GABallan

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.

Aerial

Not going to happen as Laval controls football there.  Been discussed here so often over the years.  There is no ownership group either that have come forward as they know it's a no go.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

HfxTC

And yesterday Bettman told them they may never get an NHL club
What's 400 million when you owe 280 Billion dollars anyway.

LMAO
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Hank01

Probably be a team there except that PEPs stadium is a no go for the CFL . Potential owners wanted to expand stadium for the CFL and the university said no way Jose . Now they placed a building on the one side so there is no chance using PEPS unless they place a deck over top of it . They already expanded with an upper deck with government funding to the other side years ago .  

After Atlantic Canada gets going maybe somebody with deep pockets from Quebec City will attempt another discussion into fitting a team at PEPS with a nice donation to the University to get the stadium suited to CFL standards . They might also have to have Alouettes permission but I doubt they will stop a team coming to QC as they will benefit with the provincial rival .

Need about 10,000 seats more with some suites . 

Would be a great rival for Montreal and help with growing viewers in Quebec 
for TV sponsors . 

drummer_god

They will never get an nhl team as long as the arena is controlled by a separatist.

If it was controlled by a nationalist, I'm sure they would have had a team along side the golden-knights. 

Iconic SR

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.
One Quebec team already can't sell 25,000 seats and has folded once or twice.

Let's give the Maritimes a stab at it.

Mightygoose

3 pillars are needed to make a viable place to put a team.

1)  Market
2) Venue
3) Ownership

Quebec City only has the first box checked. Largest metro in the country without a team. A bit bigger than Winnipeg with a larger outlying area to draw from.

Box 2 is missing. Peps being too small even to expand and owned controlled by Laval who see the CFL as a competitor to the Rouge et Or program

Box 3 is missing. But without a stadium there's no chance. Palideau wouldn't get involved as long as RDS has exclusively. Even then a big maybe. 

Aerial

Probably be a team there except that PEPs stadium is a no go for the CFL . Potential owners wanted to expand stadium for the CFL and the university said no way Jose . Now they placed a building on the one side so there is no chance using PEPS unless they place a deck over top of it . They already expanded with an upper deck with government funding to the other side years ago .  

After Atlantic Canada gets going maybe somebody with deep pockets from Quebec City will attempt another discussion into fitting a team at PEPS with a nice donation to the University to get the stadium suited to CFL standards . They might also have to have Alouettes permission but I doubt they will stop a team coming to QC as they will benefit with the provincial rival .

Need about 10,000 seats more with some suites .

Would be a great rival for Montreal and help with growing viewers in Quebec
for TV sponsors .
Yup, for the CFL to go into PEPs would be as bad a reflection on the CFL as the MLB going into the Big Owe in Montreal.  Desperate looking.  Not good.

Mind you, the NHL went into the Corral in Calgary with about 7500 seats I think way back when so who knows.  But then Bettman wasn't around at that time.

EastVanMark

No stadium, no owner, but most importantly no way (as of now) the Als are willing to give up their terratorial broadcast rights ( the thing that most people don’t realize makes the Als big money)

On the positive side, the market is big enough, has a football culture and the rivalry potential is a good as anything in the league 

ExPat

They will never get an nhl team as long as the arena is controlled by a separatist.

If it was controlled by a nationalist, I'm sure they would have had a team along side the golden-knights.
Those are the same thing.  I think you mean federalist.  

ArgoT

QC does not deserve a team period.
Anyone that forks over hard earned taxpayers nearly one half billion to pursue a team that they may never get is criminal.

Aerial

Bettman loves it, now they can use QC as fodder to tell an NHL city build a better arena or else we'll move 'em to QC, just like Hamilton has been used for years albeit now FOC in Hamilton is too old and aged to be able to be used any more by Bettman and the NHL.  QC has filled the void.

Gary Bettman turns up heat on Ottawa, Calgary to get arenas built

https://rogers.janrainsso.com/static/server.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsnet.ca%2Fhockey%2Fnhl%2Fgary-bettman-turns-heat-ottawa-calgary-get-arenas-built%2F

Iconic SR

Bettman loves it, now they can use QC as fodder to tell an NHL city build a better arena or else we'll move 'em to QC, just like Hamilton has been used for years albeit now FOC in Hamilton is too old and aged to be able to be used any more by Bettman and the NHL.  QC has filled the void.

Gary Bettman turns up heat on Ottawa, Calgary to get arenas built

https://rogers.janrainsso.com/static/server.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportsnet.ca%2Fhockey%2Fnhl%2Fgary-bettman-turns-heat-ottawa-calgary-get-arenas-built%2F
Very true. QC has just equipped Bettman with excellent negotiation firepower. 

project.legacy

3 pillars are needed to make a viable place to put a team.

1)  Market
2) Venue
3) Ownership

Quebec City only has the first box checked. Largest metro in the country without a team. A bit bigger than Winnipeg with a larger outlying area to draw from.

Box 2 is missing. Peps being too small even to expand and owned controlled by Laval who see the CFL as a competitor to the Rouge et Or program

Box 3 is missing. But without a stadium there's no chance. Palideau wouldn't get involved as long as RDS has exclusively. Even then a big maybe.
I think you nailed it here MG.

brihind88

There has been talk in the media about an expansion franchise in Halifax but I think Quebec City will be a better choice.  I don't think there are enough CFL fans in Atlantic Canada to support a team there.  I do know that football has become very popular in Quebec and a team in the province's capital will create a new rivalry for the Als.  I say let's get an expansion franchise in Quebec City.
I say no.

Outside Montreal , there is not much CFL interest in Q.

They had a pre-season game in 2015 with Montreal - Ottawa.

4,000 went to the 12,000 seat stadium.

From the reports I read , many free tickets were given away and the 4,000 may have even been an inflation.

Users Online

49 Guests, 1 User (4 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
EastVanMark, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)