TravelPat1

Very interesting stuff coming out of a Good Morning America interview with Manziel this morning. Bipolar diagnosis and he admits to trying to self-medicate with alcohol.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/manziel-opens-up-about-past-mistakes-i-was-self-medicating-with-alcohol~1324373

This from the New York Post website...

Diagnosed with bipolar disorder about a year ago, Manziel, who said he no longer drinks, is taking steps to make sure his mental health is in check and remains hopeful for an eventual comeback.

“I am taking medication for bipolar, and I am working to try to make sure I don’t fall back into any type of depression, because I know where that leads me and I know how slippery a slope that is for me,” said Manziel, who’s engaged to model Bre Tiesi. “At the end of the day, I can’t help that my wires are a little bit differently crossed than yours. I can’t help my mental makeup or the way that I was created.”

While a return to the NFL remains the ultimate goal, Manziel is aware he has to prove himself to 32 teams in league, assuring them his bounce back isn’t smoke and mirrors. He was recently in contract negotiations with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL.

“I am coming back from a huge downfall,” he said. “I don’t know what kind of comeback it will be, but I know I want to get back on a football field, to what brought me so much joy in my life.”

Aerial

Well that sounds positive for the young man and I hope his life takes an upturn for the best.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Iconic SR

Good on Manziel for being open about his illness. Many people who are bipolar lead highly productive and successful lives. What’s most critical however, is that they manage their illness and allow the proper medication to help correct the imbalance in their brain - only enabled by proper diet, exercise, rest, and nutrition. Critical.

If they don’t do that, they are wasting the meds and not managing their illness. JM is actually lucky to be an athlete with bipolar, because his existing commitment to fitness should already include the required discipline of proper diet, exercise, rest, and nutrition. In other words, he doesn’t have to train himself to be fit, as non athletes with bipolar would need to do. Should be a cakewalk for him, but it means not having nearly as much fun partying.

pikk

Trade his rights, ticats are set at QB.

everyman

Good on Manziel for being open about his illness. Many people who are bipolar lead highly productive and successful lives. What’s most critical however, is that they manage their illness and allow the proper medication to help correct the imbalance in their brain - only enabled by proper diet, exercise, rest, and nutrition. Critical.

If they don’t do that, they are wasting the meds and not managing their illness. JM is actually lucky to be an athlete with bipolar, because his existing commitment to fitness should already include the required discipline of proper diet, exercise, rest, and nutrition. In other words, he doesn’t have to train himself to be fit, as non athletes with bipolar would need to do. Should be a cakewalk for him, but it means not having nearly as much fun partying.
Hmmm...Bi-polar conditions are NEVER a cakewalk.
A smart move by his handlers to get him on the national stage to explain where he is at now.
I suspect he will be signed by an NFL team soon if their due diligence proves his story to be truthful.

However he might be wise to get up here to prove to himself that he really wants to play again. Who knows...

Iconic SR

Hmmm...Bi-polar conditions are NEVER a cakewalk.
A smart move by his handlers to get him on the national stage to explain where he is at now.
I suspect he will be signed by an NFL team soon if their due diligence proves his story to be truthful.

However he might be wise to get up here to prove to himself that he really wants to play again. Who knows...
Not trying to diminish the seriousness of the bipolar illness, rather what I meant was with his being an elite athlete, he already possesses much of the discipline required to manage the rigours of an illness along with the conditioning and positive habits of keeping in good physical condition - both of which are huge advantages over someone who has bipolar, is out of shape, eats poorly, and might be stuck in a job or career or cycle they hate and not have access to the resources JM does. 

everyman

Yup ...fair enough. I agree with you on that clarification Iconic. Well said actually.

Aerial

There is a fair bit of controversy if bipolar disorder can be "cured" in any traditional sense, and as well there are different variations and degrees of the disorder. It sounds like Manziel is someone though who could be a fully functioning individual in society so I hope someone in whatever league does give this man a chance again if they really see that he is receiving the therapy he needs and wants to continue with this therapy for as long as required to be the best he can be in society.   Playing a sport at a high level at the pro level again will be a challenge for sure if he does in fact get the chance.

Something anyone must think about before employing Manziel is the degree of potential progressiveness of his variation of the disorder.  Very tricky stuff.   :-\

Study suggests bipolar disorder may cause progressive brain damage

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2003/05/4777/study-suggests-bipolar-disorder-may-cause-progressive-brain-damage

RedandWhite

...isn't drinking booze 'self-medicating' regardless of the circumstances?...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Iconic SR

There is a fair bit of controversy if bipolar disorder can be "cured" in any traditional sense, and as well there are different variations and degrees of the disorder. It sounds like Manziel is someone though who could be a fully functioning individual in society so I hope someone in whatever league does give this man a chance again if they really see that he is receiving the therapy he needs and wants to continue with this therapy for as long as required to be the best he can be in society.   Playing a sport at a high level at the pro level again will be a challenge for sure if he does in fact get the chance.

Something anyone must think about before employing Manziel is the degree of potential progressiveness of his variation of the disorder.  Very tricky stuff.   :-\

Study suggests bipolar disorder may cause progressive brain damage

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2003/05/4777/study-suggests-bipolar-disorder-may-cause-progressive-brain-damage
Chemical imbalance mental illness can never be cured. Only managed by the correct combination of meds (to correct the chemical imbalance in the brain) and wellness best practices. 

TravelPat1

The Manziel - Ti-Cats talks apparently continue. 

Here Kent Austin commenting today on the Good Morrning America Manziel interview. 

http://3downnation.com/2018/02/12/ticats-vp-kent-austin-manziel-interview-hes-gone-lot-hes-come-long-way/

Austin said he deals primarily with Manziel’s agent Erik Burkhardt.
I don’t talk to Johnny much directly. I talk more with Burkhardt whom I talk to quite a bit,” Austin said. “We talked yesterday, we’ll talk several times this week 

97valkyrie

Manziel's interest lies with the NFL not the CFL , that is obvious from the Good Morning interview....the ONLY way he is coming North is IF he gets what HE wants and nothing else, if it is a NFL team there will be negotiation because that is where he wants to be, the Ti-cats can negotiate with his agent all they want it is a non-starter..we can talk about the issue all we want on these pages,it won't change his direction, although it does keep the CFL  in our thoughts through the doldrums of winter!

oo DAWG oo

They never gave up anything to get his "rights" ..

So why should other teams give up something.

Just release him to allow other teams get him if they wish

HfxTC

They never gave up anything to get his "rights" ..

So why should other teams give up something.

Just release him to allow other teams get him if they wish
I agree with that. Meg list rights should not be available as trade commodities you either sign hold or remove. This is biased towards the teams enough as is.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Iconic SR

Realistically is there any other CFL team that wants Manziel?

Users Online

79 Guests, 4 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, claudebug, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)