everyman

I was never a fan of Nichols at all before but he's in a perfect offense now for him. Lapo has him rolling and moving the pocket and his confidence is really growing. And he is ridiculously accurate.
The West is gonna be a dog fight hey?

And we probably shouldn't sleep on Jennings in BC either. He had a rough injury plagued year last year but he could bounce back quite easily. He was a star in the making after 2016. One rough year does not mean he's done. Still just a kid actually. Took Reilly and Nichols several years before they had success. They were still bouncing around with clipboards at his age let's not forget.

Lyle B. Style

So long as Reilly can maintain his incredible leg drive and speed - he'll outrank Bo Levi & Matt Nichols immo . . . .

Nichols protects the ball far better than the other two guys but his long-range efficiency isn't near as good as Reilly - thus fewer completed bombs, reliance on some dink 'n dunk stuff.

Reilly loses a bit of his scramble power and Nichols, based on protecting the ball is probably slightly better.

Nichols vs. Mitchell is hair brane close - Mitchell could run but he doesn't so he doesn't out-flank Nichols in that dept. Nichols might have the slightly stronger arm and willingness to stay in the pocket for an extra half-second or so. Mitchell is really nervous in the service - especially under duress - he'll shed the ball, even tossing it into the stands if no one is open.

Mitchell looks better last 5 years cuz he's had better teams behind him and far better coaching overall. If Nichols remains healthy and can utilize new guys Bowman & Demski then he'll surpass Mitchell in stats dept. Reilly's bombs still give him the long stats advantage!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

FootbalYouBet

no matter how you look at it, I think HB has the right 3 on top and the right one in 4th.  I am not very sold on Masoli. 
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

depopulationINC

I'm personally pointing at Matt Nichols, given his league-leading rating, and what he did for the Bombers last year.
quar > passer efficiency.

Mike Reilly rules
Love the creation of QUAR.  And yes, Reilly takes QUAR.  Personally, I would tweek the math on it a bit...but no doubt it is way more comprehensive.

depopulationINC

So long as Reilly can maintain his incredible leg drive and speed - he'll outrank Bo Levi & Matt Nichols immo . . . .

Nichols protects the ball far better than the other two guys but his long-range efficiency isn't near as good as Reilly - thus fewer completed bombs, reliance on some dink 'n dunk stuff.

Reilly loses a bit of his scramble power and Nichols, based on protecting the ball is probably slightly better.

Nichols vs. Mitchell is hair brane close - Mitchell could run but he doesn't so he doesn't out-flank Nichols in that dept. Nichols might have the slightly stronger arm and willingness to stay in the pocket for an extra half-second or so. Mitchell is really nervous in the service - especially under duress - he'll shed the ball, even tossing it into the stands if no one is open.

Mitchell looks better last 5 years cuz he's had better teams behind him and far better coaching overall. If Nichols remains healthy and can utilize new guys Bowman & Demski then he'll surpass Mitchell in stats dept. Reilly's bombs still give him the long stats advantage!
Agreed.  And yeah, I don't think there is any question Bo has had the best OL for basically his career.  Yeah, it got rather beaten up the one year...but it was deep.  It was not as strong last season, but he did well...better than I anticipated. 

His lack of scrambling is by design.  He is being coached to keep hi head downfield and look through pressure, not at it.  in the past, he would look at the pressure and really scramble out...not even always take off, but break contain and narrow the field.  Now he keeps his head looking more for a target than an escape.  Superb coaching.  He did an interview on it some time back...was great.

depopulationINC

I was never a fan of Nichols at all before but he's in a perfect offense now for him. Lapo has him rolling and moving the pocket and his confidence is really growing. And he is ridiculously accurate.
The West is gonna be a dog fight hey?

And we probably shouldn't sleep on Jennings in BC either. He had a rough injury plagued year last year but he could bounce back quite easily. He was a star in the making after 2016. One rough year does not mean he's done. Still just a kid actually. Took Reilly and Nichols several years before they had success. They were still bouncing around with clipboards at his age let's not forget.
Jennings had Khari Jones...I see him as an okay OC, but really bad QB coach. Jackson could take him a long way...but if he doesn't like him he will itch to get rid of him.  If he like you then he will go to the moon and back....if he is not sold he doesn't want to bother.  Jackson is a superb QBC and I think is going to make a very good OC...might be some bumps season one...but I think he will be solid.  IMO BC QBs are already in much better hands.

CFL Pete

Ricky Ray is about to break Doug Flutie's passing record for a season, or Kent Austin's, or whoever's.  That should rate a mention.

brianjoxx

Nice thing this season is we have new QB s with high ability and hopes across the league. Interesting to see at year's end surprises, flops or same best few QB.

FootbalYouBet

Ricky Ray is about to break Doug Flutie's passing record for a season, or Kent Austin's, or whoever's.  That should rate a mention.
how can that be when the season hasn't even started.  Are you clairvoyant?

CatsFaninOttawa

Ricky Ray is about to break Doug Flutie's passing record for a season, or Kent Austin's, or whoever's.  That should rate a mention.
how can that be when the season hasn't even started.  Are you clairvoyant?
OK. It wasn't just me wondering that.

CFL Pete

To explain the prediction about Ricky Ray...it reminds me of 2009 when Marc Trestman revived Anthony Calvillo's career, which had appeared to be over towards the end of 2007.  Trestman's an unbelievable quarterback's coach.  Ricky Ray is around the same age as AC was at that time, with even more experience.  Now Ray has a year with Trestman under his belt, his offensive production will improve.  Trestman's success depends on a fantastic quarterback, and he has that in Ricky Ray.  There are parallels between this Argos team, offensively, and the Alouettes in '09 and '10.  Look at Trestman's CFL resume - three Grey Cups in six years.  That's better than anyone else. 

Trestman is motivated to return to the NFL and win a Super Bowl.  His favourite all-time team is the Minnesota Vikings, coached by Bud Grant.  Bud Grant is his idol.  George Seifert of San Francisco was likewise a tremendous influence on Trestman. Trestman is going back to the NFL.  

It's Ricky Ray's unbelievable good fortune - as it was AC's from 2008-2012 - to have Trestman as his coach.  It doesn't take a psychic to figure this out.  Trestman makes the Argos the team to beat.  Period. 

CFL Pete

But the thing is, Trestman's offence won't let anyone come close to hitting Ricky Ray.  And Franklin won't do it in Ray's stead.  It takes a genius to run Trestman's offence.  Trestman isn't here to teach, he's here to win and get back to the NFL.  We'll see who's right, but I'm betting Ray and the Argos have a big season.

pw13

Look at Trestman's CFL resume - three Grey Cups in six years.  That's better than anyone else.

Better than anyone else currently in the league, yes. All-time, no.

CFL Pete

Hugh Campbell played with Regina from 1963 to 1969 before he became coach of the Edmonton Eskimos.  Other than he, there isn't anyone who can claim as much Grey Cup success over an equally brief period of time.  So, as you rightly point out, Trestman isn't necessarily the best coach ever, but his record makes a case for his being the best coach currently at work in Canadian professional football.

CFL Pete

......except for the aforementioned hero of Trestman's, Bud Grant, who won four Grey Cups in five years with Winnipeg between 1958 and 1962.  However, Grant had previous playing and coaching experience in Canada, which Trestman did not. 

Users Online

84 Guests, 4 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)