prairiewolf77

If by some miracle his personality has changed, and he actually goes all in, it might work.

I think this has about a 20% chance of working out well for the Ticats.

I watched him in college and in the NFL, the guy might have the legs and arm for the league, but I don't think he has the mental ability to be in a passing league and the heart to be a pro.

bobo82

I'm pretty sure if the Cats sign him - within days there will be a boost in ticket and merchandise sales here in Hamilton.    
Yup , sure to be the hot ticket item in merchandise this year at THF . Order now before supplies run out .  8)

Holler holler for two dollars !!!  8) Yup all yours for only 2 loonies .  ;D

Yup , yes sir , can't wait to see a sold out THF with 24,000+fans all wearing their "JOHNNY" tees. :o
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

TravelPat1

Interesting to hear some of Austin's comments from this interview last week on PTS before the contract offer was announced.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/manziel-can-make-plays-quarterbacks-cant/

Some interesting quotes

Austin - 'Manziel can make plays that quite frankly other quarterbacks can't.'

Q - 'Who will your starting QB be in 2018?'
Austin - 'Ask me in about a week.'

Q -.Is the closest comparison Doug Flutie?
Austin - long answer praising Flutie including raising the level of those players around him, putting the game on his shoulders etc. Then as it pertains to Manziel Austin says - 'Johnny has shown that in his past as well." "He has the 'it' factor." (then Austin talks about A&M and what he did there in big games.)

Entire interview is worth a listen especially the 12:30 mark on when Austin talks about Manziel's skill set. 

Aerial

I can only listen to Austin for so long to tell you the truth. But I think Scott Mitchell is in his ear telling him to say this or that from a "team image" perspective. :-* ;)

Quote from: Aerial on Jan 07 2018, 08:00 PM
He won't make me buy tickets, I think the best the CFL can do is put him in a big city like Montreal.  Hamilton for Manziel is like some rinky dink city to him I would think.  Just won't work.  Bettman mentality.    Montreal at least gives him a big-time image even with a small salary NFL wise.

He'll never play a down in Steeltown, mark my words.

What a dumb post.  It's not up to the CFL, the Ticats hold his CFL rights.

If they extended him a contract offer, it's because they want him on their roster.  No matter how much I don't want him there.
Fair enough Count Floyd.  All I was trying to say is if Manziel doesn't like the Cats offer I do think the CFL would like to see him play in the league for obvious reasons and the CFL might put an ear to the Cats to suggest to trade his rights away to say a big city team in need of dire help, like Montreal.  But I agree it's not up to the CFL at all.  For sure.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

HfxTC

Montreal should be looking at Cody Fajardo at this point. Here is a solid guy who's been coached for 3 years by Milanovich and Trestman. He's 25 years old, 6.5" spends his off season coaching young QB's in Nevada. That's a solid QB you can build around. I suspect BC will be all over him as well.

Good eye HfxTC

Not sure of Fajardo's contract situation but a player for sure. Would think TO would be happy to keep him as #3 assuming Ricky Ray continues on.

Probably a better #2 option than many others for teams in need.
Set to be a free agent next month. With or without Ray. I'm not sure it is a good career move for him to stay in Toronto with Popp giving up a top prospect for Franklin. Als should take a chance on him. They would be far better to offer Fajardo the 150k signing bonus they are about to pay Durant. Durant hasn't been heard or seen since the Als emptied their locker room, hopefuly for Montreal fans that is the last they've seen of him.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

burnsy99

the one guy forget who it was wrote that his college age kids were talking CFL cuz of this Manziel guy? LIke he thinks college age kids don't follow the CFL? I've been hearing that for years how the CFL fan base is so old yet TV ratings and attendance remain strong. So hows that work?

And really like I said already anybody who follows the CFL because of this guy will quit following the CFL once his career here ends. So really this is nothing but a short term dog and pony show.
Makes the CFL look bad IMO

Aerial

I don't buy that, it's akin to saying, almost, that Edmonton wouldn't follow the Oilers once the Great One departed for LA to promote the sport of hockey and the NHL as some might say.  Dog and pony show if that's what you want to call it which I didn't with that situation nor if Manziel comes here and shines.  If anything just the opposite, the more better players come here and realize the intense competition the CFL is for the national championship Grey Cup, the better.  Flutie and others continue to expound on the CFL and Grey Cup and how they were very fortunate to come here and compete.

everyman

Interesting to hear some of Austin's comments from this interview last week on PTS before the contract offer was announced.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/manziel-can-make-plays-quarterbacks-cant/

Some interesting quotes

Austin - 'Manziel can make plays that quite frankly other quarterbacks can't.'

Q - 'Who will your starting QB be in 2018?'
Austin - 'Ask me in about a week.'

Q -.Is the closest comparison Doug Flutie?
Austin - long answer praising Flutie including raising the level of those players around him, putting the game on his shoulders etc. Then as it pertains to Manziel Austin says - 'Johnny has shown that in his past as well." "He has the 'it' factor." (then Austin talks about A&M and what he did there in big games.)

Entire interview is worth a listen especially the 12:30 mark on when Austin talks about Manziel's skill set.
Interesting that a GM states he will announce who the starting QB will be after they sign Manziel or not. Bizarre way to knee cap their new head coach and existing starting QB. Essentially stating that it will be Manziel if they sign him.

burnsy99

Sorry a poor comparison Ariel. Hockey was always big in Edmonton before and after Gretzky. Like I said CFL has a solid fan base. Doesn't need freak shows to sell tickets. But if you wanna make a Gretzky comparison hockey in LA after he left is still a distant fourth or even fifth place in that market. The few fans Manziel draws will stop watching the minute he leaves

pw13

Montreal should be looking at Cody Fajardo at this point. Here is a solid guy who's been coached for 3 years by Milanovich and Trestman. He's 25 years old, 6.5" spends his off season coaching young QB's in Nevada. That's a solid QB you can build around. I suspect BC will be all over him as well.

Good eye HfxTC

Not sure of Fajardo's contract situation but a player for sure. Would think TO would be happy to keep him as #3 assuming Ricky Ray continues on.

Probably a better #2 option than many others for teams in need.
Fajardo is not that great a prospect. He was No. 3 on Argo depth chart most of last season. When Ricky got hurt, they started Mathews, not Fajardo. And by midway through the season the No. 2 on the depth chart was Bethel-Thompson. Fajardo is a good runner, an excellent short-yardage guy and a good teammate, but I think he's a long way from being a starter in this league. I think Argos will let him walk and he'll sign with someone, but only as a backup.

Aerial

Sorry a poor comparison Ariel. Hockey was always big in Edmonton before and after Gretzky. Like I said CFL has a solid fan base. Doesn't need freak shows to sell tickets. But if you wanna make a Gretzky comparison hockey in LA after he left is still a distant fourth or even fifth place in that market. The few fans Manziel draws will stop watching the minute he leaves
Well then they were few fans so if he leaves, who cares then?  But you think the NFL will sign a "freak show" guy?  If he's that, the NFL won't want any part of the guy so I don't quite get your logic.  Maybe I'm missing something????

Beckham came to the MLS and went and the MLS continues to march on and do well in most markets.  What's your point?  

burnsy99

I'm saying the CFL doesn't need this freak show like you think it does. Its gonna have no lasting affect on the league
Like Ricky Williams had next to zero impact and has been long forgotten. HE's just another playr.  Like most Canadians I wouldn' tknow him if I ran him over in my car to quote Pat Burns. 

TravelPat1

As it related specifically to the Hamilton market - even though the team was claiming sellouts or close to it - many games had about 25% of the seats in the stadium empty almost all season long.  One game my brother and I went to we put it closer to 1/3 empty.

With that many tickets going unused - I'm sure many were not or at least considering not renewing for this year. (I personally know some who so far have not renewed). And based on some complaints about how often Ti-Cats ticket reps were reportedly calling account holders trying to get them to renew in the Ti-Cat board and on the Ti-Cats fan Facebook page - it was pretty clear the team's ticketing team was having to work very hard to maintain as much of the season ticket base as they could.

I find it highly unlikely that they've been all that successful selling many new season ticket packages too.

A Manziel signing I think has the potential to quickly change that or at least would help them move more combo packages once they go on sale down the road. It certainly would generate a ton of buzz as yesterday proved. Nothing else they've done has done that.  

With the Cats playing in Toronto twice this season - a Manziel signing would provide a nice marketing tool for the Argos for those two games too. The last two times the Cats have played at BMO - they didn't draw very well because let's face it - the Ti-Cats haven't really mattered much to the general Toronto sports fan recently. It has become very much a one way rivalry where people in Hamilton hate the Argos - but for people in Toronto right now their response to the Cats is basically a shrug.    A Manziel signing might move the needle on that a bit.

brihind88

It is a good thing, he is designated to be a TCat.
If he was going to be a Rider , this thread would have been locked by now.

On a serious note, this debate pro and con is missing 1 key element.
He has bee out of practice for 2 years. Rust as they say is a key.

For his sake,  the sake of the Cats fans , and the team , I hope he does not come in with a swelled head.

" CFL easy street "  Many have tried and failed.
Not as easy as some down south might think.

As for the high props from JJ and KA, they have placed the cart before the horse.
 JM has not proven anything in the CFL YET.

Regardless, since the TCats are my East team to cheer for every year, I hope this works out for all.

Aerial

I'm saying the CFL doesn't need this freak show like you think it does. Its gonna have no lasting affect on the league
Like Ricky Williams had next to zero impact and has been long forgotten. HE's just another playr.  Like most Canadians I wouldn' tknow him if I ran him over in my car to quote Pat Burns.
No offense but you don't have a clue on planet Earth if this guy will be a great player in the CFL, not a clue.  Of course he's another player but I will also say he's another human being.

You should get to know my cousin once removed Rich Clune who had issues and has turned things around in his life b ut my guess is you don't believe that this can happen.  Give up on your sad freak show, freak show buddy because you don't have a clue.

All you want to do is crap on the CFL for thinking of Manziel and I get your schtick and it's the Emperor With No Clothes.  

Users Online

74 Guests, 10 Users (11 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
GHT120, KevinRiley2, rshmglsky, sth1988, JerkFaceLoser, schmenger, Ticatsfan25, raymarkca, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Google (9), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 155. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)