HfxTC

Of course people conveniently forget that if it wasn't for Bob Young or someone like him, there could very well be no TiCats team at this very moment.  
Bob Young is a hero to this league. Nobody should ever forget that.
He agreed to hire another executive connected with Sexual crimes until the sky fell on him... His ownership has been mired by bad decisions and a poor record on the field but the league is better with Bob than without.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Hank01

Bob Young is without conscience when considering sales.  He once wanted Doug Flutie to sign a Tiger-Cats contract in order to lure Nike to sponsor the CFL.  It was nonsense.  "Caretaker Bob" is a puppet to David Braley, who for whatever reason delights in seeing his Cats underachieve season after season.  It has to be so brutal to be a Tiger-Cats fan, honestly.  Kent Austin and Eric Tillman are not representative of the traditional Hamilton ethic, and Young has striven to change that Steeltown mentality to great effect, except on the field, where the patrons want it the most.  Does anyone deserve a Grey Cup more than the fans in Hamilton?  Ask the Blue Bombers, maybe.  But man, oh, man, Bob Young looks more like Eugene Melnyk with every passing day.  Hashtag Bob Young out!
Johnny has been saying for years that Bob Young is a bad owner. Sure he injected money into the team, but the team has still struggled on the field.
  Huh a Bad owner what's a good owner look like in this league then . He's probably the best owner I ever saw come into this league in my entire time watching the CFL . 

OSEG a group not an individual has never had to endure any of the crap Bob has or they would be number one . 

Other than that I look at community ownership as the best and that also has it's downside .

Hank01

Of course people conveniently forget that if it wasn't for Bob Young or someone like him, there could very well be no TiCats team at this very moment.  
Bob Young is a hero to this league. Nobody should ever forget that.
He agreed to hire another executive connected with Sexual crimes until the sky fell on him... His ownership has been mired by bad decisions and a poor record on the field but the league is better with Bob than without.
  C'mon it was an assistant coach . He delegates and trusts his men he hired to vet the backgrounds . I doubt the owner Young vets them himself .

Plus  The guy (asst coach they wanted ) didn't actually commit any crimes he just didn't care that his players were deviants off the field . You could probably fire half the NCAA Division One football and basketball head coaches for the very same reason all they care about is the big business they are running with young adults . 

They seem to all cheat and get the players eligible when they can't spell their own name yet some how are in a University program .

I never understood how he stopped any of these investigations from going to the police . Did he tie up the victims ? If so why isn't he charged . 

Johnny Ticat slayer

Bob Young is without conscience when considering sales.  He once wanted Doug Flutie to sign a Tiger-Cats contract in order to lure Nike to sponsor the CFL.  It was nonsense.  "Caretaker Bob" is a puppet to David Braley, who for whatever reason delights in seeing his Cats underachieve season after season.  It has to be so brutal to be a Tiger-Cats fan, honestly.  Kent Austin and Eric Tillman are not representative of the traditional Hamilton ethic, and Young has striven to change that Steeltown mentality to great effect, except on the field, where the patrons want it the most.  Does anyone deserve a Grey Cup more than the fans in Hamilton?  Ask the Blue Bombers, maybe.  But man, oh, man, Bob Young looks more like Eugene Melnyk with every passing day.  Hashtag Bob Young out!
Johnny has been saying for years that Bob Young is a bad owner. Sure he injected money into the team, but the team has still struggled on the field.
Huh a Bad owner what's a good owner look like in this league then . He's probably the best owner I ever saw come into this league in my entire time watching the CFL .

OSEG a group not an individual has never had to endure any of the crap Bob has or they would be number one .

Other than that I look at community ownership as the best and that also has it's downside .
How the hell is he the best owner ever in the league?!!!!!?!?!

He bought the Ticats and saved them from folding. Yes, that was great. As an owner, he has been successful financing the team and keeping the Ticats running smoothly on a financial level. No argument there.

As an owner, his on field product has been disappointing. Several head coaches. Losing seasons. High priced free agents that failed.

He allowed Austin to Hire Eric Tillman the baby sitter groper. Then he allowed the team to hire Art Briles. ART EFFIN BRILES!!!!! He almost turned the Ticats into sex offender central FFS. 
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

everyman

He and others there sure do seem to struggle hiring leaders.

Greg Marshall-waaay over his head coming from CIS without a grooming process
Charle Taafe ( just an awful performance there)
George Cortez...one and done-alienated everyone
Kent Austin...totally imploded...almost look like he broke down with anger issues. Lost coaches, his QB, ultimately the team, now his job. Guess he thought Tillman had his back. Baaad decision.

Now with a strange collection of guys there leading the way.

No matter how you cut it ...some weird decision making. Scott Mitchell has been a constant there too and he's like a mechanic with one tool-a hammer.

Hank01

He bought the Ticats and saved them from folding. Yes, that was great. As an owner, he has been successful financing the team and keeping the Ticats running smoothly on a financial level. No argument there.

As an owner, his on field product has been disappointing. Several head coaches. Losing seasons. High priced free agents that failed.

He allowed Austin to Hire Eric Tillman the baby sitter groper. Then he allowed the team to hire Art Briles. ART EFFIN BRILES!!!!! He almost turned the Ticats into sex offender central FFS.
 Okay u didn't name one owner that tells me volumes . I have watched owners come and go out of this league and no one has vested the personal attachment for philanthropic reasons alone in building a product that was as good as dead .
The man actually walks the walk and talks the talk . He goes on this site  without regard to the personal vile comments and actually engages the fans . No owner does that . I don't always agree with him on the best interests of the league but no one has taken that personal level to making any CFL club bigger than himself or his own interests . He is definitely NO NHL Melnyk .

As far as on the field he brought the team twice to the cup final coming within minutes of winning the last opportunity .

Briles hiring ended pretty quickly . Don't really get the Art Briles thing . A university coach is a university coach nothing more nothing less . The owner didn't do anything wrong but make a pr mistake which I'm not sure Briles like the president of Baylor or the athletic director of Baylor aren't the only one's  responsible for the culture that bred this climate for bad student behaviour conduct off the field . Should the head of the NCAA hand in his resignation . Should the parents of these kids lose their jobs .

Pretty sure when you turn 18 you are personally responsible for your conduct .

As far as Tillman's case if the girl forgives him for his foible for which he paid and he has corrected his mistake who is to judge him further . Good for the owner recognizing this attribute and giving an opportunity . I only dislike one Tillman football move and that's trading Ricky Ray .

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill .

Hank01

Being in the Ottawa area we never had owners that cared or had money to invest until OSEG and  They may have other motivating factors than just a CFL team .

Nobody in this Ottawa CFL area which has had a huge list of terrible owners should be calling out Hamilton's Bob Young . I wish we had 8 more like him . 

Hamilton like Toronto should have lost their franchises and maybe there would be a greater appreciation keeping these low equity franchises from dissolving .

MLSE and Bob Young that's the best owners those two franchises ever had at one time . The CFL for the first time in a long while is solid in southern Ontario in terms of ownership .

FootbalYouBet

wonder what johnny's idea of a good owner is.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

Count Floyd

Let's not forget that the team was drawing 10-14k per game when Bob bought it.  His marketing department turned attendance around to the point where all games are sold out, and this was done in a market that was largely jaded when it came to the Ticats.  As a Hamiltonian, that to me, is the biggest thing that Bob has accomplished.  I've been a fan since the mid 70s, and I'll never forget the contrast between the apathy around town after Grant & MacDonald buggered off, and the atmosphere after Bob & his marketing team started rolling.

Best individual owner in the league, no question.

ExPat

Let's not forget that the team was drawing 10-14k per game when Bob bought it.  His marketing department turned attendance around to the point where all games are sold out, and this was done in a market that was largely jaded when it came to the Ticats.  As a Hamiltonian, that to me, is the biggest thing that Bob has accomplished.  I've been a fan since the mid 70s, and I'll never forget the contrast between the apathy around town after Grant & MacDonald buggered off, and the atmosphere after Bob & his marketing team started rolling.

Interesting to contrast Young to Grant & McDonald, who owned the team from 1995-2003.  They brought in Lancaster and delivered a Grey Cup, so according to some that would make them better owners than Young.  But only if you ignore the whole downward spiral/bankruptcy/1-17 storyline.

Johnny Ticat slayer

wonder what johnny's idea of a good owner is.
Edmonton community ownership group. Calgary sports and entertainment. Robert Wetenhall up until 2012.

Since 2012, Wetenhall is unfortunately the worst owner in the league. 

TravelPat1

Getting this thread back on the topic of Manziel. Last night he was much better going 10 of 16 for 188 yards with an INT and ran for two touchdowns. Some highlights within this story. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/johnny-manziel-highlights-second-spring-league-game

Johnny Manziel rebounded from a poor debut in the Spring League with a vintage performance (can a 25-year-old have a vintage performance?) in his second and final game in the showcase event for NFL hopefuls.
Manziel was lights out in the first half, completing 80% of his passes for 145 yards. He also found the end zone twice on the ground.
The 2014 first-round pick looked much more comfortable throwing the ball. That probably had to do with the weather. Manziel was up against a stiff wind in his debut and struggled to throw downfield.
That wasn’t the case in Game 2. Manziel opened the game, which was played in perfect conditions, with a 40-yard dime on the run.
He finished off that drive with an easy touchdown run.

Of course, Manziel’s ability to improvise was never really in question. If an NFL team is going to give him another shot, he’ll have to prove he can consistently do the little things that all good quarterbacks have mastered and avoid mistakes. Throwing a second-half interception won’t help his case, but he does have the option of going to Canada if NFL teams aren’t sold yet.

Hank01

If thats Johnny's last game to show off his skills he most likely will wait 72hrs to see if any NFL offers come his way . Then it's time to go to plan B . 

FootbalYouBet

man, I cant wait until the day when no one is talking about this guy anymore.

Count Floyd

Let's not forget that the team was drawing 10-14k per game when Bob bought it.  His marketing department turned attendance around to the point where all games are sold out, and this was done in a market that was largely jaded when it came to the Ticats.  As a Hamiltonian, that to me, is the biggest thing that Bob has accomplished.  I've been a fan since the mid 70s, and I'll never forget the contrast between the apathy around town after Grant & MacDonald buggered off, and the atmosphere after Bob & his marketing team started rolling.

Interesting to contrast Young to Grant & McDonald, who owned the team from 1995-2003.  They brought in Lancaster and delivered a Grey Cup, so according to some that would make them better owners than Young.  But only if you ignore the whole downward spiral/bankruptcy/1-17 storyline.
Grant & MacDonald were great until they started cheaping out on everything.  In my job at the time, I saw first hand that they weren't paying bills.  They were never able to get the attendance issue figured out, though.

I never thought I would see consistent sellouts in my lifetime in Hamilton, especially because Hamiltonians love to complain about EVERYTHING.  That Young has been able to maintain those sellouts is a huge accomplishment in that city.

Users Online

56 Guests, 0 Users (6 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (6)

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)