Olympics is gonna roll in and build everything for them and then figure out too late that they got raped.

The Last Word

The stadium would be a garbage pro sports facility.  You cannot simply plunk down 20 suites on top of the current structure and add another 10,000 general seats and think that is good enough.  And that ignores the reality of the stadium being hemmed in one side by a building.

They would have to build a new stadium from the ground up and actually have an interested ownership group.  We will see what happens over the next 5 or so years with the Halifax development.  If it follows a similar timeline and development plan as Ottawa's Lansdowne development, it might provide some impetus for a local Quebec City ownership group to follow.

KevinRiley2

Not going to happen.  Rather have a team in the Maritimes.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

GABallan

Why are some of you guys talking about NHL?  I never said anything about NHL.  I specifically said that Quebec City should be considered for the CFL instead of Halifax.  I know that a potential owner hasn't stepped up and that they don't have a suitable stadium but Halifax also doesn't have a suitable stadium and I doubt that Atlantic Canada will support a CFL team.  I will love to see if it will work but I seriously think Quebec City will be a better option.  I'd like to see the CFL go to London, ON and Saskatoon, SK too at some time in the future.  Stadiums there are also issues.

Iconic SR

Why are some of you guys talking about NHL?  I never said anything about NHL.  I specifically said that Quebec City should be considered for the CFL instead of Halifax.  I know that a potential owner hasn't stepped up and that they don't have a suitable stadium but Halifax also doesn't have a suitable stadium and I doubt that Atlantic Canada will support a CFL team.  I will love to see if it will work but I seriously think Quebec City will be a better option.  I'd like to see the CFL go to London, ON and Saskatoon, SK too at some time in the future.  Stadiums there are also issues.
Pssst. This is why the east generally struggles in getting to CFL games.

rshmglsky

I say no.

That doesn't mean much. Would you go to an exhibition game?

The CFL isn't the NHL. Until Quebec City has a real CFL team there really isn't anything to get excited about.

Lucas Bellemare

In theory it would be awesome to have a CFL team in Quebec city. In facts it is mostly impossible for now. The Stadium of Université Laval is too small for the CFL needs. Their medias don't even talk about CFL or MLS, they prefer beeing focus on NFL and baseball (and of course NHL). Also, there are no signs of a potential owner, and it's without including the pressure it would be on the shoulders of the Rouge et Or. 

I'm very happy that the expansion talks are about Halifax. They are working that way, there is a kind of dynamic business group, and it would be a great add for professionnal sports in the Maritimes. On the other hand Quebec does nothing. I say let them starve with their NHL arena without any NHL team. If they want to see little, it's their problem. Beside, Halifax is moving and may be rewarded for that.

KevinRiley2

Unless it's a slam-dunk, do not expand anywhere.

Better to support the 9 teams than adding a weak link.

GHT120

Unless it's a slam-dunk, do not expand anywhere.

Better to support the 9 teams than adding a weak link.
Totally agree.

Ottawa has been great so far, but are still riding the wave of new team, being the "in place" and lots of wins.

The "proof" will be if they have a 3-4 season downturn and maintain the current attendance level.  
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

GHT120

I say no.

That doesn't mean much. Would you go to an exhibition game?

The CFL isn't the NHL. Until Quebec City has a real CFL team there really isn't anything to get excited about.
And if I recall it was an Ottawa "home game", their promotion of the event was negligible and prices were higher than past years.

PTBO Dave

One of the games in Quebec drew a bit over 10,000, and the other game drew a bit under 5,000.

With the population there and their connection to 3-down football at Laval, it would seem a natural market to try to develop further for expansion down the road. 

If a Halifax team can actually get up and running and prove a financial success, I think we might see investors surface for a QC team.

EastVanMark

Having a regular season game on St Jean Baptiste holiday (maybe against the Als) would bring in massive crowds.

A game against Ottawa in September around a theme of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham could also become a big rivalry game and a big draw at the gate.

Thats two very large crowds right off the get-go. 

Users Online

96 Guests, 4 Users (19 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Cool, drummer_god, mycko75, Grover, Google (19)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)