brianjoxx

What are they - likely something like $200,000 - $250,000 or so apart in terms of what the Cats put on the table and what the agent has indicated they want.  So if he does sign it will be somewhere in between with incentives built in.  

Does anybody here really think the attention and buzz signing Manziel will create won't sell thousands of individual tickets (and merchandise) in this market at closer to full price?

Yes the Cats have claimed sellouts the last couple years but to do so they've had to do a lot of discounted ticket offers. I'm on the Ti-Cats email list and the last two seasons it has been routine to get multiple email offers with some pretty cheap offers for tickets to individual games.

Eg. July 2015 - an offer for 2 silver ticket + 2 mini footballs for just $59 to either of the two August home games. (Silver tickets that year were in the $50 - $60 range at full price per ticket.)  Other similar offers at even bigger discounts for games in the 2016 and and especially last year where there were a ton of discount offers for almost every game.  

His signing at what many feel is an inflated rate - would more than pay for itself.
If he brings in an extra 2000 seats at $30 times for four home games at $500,000 salary=
A major flop IF he fails to show promise by then. A MAJOR major flop if the gets hurt early and have to continue to pay him. JM is not going to come here without a major signing bonus. No way.

drummer_god

If Ricky Wiliams didn't sell tickets - a proven NFL star - I have little hope that someone who was not even close to successful in the NFL will sell any tickets. 

Count Floyd

If Ricky Wiliams didn't sell tickets - a proven NFL star - I have little hope that someone who was not even close to successful in the NFL will sell any tickets.
It's anecdotal, but several NFL only fans in my office have said they would buy tickets to see Manziel play.

brianjoxx

It's anecdotal, but several NFL only fans in my office have said they would buy tickets to see Manziel play.
Sure Count Floyd. Most would like to see him play, as interesting story. Would it help Hamilton yes if the price is right. Would it help CFL, not so much if anything. Is it worth the risk only J Jones knows
Cheers

ExPat

Would they buy tickets to catch a glimpse of him standing on the sidelines?

It sure would be fun to see the Tiger-Cats marketing team come up with a "Come See Johnny Play" ticket promotion, and then dictate to the coach that he has to sit his starter for that week.

Aerial

Those "NFL only fans" are come here come there sorts with anything to do with the CFL and in the long run these sorts aren't going to follow the CFL long term as they don't get what the Grey Cup is about so I don't think any CFL team should try and cater to try and get these sorts on short term basis with a Manziel or whomever if it doesn't make sense to the team.  If it makes sense for the plan the team has moving forward, no question.  

On the other hand I guess it can be said in the "majors" teams will get a guy for a playoff run even knowing the guy is a free agent at the end of the year and is most likely to sign somewhere else so short term signings, very short term, do happen in the "majors".  Sometimes forget any longer range plan, it's about winning in the very short term.  And of course the more your chances of winning are improved in the fans' minds, that also usually translates to more tickets and merchandise sold in the majors or wherever.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Count Floyd

Sure Count Floyd. Most would like to see him play, as interesting story. Would it help Hamilton yes if the price is right. Would it help CFL, not so much if anything. Is it worth the risk only J Jones knows
Cheers
My sense of it is that it would be wanting to watch him in anticipation of him failing as he did in Cleveland.  I doubt that many of these fans would become long term CFL fans.

Lyle B. Style

Do the cats have any plans for "Have a Drink with Johnny Night"
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

everyman

Count me in as a long-term CFL and football fan who really hopes he signs  and plays in Canada. I want nothing but success for him here. I'll follow him closely. 

I take no joy in hoping for a 25 year old to fail or to fall back into booze or drugs.

I really don't get this hatred or mocking of a young man who we've never met. Is it because he has (had) talent? That he did seem arrogant?  That he has money? That he became likely an addict? That his agent is trying to get top dollar?

Aerial

Well said everyman!  You and me both seeing no joy as you mention.

TravelPat1

I echo that. This has so much potential upside for the Cats. If he flops - so be it.  But nothing ventured - nothing gained. 

This is a team that has only won 3 home games since Labour Day of the 2016 season - so I'm willing to take a chance on Manziel. 

prairiewolf77

I am not a fan of his. I watched some of his college games and some of the NFL games.
He might have the arm and legs, but my question is on the field does he have what is required between the ears, and if he has any heart. For the games I watched, I would say it was limited. There were sparks but no fires.

Then you add the crap off the field.

However, he will bring more eyes on the league. He won't convert any NFL or nothing fans, but he may introduce the league to some that haven't watched before. And that is good for the league.

I think if he wants to be paid as the top qb he will have to earn it.
Put most of his contract in incentives(80-90%), not just personal but team as well.
Win the starter position
5000+ yards passing
600-100+ rushing
30+ passing TD
season's best qb rating
TD to Int ratio target
Fumbles will be tracked
Team wins as a starter
Make the playoffs with Manziel as starter for majority of games
Win a playoff round
Make it to Grey Cup
Win Grey Cup
Picked as CFL 1st Team all-star.

He and his agent can talk, lets see if he can do the walk.

EastVanMark

What are they - likely something like $200,000 - $250,000 or so apart in terms of what the Cats put on the table and what the agent has indicated they want.  So if he does sign it will be somewhere in between with incentives built in.  

Does anybody here really think the attention and buzz signing Manziel will create won't sell thousands of individual tickets (and merchandise) in this market at closer to full price?

Yes the Cats have claimed sellouts the last couple years but to do so they've had to do a lot of discounted ticket offers. I'm on the Ti-Cats email list and the last two seasons it has been routine to get multiple email offers with some pretty cheap offers for tickets to individual games.

Eg. July 2015 - an offer for 2 silver ticket + 2 mini footballs for just $59 to either of the two August home games. (Silver tickets that year were in the $50 - $60 range at full price per ticket.)  Other similar offers at even bigger discounts for games in the 2016 and and especially last year where there were a ton of discount offers for almost every game.  

His signing at what many feel is an inflated rate - would more than pay for itself.
People would be crazy to think that he wont sell tickets (and maybe more importantly jerseys). I'll bet his jersey sales revenues would bring in enough to bridge the gap salary wise to what is being asked.

Too bad the Cats aren't opening the season in Toronto, cause it would be an instant sellout-a legitimate one at that.

RedandWhite

...I too hope he signs on and succeeds and turns his personal life around as a result...best possible outcome for all parties involved...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Aerial

He's 25 years old plenty of time to turn his life around and if the Cats think he's on the mend and can be on the mend, then why not.  

Hey, George Allen did fairly well with the Redskins with an "Over the Hill Gang" so sometimes you take a chance on players deemed too old or with some sketchy behaviour, you never know.  Coaches and GMs are there to evaluate talent and make the best decision they can to make their team into a winner, short term, long term whatever.

Users Online

95 Guests, 4 Users (21 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, claudebug, Evil Doctor, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)