Grover

Ultimatum served from Manziel Camp

They want Collaros $$$

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Aerial

Didn't Flutie make a million bucks or around that figure with a personal services type contract with the Stamps way back when?   That one seemed to work for just about all involved from my understanding albeit Flutie didn't come with the same issues.

Is a Manziel signing going back to a personal services type of loophole, if you will?  And is that bad, good or who knows?

My thinking with this guy, dollars along as Collaros made/makes but I just dont' see that happening in Hamilton with the focus on Masoli.   Masoli is too good to be involved in this type situation, he is the real deal.

I just don't see Manziel in a Cats uniform next year.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

brihind88

As much as I like and respect Zach, it was a bonehead move to make him the highest paid player in the CFL.

Who signed off on that ?  Austin or Bob Young ?

That is neither here nor there. Beside the point.

However, for the JM camp to come in and say they want the ZC $$$$$$$
is beyond logic on all levels.

" we want what the QB's have been paid in the past "

With that, they DID  NOT come out and say Zach, they said others.
That could mean the average of the last 4 starters and back ups.

We need to be careful about reading between the lines and making assumptions.

How about this for advice to the JM camp:

Shut up, be glad any team is willing to give you a second chance , and be happy with what we will offer.  Or you find the door knob.  

Aerial

This guy is going to play in the CFL next year, mark my words.  Where?  To be determined.

2ez

He's out of his mind. 

If that's what he's asking the Ti-Cats can sign Kevin Glenn for all I care. I figured he'd want something like $250,000 which still would've been a reach. 

This will be a disaster if they make him the highest paid player in the league after flaming out in the NFL and not playing a down of football for two years.

This is exactly what I was afraid of, the team doesn't need the headache no matter how good he may be for a couple years before bolting back to the NFL.

It's boom or bust. Either he plays great and flies south, or he plays terrible and flies south. I can't see any scenario where Johnny lasts in the CFL longer than three years - so what is the point exactly when we just signed Masoli who's at least proven competent enough to win some games in this league. 

So what was that talk about trades? They randomly through that in. I imagine it was the Alouettes but guess they couldn't make it work ... we've got 23 days to convince Kavis otherwise. What else is he spending the money on?

2ez

As much as I like and respect Zach, it was a bonehead move to make him the highest paid player in the CFL.

Who signed off on that ?  Austin or Bob Young ?

That is neither here nor there. Beside the point.

However, for the JM camp to come in and say they want the ZC $$$$$$$
is beyond logic on all levels.

" we want what the QB's have been paid in the past "

With that, they DID  NOT come out and say Zach, they said others.
That could mean the average of the last 4 starters and back ups.

We need to be careful about reading between the lines and making assumptions.

How about this for advice to the JM camp:

Shut up, be glad any team is willing to give you a second chance , and be happy with what we will offer.  Or you find the door knob.  
No reading between the lines, it clearly isn't pluralized it simply says,

"I will tell you that we believe 'fair deal' means on par with what Hamilton has paid their QB in recent years, despite not having much on-field success.`

That can be only one person and it's Zach Collaros, they made that clear by throwing in the not having much on-field success part. Pretty sure he wasn't talking about Masoli who is the only QB to win a game here in the last year. And those have been our only QBs going back to 2014. 

FootbalYouBet

This guy is going to play in the CFL next year, mark my words.  Where?  To be determined.
don't you mean try to
Live well and please God

If every man had a wife like mine
There would be no war,  there would be no crime

TravelPat1

Let the negotiating begin.   :)

ExPat

Didn't Flutie make a million bucks or around that figure with a personal services type contract with the Stamps way back when?   That one seemed to work for just about all involved from my understanding albeit Flutie didn't come with the same issues.
I'm thinking Flutie would disagree, given that he was no longer actually being paid by the end of that contract.  Numbers on a document do not equal money in your bank account.

2ez

I'm thinking Flutie would disagree, given that he was no longer actually being paid by the end of that contract.  Numbers on a document do not equal money in your bank account.
Good eye, I was going to mention Flutie got it up the a** on that deal. 

Xvys

It was reported Flutie was offered a final drop-dead $350k contract by Obie to re-sign with the Lions after his 6,619 passing yard season (along with 38 TD passes and 14 rushing TD's.) His entry level CFL contract, after 4 years in the NFL and 1 in the USFL, was around $200k, but like Manziel, he didn't have many other options. 

Manziel won't likely be offered more than $150k in his first season to play in the CFL. If he or his agent demands more, they'll be sadly dissapointed. The Ticats will virtually sellout their entire season without Manziel, so he won't add much to their bottom line.

Manziel will have to prove he's a CFL superstar, like Zach Collaros did, before he'd be offered a $500k contract.

Not even the Als are foolish enough to sign a NFL washout to anything more than 2nd-year CFL QB money...$60k to $120k perhaps plus starting bonuses. The sooner Manziel realizes this the sooner he can choose to return to the bar circuit and chase floozies rather than try to evade CFL pass rushers for $100k.

I think we can safely say that Manziel will never play a down in the CFL.

Aerial

Didn't realize Flutie never did collect fully on that deal with the personal services stuff.  Interesting. 

Well although I predict Manziel will be playing in the CFL next year, if I'm wrong does it really matter, other than to Pat?  8)

Xvys

In regards to Doug Flutie's "million-dollar contract", it was mainly a personal services contract with Larry Rickman, the Stamps owner at the time. I believe the maximum salary back then was $150k, so any amount in excess of that needed to be in the form of a PSC with the owner. These contracts were legal and registered with the league. Unfortunately Rickman suffered financial problems when his innovative "Archer" sound system didn't take off...with Dougie still owed money from the Stamp's former owner.

With Flutie a free agent after two years in B.C, he rejected Lions' GM Bob O'Billovich's drop-dead final offer of $350k to resign. Obie was convinced there wasn't any real NFL interest in Flutie, as he had claimed during contract negotiations...and Doug had little choice but to accept the Lions offer. (Another source claims Murray Pezim offered Flutie $1.9M over 3 years to re-sign in B.C but that was likely just bluster from the flamboyant Lions owner after losing Dougie.)

But the free agent QB had a trick up his sleeve. Flutie signed with the Stamps instead (for a personal services contract which could have paid him $5M over 4 years, plus an optional ownership share in the Stamps).

The Lions were outraged because no CFL free agent had ever been signed before. There was a longstanding gentlemen's agreement among CFL GM's that they wouldn't tender contracts for other team's free agents...ostensibly to keep salaries lower despite supposed free agency which was negotiated into the CBA.

The indigent Lions demanded a QB as compensation although that wasn't officially part of free agent process. The league agreed and arranged the trade of Stamps QB Danny Barrett to B.C. in return for linemen Rocco Romano and Jamie Crysdale. Wally Buono negotiated the trade for the Stamps.

After four years in Calgary, Flutie signed with the Argos and was paid a legitimate $1M per year for his two spectacular seasons in Toronto, opening the door for his return to the NFL at 36 yrs old. It was reported Doug earned over $5M in his first season with Buffalo (despite having a base salary of $225k, the league minimum, by reaching most of his incentive clauses) and was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl.

Mr.

My Browns have never recovered from drafting this buffoon.

His is a stench that permeates years after he's been shown the door.
Vermonter, the Browns stunk long before Manziel came along.

Aerial

Xvys wrote:
in his first season with Buffalo (despite having a base salary of $225k, the league minimum, by reaching most of his incentive clauses) and was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl.
Wow!

Users Online

69 Guests, 10 Users (7 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Onemoredork, Mightygoose, batkinson001, everyman, FootbalYouBet, Espo, Chuggabunch, Grover, Sidney, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)