TravelPat1

Well we'll see what happens.  

One thing is apparent to me. With the lousy season last year - and probably close to 1/4 of tickets distributed going unused at Tim Hortons Field last season - the ticketing department for the Cats are having to work their butts off to move advance tickets for this season. And re-signing of Masoli has apparently not moved that needle.  

Each year a bunch of us in my family buy Ti-Cats gift packs as Christmas gifts which are good for a pair of tickets to a game (always excludes the Labour Day game - which always has premium pricing) and they throw in some Ti-Cats souvenir of some type (eg. touques, coffee mugs etc). Every year you are not able to actually redeem your gift pack voucher until late May - and you can't use them towards the Labour Day game.

So I've had two or three of these gift packs to redeem each season for the last 2-3 seasons. And each time had to wait until May to pick my games and seats based on availability at that time. When I registered my voucher numbers online this year - I received a confirmation email saying after May 15th I would be contacted.

Well - they already contacted me this past week.  Not only that they allowed me to roll my two gift pack vouchers into a 3 game flex pack - something they did not offer in previous years. So I picked the Labour Day game as my third game.

The cost to add two Labour Day game tickets to the pair of seats for the Ottawa and Calgary games I was using my vouchers for?  $17.00!

That's right I got Labour Day tickets versus the Argos for what amounts to $8.50 a ticket.

That to me says the Ti-Cats need to do something to generate interest and sell some tickets. Signing Manziel would do that.

Iconic SR

Well we'll see what happens.  

One thing is apparent to me. With the lousy season last year - and probably close to 1/4 of tickets distributed going unused at Tim Hortons Field last season - the ticketing department for the Cats are having to work their butts off to move advance tickets for this season. And re-signing of Masoli has apparently not moved that needle.  

Each year a bunch of us in my family buy Ti-Cats gift packs as Christmas gifts which are good for a pair of tickets to a game (always excludes the Labour Day game - which always has premium pricing) and they throw in some Ti-Cats souvenir of some type (eg. touques, coffee mugs etc). Every year you are not able to actually redeem your gift pack voucher until late May - and you can't use them towards the Labour Day game.

So I've had two or three of these gift packs to redeem each season for the last 2-3 seasons. And each time had to wait until May to pick my games and seats based on availability at that time. When I registered my voucher numbers online this year - I received a confirmation email saying after May 15th I would be contacted.

Well - they already contacted me this past week.  Not only that they allowed me to roll my two gift pack vouchers into a 3 game flex pack - something they did not offer in previous years. So I picked the Labour Day game as my third game.

The cost to add two Labour Day game tickets to the pair of seats for the Ottawa and Calgary games I was using my vouchers for?  $17.00!

That's right I got Labour Day tickets versus the Argos for what amounts to $8.50 a ticket.

That to me says the Ti-Cats need to do something to generate interest and sell some tickets. Signing Manziel would do that.
I agree to all of this. But that doesn’t mean there’s no risk. Even if his signing sells lots of seats, JM is still quite a gamble on the TiCats part. If it goes sideways (JM is a wildcard don’t forget), the TiCats risk alienating their locker room, alienating the fans (yes, the same fans that wanted JM will blame the TiCats for signing JM), alienating potential fans, and by some measure - alienating the league and its extended fans on other teams. Lots at stake and everyone could soon be going WTF?

Last year Montreal attempted to address fans QB concerns - and Montreal signed Darian Durant to a fat contract.

That failed miserably, and many fans are now bailing - because Montreal signed Darian Durant to a fat contract.

Fans are fickle. Personally, I’m of the logic “in for a penny, in for a pound”, because I stand by my team good or bad. It’s like a family. But many fans don’t view it the same way and just want what they want when they want it - and will walk easily. If JM signs/plays in Hamilton and it goes sideways, TiCats tickets may soon be free.

TravelPat1

I see your point - but my thinking is nothing ventured - nothing gained. 

And personally I think if Manziel signs you create excitement - you likely sell several thousands of advance seats - you have tens of thousands more locally watching early season games on TV and I would suspect a pretty good uptick nationally too - even from those hoping he does flame out. 

And if he flames out - you can still try to salvage the season and I don't think most people would be too upset with the Cats for not at least giving it a try. 

If they don't sign him and start the season struggling again  - or God forbid Masoli gets hurt and we only have a couple of wins by Labour Day again - good luck selling any tickets to games after Labour Day. 

Is there a risk - yes there is.  Is it a risk worth taking.  Well based on the comments we've heard from June Jones, Kent Austin and Eric Tillman - I say - absolutely!

CatsFaninOttawa

“We’re not here to be a farm system,” Tillman said. “We’re very proud of our game and our league and we love guys that come into Canada and become CFL lifers. But we also take pride in the guys that come and play, excel and then go back (to the NFL) and do well. You want what’s best for them.”
I'm liking the first part of this. As in, we're not signing him just so he can reset his NFL career. We're signing him to play QB for our club, hopefully for a long time.

ExPat

“We’re not here to be a farm system,” Tillman said. “We’re very proud of our game and our league and we love guys that come into Canada and become CFL lifers. But we also take pride in the guys that come and play, excel and then go back (to the NFL) and do well. You want what’s best for them.”
I'm liking the first part of this. As in, we're not signing him just so he can reset his NFL career. We're signing him to play QB for our club, hopefully for a long time.
Zero chance of that happening, and Tillman knows it.

Iconic SR

But Manziel doesn’t want the CFL long term. He clearly indicates he wants his NFL glory days back. If he lights it up in TigerTown - he’s gone.

TravelPat1

And I think Tillman is acknowledging the fact that he thinks if Manziel succeeds - we only have him for two years.  He talks about ....

“If he were to play to his potential, he could come back after a couple of years in Canada and there would be suitors across the board for a quarterback that has his physical skill set.”

He's referring to opportunities south of the border for Manziel in that comment and he mentions similar thinking with the second part of the not be a farm system quote when he says ... 

But we also take pride in the guys that come and play, excel and then go back (to the NFL) and do well. You want what’s best for them.”

CatsFaninOttawa

Zero chance of that happening, and Tillman knows it.
Unless he can convince Manziel to sign a longer term contract, which, as you say, isn't exactly likely.

Then again, that's the same risk all CFL teams take in signing any American player. But maybe he'll end up enjoying playing the Canadian game so much he won't want to leave. (Those pigs sure are graceful flyers, aren't they?)

Argo Tailgater

If they tabbies aren’t able to land him for what they think is a fair deal.  Then time to get him off the negoation list. That rule needs to change and fast. Offer a contract if it is rejected then let him go. This isn’t about Johnny at all, just an old school rule to keep players away from another team. I can easily see why Hamilton doesn’t want J-bomb for the money he wants and risk he is, but that shouldn’t keep him playing with another team should they want take the risk. 

ExPat

If they tabbies aren’t able to land him for what they think is a fair deal.  Then time to get him off the negoation list. That rule needs to change and fast. Offer a contract if it is rejected then let him go. This isn’t about Johnny at all, just an old school rule to keep players away from another team. I can easily see why Hamilton doesn’t want J-bomb for the money he wants and risk he is, but that shouldn’t keep him playing with another team should they want take the risk.
Kind of nullifies the whole concept of a neg list, doesn’t it.  

Aerial

I would say so as well Ex Pat.  If you have offered a contract then that does show some seriousness on part of the team that put the player on the neg list.  It's in their court now.  Like negotiating for a house, you make an offer and the sellers put in a counter-offer, the first one with an offer in gets a window of time to seal the deal.  Can go back and forth.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

brianjoxx

I see your point - but my thinking is nothing ventured - nothing gained.

And personally I think if Manziel signs you create excitement - you likely sell several thousands of advance seats - you have tens of thousands more locally watching early season games on TV and I would suspect a pretty good uptick nationally too - even from those hoping he does flame out.

And if he flames out - you can still try to salvage the season and I don't think most people would be too upset with the Cats for not at least giving it a try.

If they don't sign him and start the season struggling again  - or God forbid Masoli gets hurt and we only have a couple of wins by Labour Day again - good luck selling any tickets to games after Labour Day.

Is there a risk - yes there is.  Is it a risk worth taking.  Well based on the comments we've heard from June Jones, Kent Austin and Eric Tillman - I say - absolutely!
Excitement for a couple weeks. He then fails again and all ALL your credibility is gone.
There is a problem in CFL and most don't see or want to acknowledge.

Aerial

Most of us fans don't give a rats arse if Johnny headcase plays in the league.  The guy is a disaster from what it seems to me, if he was really on the up and up, you know darn well the TiCats would be going all out.  This makes the CFL look very good IMHO that no team is going all out for a headcase.

This player is an unknown entity in how he will do in the CFL.  Different than a punt returner type guy way back in The Rocket Ismail.  QB is a tricky one as to how that will work out as it's not just about speed and juking and arm strength etc.  At the QB you have to prove you can deal with the rules of the CFL which is a different thing.

brianjoxx

Most of us fans don't give a rats arse if Johnny headcase plays in the league.  The guy is a disaster from what it seems to me, if he was really on the up and up, you know darn well the TiCats would be going all out.  This makes the CFL look very good IMHO that no team is going all out for a headcase.

This player is an unknown entity in how he will do in the CFL.  Different than a punt returner type guy way back in The Rocket Ismail.  QB is a tricky one as to how that will work out as it's not just about speed and juking and arm strength etc.  At the QB you have to prove you can deal with the rules of the CFL which is a different thing.
Now that is well said. Thanks

brianjoxx

Now what!!! No comments on new starter hero!!!!!!!!!!

Users Online

86 Guests, 4 Users (20 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, claudebug, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)