KevinRiley2

Scalpers need to understand their business. I live about a 5 minute walk from the old Canad Inns stadium and if I couldn't make it to a game, I would go to the stadium to find someone to take my tickets. The scalpers used to hang around the south end of the stadium near the ticket office and one asked me if I was buying or selling. The game wasn't anywhere near sold out. I told him I was giving them away and he didn't like that. I proceeded to approach a father and son in the ticket line and said here, enjoy the game. I guess over the course of a season they make their money but for a game that was probably 3,000 seats short of a sellout, they have to take a loss.
*3 points, 1 related to your comment

1. "Scalper" is simply a slang term, not a legal term.

2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)

3. If anybody wants to see a legit scalper in action watch "The Liquidator" show on television.
Re : "2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)"

This is what I meant.  How does this work?
It's no secret in the world of sales, Kevin. Buy low, (barter a price that leaves room for profit) sell higher. (supply, demand and competition dictates how much higher). All you need to do is interest a party before they get to the box office line. Great buys are often made from motivated sellers such as group purchasers who never distributed all they bought.
Fair enough but does the team give them a discount knowing they will bring in customers?
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

everyman

No discount to re-sellers from clubs.
And resellers do not bring fans to the games.
Re-sellers are thereto sell fans walk up tickets that the reseller has bought. Attendees could buy from them based on price, could be for convenience, could be for ticket location.

You are free to choose. You can barter. or you can walk up and buy at the window. or you could buy in advance. 

RiverCityFan

Scalpers need to understand their business. I live about a 5 minute walk from the old Canad Inns stadium and if I couldn't make it to a game, I would go to the stadium to find someone to take my tickets. The scalpers used to hang around the south end of the stadium near the ticket office and one asked me if I was buying or selling. The game wasn't anywhere near sold out. I told him I was giving them away and he didn't like that. I proceeded to approach a father and son in the ticket line and said here, enjoy the game. I guess over the course of a season they make their money but for a game that was probably 3,000 seats short of a sellout, they have to take a loss.

2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)

3. If anybody wants to see a legit scalper in action watch "The Liquidator" show on television.
Re : "2. many street "ticket resellers" can, and often do, earn more when the attendance is not near capacity. ("walk up" demand is a big factor.)"

I think they get their tickets relatively cheap and are still able to turn a profit. If they paid season ticket price and still sell at less than face value, there is still room for a profit. Lots of season ticket holders dumping seats for non-popular games. I prefer to get them into the hands of people wanting to go rather than someone who will just flip them. Check out how many 'single mom wanting to take my son to his first game but I can't afford tickets' ads on Kijiji the day before a game or event.

KevinRiley2

No discount to re-sellers from clubs.
And resellers do not bring fans to the games.
Re-sellers are thereto sell fans walk up tickets that the reseller has bought. Attendees could buy from them based on price, could be for convenience, could be for ticket location.

You are free to choose. You can barter. or you can walk up and buy at the window. or you could buy in advance.
Thanks!  I always wondered how that worked.

KevinRiley2

I think they get their tickets relatively cheap and are still able to turn a profit. If they paid season ticket price and still sell at less than face value, there is still room for a profit. Lots of season ticket holders dumping seats for non-popular games. I prefer to get them into the hands of people wanting to go rather than someone who will just flip them. Check out how many 'single mom wanting to take my son to his first game but I can't afford tickets' ads on Kijiji the day before a game or event.
Re : "'single mom wanting to take my son to his first game but I can't afford tickets'

LOL.  That is nuts.

RiverCityFan

Re : "'single mom wanting to take my son to his first game but I can't afford tickets'

LOL.  That is nuts.
I have seen my tickets up for sale minutes after I sold them to this poor soul...

KevinRiley2

LOL.  That is nuts.
I have seen my tickets up for sale minutes after I sold them to this poor soul...
Forgive me but that is hilarious.  People are awful.  :)

everyman

People are capitalists.

Users Online

58 Guests, 2 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aqualung1, Sidney, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)