Xvys

Lions at Sask a couple years ago used a place-kick to attempt to score a single point by kicking the ball out the side of the endzone (to prevent a run or kick out by the receiving team.) They attempted a place-kick rather than a punt because they were kicking into a head-wind and wanted to keep the ball low. Unfortunately the kicker shanked the attempt and the ball bounced short.

pw13

How often do teams line up for a FG but CHOOSE to miss the goal posts so they can sail it out the end zone for a single point?
It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. I previously mentioned one instance when it happened. IMO it makes a mockery of the rules when a team deliberately fails in what it's ostensibly trying to do, in order to win. If it were to happen in a playoff or Grey Cup game it would cause the league to be mocked mercilessly.
My point was that no one lines up to deliberately miss a FG so the rouge in that situation IS a reward for failure.
I'm not interested in engaging in the "reward for failure" discussion, but in the example I gave earlier, the Argonauts definitely did line up to deliberately miss a FG.

rpaege

One instance of the Argos un-sportingly and intentionally kicking a ball through the end zone and winning on a rouge, 15 years ago, does not a problem make. Intentionally scoring a rouge is so rare it's not even worth arguing about.

The consensus pretty much seems to be that the rouge has nothing to do with failure. It's not an issue, it's only misunderstood.

dcmoses

One instance of the Argos un-sportingly and intentionally kicking a ball through the end zone and winning on a rouge, 15 years ago, does not a problem make. Intentionally scoring a rouge is so rare it's not even worth arguing about.

The consensus pretty much seems to be that the rouge has nothing to do with failure. It's not an issue, it's only misunderstood.
I see it more in line with the way rugby league sees it; defending team is tackled in their own goal it results in a goal line dropout (defending team kicks to their opponent) while if the attacking team kicks the ball out the back of the end zone the defending team gets the ball at the 20m line.

The attacking team is only rewarded for tackling their opponent in his goal area, if the attackers put it out of the goal, even by a kick, they lose possession.

pikk

Lets just change all the rules to 4 down football. Lets get rid of anything different form the NFL. And while we are at it, lets go to one division, so half way thru the season the teams that are already out of the playoffs, can finish their season in a empty stadium.  Lets all watch the death of our league. To anyone that does not like the way it is run, watch the NFL.

yougottabekidding

Lets just change all the rules to 4 down football. Lets get rid of anything different form the NFL. And while we are at it, lets go to one division, so half way thru the season the teams that are already out of the playoffs, can finish their season in a empty stadium.  Lets all watch the death of our league. To anyone that does not like the way it is run, watch the NFL.
What he said. 

I can't think of a single CFL rule (vs. 4 down ball) that needs to be changed, not one.  The League needs to concentrate on strengthening key franchises like BC and Toronto, protecting the players (sadly, from themselves most of the time) and building support in the under 35 demos.

dcmoses

Lets just change all the rules to 4 down football. Lets get rid of anything different form the NFL. And while we are at it, lets go to one division, so half way thru the season the teams that are already out of the playoffs, can finish their season in a empty stadium.  Lets all watch the death of our league. To anyone that does not like the way it is run, watch the NFL.
What he said.

I can't think of a single CFL rule (vs. 4 down ball) that needs to be changed, not one.  The League needs to concentrate on strengthening key franchises like BC and Toronto, protecting the players (sadly, from themselves most of the time) and building support in the under 35 demos.
Obviously I disagree only the rouge (the other suggestions by pikk are pure hyperbole) I agree with the rest. Protecting the players healthy and safety and winning over new fans, especially younger fans. One day all the old farts here will be gone and there is not much of a younger generation to replace us.

RiverCityFan

But a team could win a Stanley Cup Gold Medal with the attacking team passing the puck from the boards in front of the net because some wanker player panics and doesn't know how to handle the puck near the boards and just uses his stick to send the puck as such and it bounces off the defenders pads pass their goalie for the winning goal into the net to win the SC Gold Medal.

I think I've seen something like this! (minus the bounce)

Users Online

98 Guests, 16 Users (15 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, KevinRiley2, Niagara Als, letsgoticats, CFL in QC, smogmonster, StampsRock!, Sidney, Rick16, batkinson001, drummer_god, BillyDee87, DavidC, Blackrussian63, Yahoo!, Google (13), Baidu

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)